Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used the chiffon from Joanne Fabric 2 yrs ago in a double upstairs window and it worked fine. The treat-or-treaters loved it.

I also have a bunch of Atmos digital videos and they all seem to, from what I recall, have a black/blank lead in. So even if you loop, you will have blank screen for a moment. Going to look at it when I start putting them together this year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
JT, did you think the chiffon had a higher quality image than the shower curtain? Also, was the chiffon white or? Is there a different "density" available and what did you use?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I never used a shower curtain. I wanted to have the see through effect because I wanted to setup outside or in a hallway. I bought the Atmos Hollusion material this year and plan to setup outside with it. At first look, I like the Atmos material a lot more. It stretches and has gromets. But the real test will be when I project on it

·
Registered
77 Posts
There's a slightly different effect between using white shower curtains or plastic table cloths (or AtmosFx's Window Projection Material) and chiffon (I have a grey/silver colour - similar to the Hollusion material - as recommended in a thread last year).

The Chiffon / Hollusion material can be seen thru providing the illusion the subject (ghost, phantasm etc) is just floating there and viewers can see thru/past them into the hallway or rest of the yard. Best at ground level.

With the shower curtain / plastic table cloths the viewer can't see into the room as easily (depending on the transparency of the material), this works best if you want to create the illusion the room is dark and something is wandering around in it. Good for ground or upper level, particularly on windows.

The person doing their upper floor balcony (is that you @roadrunninmark ?) would probably be best using a grey/silver chiffon as that way the viewers will still be able to see the rest of the balcony and house making it look more "real".

IMHO

UPDATE: It wasn't actually chiffon I used it was - VOILE fabric 300cmW Silver

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That is the info I am looking for, Ozaz. No, it isn't me doing the balcony setup. I am going to do a 3 window panel. So it looks like I should use the shower curtain then for the windows. If I ever try the free floating idea, I'll give the chiffon a try.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks Blue, I am looking at that unit now...

What are you using to secure your shower curtain to the window? I am looking for something I can move away during the day so I can look out the window, then at night, put the curtain back up; without using tape. A pushpin just tears through.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So I used pushpins. On my wall they hold well. For my Christmas projection they lasted all season. However, I never move the curtain. It stays up for the few days of Halloween and the 2 weeks of Christmas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also “enclose” my windows with black bed sheets strung over pvc pipe that are connected to walls next to the windows. And another that goes on top so that the whole window is enclosed and no outside light enters into the space. Need to do this because we usually have a party inside the house and the lights and shadows on the curtains will mess up the look from the outside.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have both window and hollusion material from Atmos also a front and rear projector screen ..the projector screen will be used in the window this year as it is bigger and will fill the space better and quite easily I will be projecting a nuclear scene from T3 with the terrors from beyond in the bedroom its a sort of fallout theme.. the Atmos FX material (they now do a larger version) I have made a frame that is the exact size of my front door that sticks in with velcro once opened and I have cut the atmosfx material to size so I can project the new clowns etc on in vertical mode I did a quick test run and it looks great can't wait .. I simply will save the frame for the future

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for the info.. I saw this idea on Youtube,, use 1/2" PVC tubing with the connectors to make a frame and these plastic clips to quickly clip and hold the material. I found the clips for sale at amazon....
clips.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
This seems like the best place right now to ask, so I was wondering what you guys think a good projector for a 2.5' wide by 5' tall window would be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have 2 projectors now. My first one is an older unit, Epson EMP-1705. It has 2200 lumens. It works fine for my window, 4'W X 5'T. I run AtmosFEAR video onto a Walmart shower curtain, using a dvd player and external speaker setup.

The one I just got is a short throw Epson Powerlite 425. I haven't used it yet, that is what this thread is all about. I want to project on a 3 window bay, with a newer AtmosFEAR digital download. I haven't bought the player for this yet and you can read through the recommendations in this thread.

The more lumens the better, but the price goes up with the lumen count. 2000 is probably the least you want to get. I run the first one in eco mode a lot, which is less lumen output but I get longer bulb life. There are tons of projectors for sale on ebay, craigslist, facebook marketplace.

Just do a little research on the unit you are interested in, replacement bulbs can be expensive and you want to make sure the projector can accept the input signal from the player you have, or you will wind up needing some conversion cords/plugs. You will probably will need an external speaker setup as well.

I would stick with the name brands, check their bulb usage and life expectancy, and of course the condition. Some have remotes, which you may or may not need. If you see one you like, input the make/model in a search to find a review and go from there. Usually, you can find a lot of info on that model this way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here is a quick test using the door frame I built with Atmos FX window material that I cut up ... It will be located in another doorway the week of Halloween I have just added some velcro for easy mount in place and keep it there in case of wind

I also pick up a 1080p projecter tomorrow

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you're using a video clip with a black background, using a projector with a high contrast ratio will give you better results. You won't see the square outline of the projected image as much. This can make all the difference in a low light level situation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah the more contrast comes with a bigger price tag I picked my new projector up yesterday it has more contrast than the one used in the clip which was a Epson x31 the new one is a optoma a little less lumens but but the contrast ratio I much better

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
17 Participants
fowldarr
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing