Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if someone here might be able to help me out. I have a large picture window that I would love to use along with the AtmosFEARfx ghosts DVD but I'm struggling with how to make it work. Since I don't have a giant TV to put in the window, could it be done with a projector?? If so, how?

I would think that the projector would need to project onto a board or wall or something and would need some space between that and the projector, therefore leaving too much distance and making it hard to see?

Any help in figuring this out would be great. I don't have a projector so I can't play around with it. Just trying to figure it out to see if it can work in this way before I get one.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You would need to run a projector to cover the whole window then. You can project your video from inside the room, most projectors have a function to reverse the image. Just use the versions of the video that has a background, like it is shown in the yourtube link. You would then just have to hang a white sheet over the window, clamp or tack it down to eliminate creases. This is how I run Hallowindow.

I bought this DVD this year too and plan on running two of the variants. Coming out of the wall and the passing by the window effects. I'm using a huge TV and plexi for the window and a projector hidden for the wall.

The spectors rock, but the way the video is setup kinda sux. You have to choose between scare and passing thru, but couldn't select both. So I had to rip the DVD and make my own with both effects included.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just to be clear, El Guapo is talking about rear projection. You hang a sheet, a shower curtain liner, or theatrical scrim in the window, project on to it and from outside it appears in the window.

Look for a short throw projector. One should be able to cover your window from two or three feet away. A regular throw might take ten feet, which can be logistically challenging. Also, don't get suckered by anyone selling high priced projection material. I use a $5 shower curtain liner.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad you mentioned this because I was about to plunk down some $$ for mylar paper. A clear liner or white? I might not have much say on the projector as I am going to try and borrow one from work until I can invest in one myself next year. I've got about 10 feet from the wall and window.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Another option is the white nylon "water resistant" shower liners Dollar General and Walmart sell for less than $8. I like them better than vinyl because they diffuse the image just slightly and don't reflect outside light like vinyl can. There's no give in the fabric, so you can stretch them more tightly across the window and secure with tacks, without fear of tearing. A word of advice, leave them full size and just let the extra hang. They fray if cut, a lot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The spectors rock, but the way the video is setup kinda sux. You have to choose between scare and passing thru, but couldn't select both. So I had to rip the DVD and make my own with both effects included.
Sorry to hijack this post, but ElGuapoGuano, what program did you use to rip your DVD? I have this one, and want to use two different ghosts in two different windows, but every program I've used says that the DVD is copywritten and can't be copied.

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I used an old version of DVDfab. It was DVDfab Platinum 4. That took out the video clips, then I used Windows Live Movie maker to make my DVD. Windows Live Movie maker automatically makes the DVD start without a menu and repeat by default, just keep hitting "next".

Not sure if the latest version of that software would work or not, I do see free trials with a quick google search, but who knows what that means...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks, I'll try this DVDfab if I can find it. I tried Windows Live Movie with just the files on the DVD and no luck. Maybe this DVDfab will work. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Instead of hitting "next", why not use DVDshrink and copy the the same files over and over again until they fill up a dvd. That way once you press play it will continously play nonstop until you reach the end of the dvd- 5hrs later:D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Im trying to incorporate the AtmosFear Zombie one into a walk by scare. I'm concerned that a lone white screen will give away the effect before it starts. Is there any other material that may be good for this setup. Looking to do a wall banger type application.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
I have the Hallowindows DVDs and use a white shower curtain liner taped infront of the large picture window. I then have the projector place under the window projecting back into a 3'x3' mirror (found in the garbage) about 4' away from the window which bounces the image back on to the curtain. This way I'm not tying up 8' of floor space in the room to project the image across and less chance of someone walking infront of the projection.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For those that have this DVD, how long is each section? I ordered the DVD but it won' be here for another week.

·
Registered
645 Posts
http://hallowindow.blogspot.com/2009/06/improving-contrast-with-black-scrim.html I just finished a project using speaker cloth from Jo-Ann Fabrics, I do believe this speaker cloth would make excellent scrim! I'll be testing it in the next couple weeks and if it works as I believe it will I'll be covering one of my windows with it and then putting the rear projection screen behind it.

http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-black-speaker-cloth/zprd_03514023a/

Although somone on another forum for AV enthusiasts recommends Jet Set from Joann Fabrics, much cheaper than speaker cloth and it comes in black. I haven't tried it yet...

http://www.joann.com/sew-classic-knits-jet-set/prd32706/#

Im trying to incorporate the AtmosFear Zombie one into a walk by scare. I'm concerned that a lone white screen will give away the effect before it starts. Is there any other material that may be good for this setup. Looking to do a wall banger type application.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts