Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Has anyone has experience with Spectral Illusions digital projections? I see many great postings related to atmosFEAR fx and I'm interested in getting the Zombie Invasion for sure and likely also the Ghosts as well.

Spectal Illusions has the Ghost of Prudence Primm ghost digital projection that looks pretty cool... think its listed at $25 on their website AND are digital downloads WINZIP files so it sounds like there is no fuss with a DVD player. They also have Daisy the Ghost Bride (I've seen a few posting of her on here). How do these compare to atmosFEAR FX? My local Spirit store doesn't have the atmosFEAR FX DVDs yet and I'm thinking if I can find a white shower curtain and projector today... I can buy the digital download and SEE how it works tonight! I'll wait for atmosFEAR FX if you think it's worth it - or of course get all of them if both are good. Just was hoping to try something today!

Sorry for long post - happy Sunday!

HarleyQuinn07

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hello. I actually have some of videos from SI. And I have most of the AFX DVD's. I like them both. With AFX I was taking a chance because I didn't see all of what the DVD had to offer. AFX also has a high resolution and the quality is very good and clear. With SI, you see what you're getting (when you look past the watermark). The video quality is good, too. The resolution isn't as high compared AFX.
But yeah, I do like them both.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback davensj and dscrimager! :D

So far, I ended up buying Prudence Primm from Spectral Illusions (love her) and both Zombie Invasion and Jack-o-lantern Jamboree from AFX. I plan to rear project the Zombies in a window and play the pumpkins outside.

My current challenge is figuring out easiest way to save / burn the DVD to USB so I can play it from a multi-media device - then figuring out how to mix the AFX and SI images to play on loop from handheld multi-media player. Once I figure this out, I'll get Ghostly Apparitions from AFX and maybe 1-2 more from SI and mix them up to play in a looped fashion in the yard.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
HarleyQuinn07

·
Registered
244 Posts
Best way to copy a DVD to AVI (or other output types) is using software called Handbrake. It's free and fast.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have spectral illusions "Daisy" the ghost bride. I love it!!! I got it last year just a few days before Halloween and had no problems getting it set up in time. I highly recommend getting her.

·
Registered
176 Posts
HQ, those choices are great for projection. I also have Prudence. It's fun, LOL. I'm using HandBrake to get copies on my iPod Touch. It's super easy to use. The only DVD that gave me issues was Unliving Portraits. The sound was out of sync with the video. I corrected the sync with another software. I haven't had any issues with the other AFX DVD's using HandBrake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@billwoodi'm not a part of the OG crew on this thread however I too am trying to collect my digital files. I have spectral illusions digital backdrops. Which have a carnival on fire scene, two stormy night (vertical and horizontal) and ghosts in the grave yard. I'll be happy to trade with you if you would like these files.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"If any of you are still around. Would you consider trading effects files? I try to collect what I can. "

FYI, this is considered theft. Why not support the folks that are creating this content, so they can continue to put great content out. Hopefully this Forum does not promote theft.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
This is absolutely theft and should be discouraged.
consider it discouraged, and for those discussing it, consider this a warning. other mods may feel differently, but i'm not going to delete any posts or penalize anyone for the above, because while there is a rule here that posts must not be illegal, the copyright area is a little grayer than most.

however, while i don't think it's HF's place to tell anyone what they can and can't do elsewhere, i do think it's completely fair to say we won't allow people to use the forum to arrange deals that aren't legal. seems like a no brainer. do as you wish, but don't make HF a party to it.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
And on that note. I guess I'll remove my requested offer. Hate to step on toes.
no worries. as i said, copyright issues are more of a gray area than most other things. (nobody would think about making a drug deal in a thread, for instance, but sometimes file sharing doesn't occur to someone as a problem, even though both are illegal.) no need to sanction anybody. just for future reference. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually, there is NOTHING gray about copyright issues when it comes to digital effects created by companies that charge for them. Turning a blind eye to it, is the same as encouraging it.

A one minute search of the companies website will provide all the information needed. For example...

"Duplication of AtmosFX Products: AtmosFX digital decorations products are both copyrighted and copy protected. AtmosFX does not condone the copying or duplication of our products for either personal or for-sale use. "

Glad to see folks stepping up and rescinding their offers.

KDO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually FYI me sending a body my disk of effects in exchange for their disk of effects is no more theft than me sending a dvd to a friend and them sending one to me in trade.At no time was a copy of the files mentioned.
But it is not worth the effort to explain that. I am not a big fan of drama. It is so much easier to quell the drama now by just revoking the offer/request.

Have a most Happy Hallowed Eve.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
Actually FYI me sending a body my disk of effects in exchange for their disk of effects is no more theft than me sending a dvd to a friend and them sending one to me in trade.At no time was a copy of the files mentioned.
But it is not worth the effort to explain that. I am not a big fan of drama. It is so much easier to quell the drama now by just revoking the offer/request.

Have a most Happy Hallowed Eve.
this, exactly. when we're flirting with something illegal (especially something that, under some circumstances, could expose HF to liability) i think it's best to be cautious and politely request that it stop. but to act like there's no ambiguity about these things, and to rake you over the coals for it, i think is absurd.

since the pre-controversy part of this thread hasn't been active for years, i don't see any reason to leave this open.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.