Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up. I just visited my local Spirit Halloween store and they had almost all of the Atmosfear FX video DVD's for sale for buy one get one free for 50 bucks. 50 bucks is outrageous for one, but for 2, making it 25 bucks a piece is not bad at all. Sadly, I just ordered a bunch off of Ebay for around 30 bucks a piece... the cheapest I could find them.

I never would have thought to even check Spirit. I knew they had them but never thought the'd be 25 bucks. Not a bad deal if you are collecting them and buying a bunch. If you only want one.. then not so much.

Anyway... I hope that helps someone that's looking for them.

Pat

·
Registered
13,902 Posts
What did you pick up? I have the understanding that the SH deal is a DVD of your choice and with it you get a specific older DVD title as the second, forgot the title.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you pick up? I have the understanding that the SH deal is a DVD of your choice and with it you get a specific older DVD title as the second, forgot the title.
hmmm... I didn't see that mentioned, but I suppose that could be the case. That would be a bummer.

I actually didn't buy any. Through Ebay, I already ordered all the ones I didn't have already.
Pat

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Ghost of Spookie is right. You get two DVDs (actually the one you pick and a "bonus" DVD) but the second one is what you will find in dollar stores. You can't even call them "B" movies; more like "C."

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ghost of Spookie is right. You get two DVDs (actually the one you pick and a "bonus" DVD) but the second one is what you will find in dollar stores. You can't even call them "B" movies; more like "C."
oh, OK. Sorry bout that everyone. Thought I was passing along a decent deal. I didn't realize that.

Well, I guess I did ok with my 30 or so dollar Ebay DVD's then. :)

Thanks for clarifying.

Pat

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
oh, OK. Sorry bout that everyone. Thought I was passing along a decent deal. I didn't realize that.

Well, I guess I did ok with my 30 or so dollar Ebay DVD's then. :)

Thanks for clarifying.

Pat
I took the bait on Ghostly Apparitions via Spirit. But believe I at least used a 20% off in-store coupon. The Shades of Evil DVD it came with is completely unusable for my purposes--too, um; not the right fit. Wonder if it's kosher to sell it separately on eBay?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I took the bait on Ghostly Apparitions via Spirit. But believe I at least used a 20% off in-store coupon. The Shades of Evil DVD it came with is completely unusable for my purposes--too, um; not the right fit. Wonder if it's kosher to sell it separately on eBay?
I don't see why not. It is yours after all.

·
Registered
13,902 Posts
I took another look at the Blood Walls and Shades of Evil DVDs and both aren't bad. I wouldn't call them B or C videos, they are simply done looks however if that's what is meant by them. I have some other early AtmosFearFX DVDs and they are well done and offer many options for playback. These particular two DVDs were among the very early attempts at giving haunters video projections. I'm not into the Shades of Evil projection myself (think it is basically shadow projections from what I saw) but the Blood Walls would be more to my liking. It's just bloody writings appearing and dripping blood appearing. Gory as you want to make it I guess. I saw someone's video of last year when they used this as a house projection and it came out pretty cool actually. Personally I downplay blood and gore because we have so many little kids coming ToTing. If I were using it during a teen or adult party for example, I wouldn't have a problem using it at all.

I went to SH site and clicked on the promo ad for these items and those two DVDs are matched up to more current DVDs. Don't know if it's written in stone that you can't switch one out for the other but assume not. If anyone has bought the special combo pack from SH, maybe you can add your comments.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I took another look at the Blood Walls and Shades of Evil DVDs and both aren't bad. I wouldn't call them B or C videos, they are simply done looks however if that's what is meant by them. I have some other early AtmosFearFX DVDs and they are well done and offer many options for playback. These particular two DVDs were among the very early attempts at giving haunters video projections. I'm not into the Shades of Evil projection myself (think it is basically shadow projections from what I saw) but the Blood Walls would be more to my liking. It's just bloody writings appearing and dripping blood appearing. Gory as you want to make it I guess. I saw someone's video of last year when they used this as a house projection and it came out pretty cool actually. Personally I downplay blood and gore because we have so many little kids coming ToTing. If I were using it during a teen or adult party for example, I wouldn't have a problem using it at all.

I went to SH site and clicked on the promo ad for these items and those two DVDs are matched up to more current DVDs. Don't know if it's written in stone that you can't switch one out for the other but assume not. If anyone has bought the special combo pack from SH, maybe you can add your comments.
The combo ones I've seen at my local SH are all packaged as a single, shrink-wrapped DVD box. You purchase the "main" title you want and then get whatever AtmosFX has pre-decided to package with it. For my Ghostly Apparitions DVD, it simply came in the single DVD form-factor box and include Shades of Evil. No mixing and matching possible by the customer. Blood Walls looks quite cool. But like you Spookie, due to so many little kids coming to my yard haunt, I do absolutely no guts, gore, or even startles. Wouldn't say Shades of Evil is inherently "bad" production-value wise. Just too gruesome for my yard haunt. I go for more of a Disney's Haunted Mansion look / feel / vibe. Spooky illusions.

I also live in the buckle of the bible belt; so half the neighborhood clears out completely on Halloween Night. I guess to head to local evangelical / baptist churches for Harvest celebrations. So I also try to be respectful there as well. I grew up in New England in a predominantly Catholic state. Halloween was never an issue there. Just plain fun for kids and adults, and quite secular.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Heck....I purchased the Ghostly Apparitions combo pack, it came with the shades of evil DVD. I got it home and opened it up only to discover it was an empty box. I looked at the cover and sure enough, it said for display purposes only. I immediately called the store and the manager said to bring it back,

It was a simple mistake and they made it right. Just wish I would have remembered I already had a Shades of Evil DVD on the shelf.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Heck....I purchased the Ghostly Apparitions combo pack, it came with the shades of evil DVD. I got it home and opened it up only to discover it was an empty box. I looked at the cover and sure enough, it said for display purposes only. I immediately called the store and the manager said to bring it back,

It was a simple mistake and they made it right. Just wish I would have remembered I already had a Shades of Evil DVD on the shelf.
Sorry you had trouble but glad they took care of you. I almost made the same mistake, because that's exactly how Spirit had its AtmosFX display set-up at my local store--the rear of the cardboard projection housing, with the LCD TV above, has a rack of all the DVDs being sold. But yep, they're only for display purposes. Fortunately when I bought mine, the cashier and/or manager corrected me and said they had the DVDs for sale up front. It's a little confusing. So if Spirit continues its partnership with AtmosFX next season, and I hope they do, they alter the set-up slightly so no one makes that mistake.

Really ought to say Display Copy Only quite clearly on the front cover. And/or have its UPC bard code obscured so it won't scan at the register.

Incidentally, I really do love the AtmosfearFX in-store cardboard display. That's precisely what I wish I had rather than have to deal with creating a Projection Mausoleum out of a Big Lots vinyl greenhouse like I've been considering over on this thread:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/136381-repurpose-inexpensive-cardboard-childrens-playhouse-into-yard-haunt-mausoleum.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ive noticed at my store that the customers dont even look at the price. They just say "I want this one" and then when we ring it up they are so confused by the total of the purchase, They dont read the big sign that says 49.99 lol. It IS a rip off but luckily for spirit shoppers, something is gonna happen with the dvds after a couple weeks in october lol. Hint hint wink wink *cough cough*39.99*cough cough*

·
Registered
306 Posts
I went on Amazon and found "Bone Chillers" for $39 and free shipping for Amazon Prime. I highly recommend this projection dvd. I have it playing already and people and cars are stopping and watching. Yesterday someone stopped by and asked how it was done.

·
Registered
258 Posts
These DVD's are only $25 at the Spirit store after Halloween.
Seems reasonable.

They should bundle all of these separate DVD's into one full DVD.
I'd gladly pay for the convenience. It would add more variety and prevent folks from changing discs and loading different DVD's throughout the night.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
These DVD's are only $25 at the Spirit store after Halloween.
Seems reasonable.

They should bundle all of these separate DVD's into one full DVD.
I'd gladly pay for the convenience. It would add more variety and prevent folks from changing discs and loading different DVD's throughout the night.
It's too bad the $25 price isn't honored at SpiritHalloween.com--or at least it looks like there are no sales for these DVDs through the online store.

·
Registered
258 Posts
FWIW, I just read on the AtmosfearFX blog that there's a huge difference in resolution between the DVD and the digital downloads, which is why the downloads are more expensive ($60). I bought the Ghostly Apparitions DVD only to find out that the videos are 640x380, which is kinda sad. It turns out that the downloads are 1920x1080, so they have six times as much detail. You need to make sure that your projector supports 1080 resolution before springing for the extra cost - most of the reasonably priced projectors are SD instead of HD.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FWIW, I just read on the AtmosfearFX blog that there's a huge difference in resolution between the DVD and the digital downloads, which is why the downloads are more expensive ($60). I bought the Ghostly Apparitions DVD only to find out that the videos are 640x380, which is kinda sad. It turns out that the downloads are 1920x1080, so they have six times as much detail. You need to make sure that your projector supports 1080 resolution before springing for the extra cost - most of the reasonably priced projectors are SD instead of HD.

This is good info. Thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware that there was THAT big of a jump in resolution between the two. Good to know.

As you said, the problem is having or affording a good HD projector to go with the higher quality file.

Pat

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
This is good info. Thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware that there was THAT big of a jump in resolution between the two. Good to know.

As you said, the problem is having or affording a good HD projector to go with the higher quality file.

Pat
Definitely nice to know. For my home haunt window rear projections though, the lower resolution of my $90-used-off-eBay XD500U units is perfectly fine. With Halloween projections, lunmens, or so it seems to me, is more important than HD. You don't want the truly awful resolution of the toy projectors (e.g. Discovery Wonderwall) for most of the AtomsfearFX DVDs. Although I use that model for my singing pumpkins Jamboree on the lawn; looks fine and kids love it.

Sorry Pampered Chef Girl, I've never viewed the Shades of Evil DVD. Wouldn't work for my family-friendly haunt. Maybe someone else can help you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts