Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if everyone else knew this, but I am just having an aha moment...I just noticed that the atmosfear fx dvds are only 720 x 480? Found that on my player settings ...thought is was a mistake. I see they offer HD clips via download on their website?
Soo I am buying the dvds for $35 - $39 and using only 1 clip when I could have downloaded a better quality clip for 9.99.

I guess that I now need to use the dvd to pick out the file that I want and pay more to then get the better quality that I thought I was already getting...
Ok I apologize if I am finally realizing something that may be common knowledge to all..bUT I am slightly miffed that they don't
even offer a discount to those of us that already own the dvd...
Rant done..enjoy your afternoon...

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think that their site states that about their DVDs vs digital download. I'm not sure if reseller of the DVDs point it out though. Sorry you just found this out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think that their site states that about their DVDs vs digital download. I'm not sure if reseller of the DVDs point it out though. Sorry you just found this out.
Yeah, I did the digital download thing too for the scenes I wanted. I like having an HD source file and having it already digitized makes adding it into a playlist easy. Wonder if the "scare mode" stuff that is DVD only will be worth it? I'm wondering if it's just blank screen and you hit play to trigger the startle effect or if it plays clips and you activate the startle part by hitting play? I got the new DVDs to play with as my display isn't 100% set and need to play with the new stuff to decide on a final arrangement.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
All of my projectors are low res (mostly I own a bunch of XD500U units). And so the resolution of the DVDs are fine for my purposes. Especially projected in Second Story windows of my house. Could imagine wanting hi-res for close range viewing in a home haunt walk-through, etc.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Sorry if everyone else knew this, but I am just having an aha moment...I just noticed that the atmosfear fx dvds are only 720 x 480? Found that on my player settings ...thought is was a mistake. I see they offer HD clips via download on their website?
Soo I am buying the dvds for $35 - $39 and using only 1 clip when I could have downloaded a better quality clip for 9.99.

I guess that I now need to use the dvd to pick out the file that I want and pay more to then get the better quality that I thought I was already getting...
Ok I apologize if I am finally realizing something that may be common knowledge to all..bUT I am slightly miffed that they don't
even offer a discount to those of us that already own the dvd...
Rant done..enjoy your afternoon...
that stinks,, i was just about to buy a dvd

·
black light queen
2,606 Posts
some dvd players up-convert to high res ... i have an older oppo model that does & does an amazing job ... but all of my projectors, that i use for halloween are dvd quality ... for something like ghostly apparitions i'm not certain that a high res version would look any better if you're projecting onto a scrim ... a rear projection onto a shower curtain would definitely look better but it depends ... you probably want a ghost to look, well, "fuzzy", not well defined, kind of ethereal ...

any dvd players that i use outside for halloween are really cheap anyways as i don't want to risk a good dvd player ... of course there are numerous solid state media players that can be used for hi-rez projections, but i haven't used any yet

there are probably programs that will do a good job of up-converting the dvd video into a higher resolution video, but i haven't looked into video ... for still images there is a program that i use, that is free now, i paid for it before it became free, but it does such a good job that i don't mind sending the $ ... anyways it is called sar image processor & the web site is => http://www.general-cathexis.com & the download link is => http://www.general-cathexis.com/SARimageProcessorFreeware5.2.zip

i used sar to enlarge a postage sized image to a large shower curtain size ... i'm still amazed how good it looks :)

amk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!
Zero, in all fairness, the resolution is more than fine when projecting
on to a window from just a few feet away. This is a great product and I would never talk someone out of it!
My issue is that I learned from Icepick all about house mapping and have jumped in with both feet :D
When you take a short throw projector 13 ft away and project an image around 25ft , the image is stretched so I want to have the most pixels possible.
I give out the candy in the drive way and I just want the best image that I can get..
I had a chance to get to the pool and reconsider...i will end up getting the phantasms downloads anyway. I see on the video that they have a ghost that flies across an area. I would love to blend that with my projected image to have ghosts flying from room to room in front of the house, and the only way to do that would be with a digital file.. I am still not happy with the $10 per image over the $$ I just plopped down for the dvd, but it is a necessary expense to be "that house"..I am sure you would all agree

·
black light queen
2,606 Posts
spiney99,

yes, we should all strive to be that halloween house

i know that is my goal ... in fact ... i have a couple of banners that i had made that say "THAT HALLOWEEN HOUSE" in a spooky font :) ... i can't remember, but i think one is 4' tall by 12' (maybe more) wide ... i've been trying for years to come up with a name for my yard haunt and i just might use "that halloween house"

i'm also going to get the phantasms dvd ... for my application dvd resolution should be good enough ... :)

amk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts