Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looking to add another AtmosFEAR to my decorations this year. The new ones are all digital download so I am asking what is the best "player" to use. I would most likely download the files onto a SD card or possibly USB stick. I would like to know what equipment members here are using and do they automatically "play in a loop" to keep the hauntings going? I will be ordering the "Terrors From Beyond" and will be using a projector to beam onto a 3 panel window.

I am looking at this player:
HDMI Media Player, AGPtek Black Mini 1080p Full-HD Ultra HDMI Digital Media Player for -MKV/RM- HDD USB Drives and SD Cards

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00TOAAHG4/?coliid=I4II82OPBSCI8&colid=1WFEQ3CZNTJQ4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Unless you know someone that has that player, don't count on it for seamless looping. Almost all of that type of player in that price range will not do seamless looping, there will be a black or green screen when the file loops, killing the effect. I have available HD HDMI 1080p Solid State Looping Media players with 100% seamless looping. If you're interested you can PM me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this same problem. So I took the scenes I wanted, added them In sequence to iMovie then copied the sequence over and over again until it was 3 hours long. Exported the file to a USB drive, then set it up on repeat. Waste of space? Sure, but at least I get continuous play back for 3 hours without buying a fancy media player :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
And not to knock J-Man’s media player at all. One of these days I plan to get one when I stop buying other crap I need for Halloween... lol. Just a simple work around that may or may not work for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info fallex, yes I too just want a nice presentation without breaking the bank. I am going to have two AtmosFEAR videos running this year. The second projector I got is a short throw, the image is going to span 3 windows. I may have to purchase some of the higher quality window material to make it work the 3 windows. The one window presentation with the older equipment, I've been using a cheap shower curtain, which works OK. I don't know if I can get it to work doing the 3 windows or not yet. At 3 bucks a curtain, at least it won't set the budget back if it doesn't work right.

I've asked J-man to send me the details of his player. I don't have iMovie software though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info Ozaz, is there one you recommend in particular? I have a windows computer, not familiar with any Apple products.

What size SD card / USB stick do you think is necessary to run a 3 hour loop, 8GB?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've asked J-man to send me the details of his player. I don't have iMovie software though.
There are numerous free video editing programs available online. If all you're doing is repeating a video over and over, it's a simple cut, past, align, sort of edit and is relatively easy to do.

We have an inexpensive unit that plays USB and micochip options and while the looping does indeed have a black space while the video resets and loops, ATMOSFx seems to be aware that's going to happen and in the case of the video we show, the skeletons dance off the screen leaving it blank until they return again at the start of the loop. You may see that as a downside, but none of the kids who visited our house have yet to file a complaint that there was 10 seconds of down time where there was nothing else they could look at. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've used Shotcut and OpenShot both are OK
As others have said the brief pause or blank screen isn't that noticeable, so it may not be worth the effort to make one long file.

One thing I have noticed is that you should use a reasonable speed SD card, at least a Class 10 U1, preferably a U3. As to size, well I guess that depends on how big the file will be if you do make a 3 hour video.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
There are numerous free video editing programs available online. If all you're doing is repeating a video over and over, it's a simple cut, past, align, sort of edit and is relatively easy to do.

We have an inexpensive unit that plays USB and micochip options and while the looping does indeed have a black space while the video resets and loops, ATMOSFx seems to be aware that's going to happen and in the case of the video we show, the skeletons dance off the screen leaving it blank until they return again at the start of the loop. You may see that as a downside, but none of the kids who visited our house have yet to file a complaint that there was 10 seconds of down time where there was nothing else they could look at. :)
Certainly some videos will work OK with a black screen between loops but some definitely lose the whole effect such as Living Portraits. 🎃

·
Registered
793 Posts
Certainly some videos will work OK with a black screen between loops but some definitely lose the whole effect such as Living Portraits. 🎃
That's true. I just thought with the images being broadcasted on a front porch, they would more than likely be something either ghostly or skeletal. Both those lend themselves to being interrupted without much fuss.

Now if he went with the witch, that's a whole different ballgame and it's time to break out the video editor if going with a less expensive projector.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Since all of my video files are in *.mp4 I used MS Movie Maker and just kept adding them in the sequence I wanted and then saved them as a whole file in a mp4 format. That way I just press play and let don't worry about it anymore. I haven't used a dvd player in years and since all my files are played via a media player , Sony, WDTV, or other, I have to use a pc to save it.

An alternate way is to save all the files you want in a renamed numerical order. If your video player automatically plays one file after another this is an alternate type of looping

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,506 Posts
This is more on the expensive side, but I bought a Sprite Media Player. It loops perfectly. This particular player was recommended to me by AtmosFX. AtmosFX actually sells it cheaper than many other websites.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is more on the expensive side, but I bought a Sprite Media Player. It loops perfectly. This particular player was recommended to me by AtmosFX. AtmosFX actually sells it cheaper than many other websites.
Yeah I wanted one too as the unit is triggerable by sensor but the shipping to the UK is expensive I will wait to a UK stockist gets them in

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AtmosFEAR recommended that player (Sprite) as well. I don't have a need for the motion sensor at this time. I was hoping to find a good player <$40, as the cost of the projector, player, video, cables, and screen material and set up is creeping up to around $200 (figuring a $40 player). I then still need a speaker. I bought a good projector, short throw, so I can use on a 3 window setup.

I heard of someone using chiffon fabric from Joanne's Fabrics instead of the shower curtain? I asked about which chiffon but haven't heard back. The reason would be for ease of hanging with push pins. Has anyone else used chiffon and how does the image quality compare to the shower curtain?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
17 Participants
fowldarr
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing