Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new guy here...

I have a small dilemma...this is my first time trying to set this up. But all the Youtube videos and demo's I see from the ATMOS FX web site dont address or answer my concerns.

1) I have the Unliving Portriats DVD
2) I have 3 24" widescreen computer monitors (not Tvs)
3) I have 2 projectors
4) material to display the projections on

So all the demos I see they all use TV's and are not using monitors (that I can tell) So are people basically buying the indivual characters/scenes from the web site and having it run indivually from each computer or how will this work based on what I have?

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe I was the first to use the video in this manner about five years ago. AtmosFx even commented on the attached YouTube video that it was such a cool idea. Basically I wanted it to look like the memorial photo that you would see next to a coffin at a funeral. It is a cheap $15 frame with the shower curtain stretched tight and stapled to the rear. I put it on a stand and projected from behind. Very very effective prop that is a hit year after year.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hello everyone, new guy here...
So all the demos I see they all use TV's and are not using monitors (that I can tell) So are people basically buying the indivual characters/scenes from the web site and having it run indivually from each computer or how will this work based on what I have?

Thanks
You're going to need a media player for each monitor. Make sure the media player you get has an output to support your monitor input. The players are easy to find on Ebay in the $25-30 price range. You can either set them to loop or get a triggered media player like those offered by Hi-Rez Designs

·
Registered
170 Posts
For several years I have used a funeral scene similar to what RBOARDED has, although I use a monitor. I made a frame from molding and painted it aged gold. I bent 2 angle brackets and screwed them into the top of the frame so that it hooks at the top of my vertically mounted monitor. I use press stick to keep it stuck in place. It screws into a tripod I made from 1x2 and stained. I initially used dead flowers in a wreath, but finally went to Michael's and got a cool black wreath that hangs under it. To display the videos, I copied the DVD files to a Micca Spec G2 media player because it can loop continually and not have any black screen between videos. I can also set it up for scare mode where pressing play on the remote triggers the scare scene and then it goes back to a scene where the woman moves her eyes once in a while or a static scene of her holding the flowers. By lighting it carefully from the front, it looks just like a real picture. I didn't want it to look like something that gave off light and was an obvious monitor. With front lighting, it looks like a real portrait. You want it in a lit room or at night outside on Halloween itself, I will bring it outside in a lit scene.

There is no difference between a TV and a monitor except that a TV has a tuner inside it. You can use your monitors the same way you would use a TV. Perhaps you are talking about having it connected to a computer. You can do that, but much easier to connect it to a DVD player or media player.

I also use a monitor that swivels. It is very cool, I don't see them anymore. They are used for people who do graphics or word processing and want to see a document on a screen in the same orientation. I built another frame for that monitor and tilt it and swivel it vertically. It sits on the desk exactly like a picture frame does and you don't notice the stand behind it. I did have to flip the videos in a software program though because the monitor only spins in one direction, and as luck would have it, it was the wrong direction. All of my videos would be upside down without the flip conversion.

What is it you want to do? What is the problem with your monitors? Don't they have the right inputs? I have over the last few years used composite, vga and now hdmi for input to the monitors. Where necessary, I have had special cables or converters, for example to convert HDMI to a monitor I have that only has composite and VGA connectors.

I buy the DVS's because it is a pain to have to re-create the menus and author my own DVDs, though I did that for my singing pumpkins. But I also purchase the individual scenes for specific things in order to have full 1080p versions. The portraits are just fine at DVD resolution for me, but my outdoor projection of ghosts, skeletons and wraiths requires more. So I copied them onto a USB stick and run them on an HD projector.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I bought the entire set of Unliving Portraits as a digital download. In the set are quite a number of video files for different set ups, including portrait and landscape, and framed and unframed modes. They also have videos of all three people that can be played on a TV/monitor or projected on a wall, to give it that separate portrait look.

If you're going to be running 3 separate TVs or monitors (same thing), I think the trick is to start them at the same time, so they're in synch. There's enough "fudge" factor in the scenes that a few milliseconds shouldn't throw off the interaction effects.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For several years I have used a funeral scene similar to what RBOARDED has, although I use a monitor. I made a frame from molding and painted it aged gold. I bent 2 angle brackets and screwed them into the top of the frame so that it hooks at the top of my vertically mounted monitor. I use press stick to keep it stuck in place. It screws into a tripod I made from 1x2 and stained. I initially used dead flowers in a wreath, but finally went to Michael's and got a cool black wreath that hangs under it. To display the videos, I copied the DVD files to a Micca Spec G2 media player because it can loop continually and not have any black screen between videos. I can also set it up for scare mode where pressing play on the remote triggers the scare scene and then it goes back to a scene where the woman moves her eyes once in a while or a static scene of her holding the flowers. By lighting it carefully from the front, it looks just like a real picture. I didn't want it to look like something that gave off light and was an obvious monitor. With front lighting, it looks like a real portrait. You want it in a lit room or at night outside on Halloween itself, I will bring it outside in a lit scene.

There is no difference between a TV and a monitor except that a TV has a tuner inside it. You can use your monitors the same way you would use a TV. Perhaps you are talking about having it connected to a computer. You can do that, but much easier to connect it to a DVD player or media player.

I also use a monitor that swivels. It is very cool, I don't see them anymore. They are used for people who do graphics or word processing and want to see a document on a screen in the same orientation. I built another frame for that monitor and tilt it and swivel it vertically. It sits on the desk exactly like a picture frame does and you don't notice the stand behind it. I did have to flip the videos in a software program though because the monitor only spins in one direction, and as luck would have it, it was the wrong direction. All of my videos would be upside down without the flip conversion.

What is it you want to do? What is the problem with your monitors? Don't they have the right inputs? I have over the last few years used composite, vga and now hdmi for input to the monitors. Where necessary, I have had special cables or converters, for example to convert HDMI to a monitor I have that only has composite and VGA connectors.

I buy the DVS's because it is a pain to have to re-create the menus and author my own DVDs, though I did that for my singing pumpkins. But I also purchase the individual scenes for specific things in order to have full 1080p versions. The portraits are just fine at DVD resolution for me, but my outdoor projection of ghosts, skeletons and wraiths requires more. So I copied them onto a USB stick and run them on an HD projector.

Thank you for the suggestions and your experince with this projection. So I have 3 24" widescreen computer monitors that only have VGA and DVI connections. I have the ability to connect 3 computers to these monitors as I need the 2 projectors I have for other props, I just feel using a TV or Monitor for these particular projections is ideal, since they are already in a frame type setting. So since this post I have purchased the Digital downloads of all 3 portraits and was bascailly going to hook a laptop to each monitor and let it play. So now I have additional concerns with this type of setup.

1) So since all the portriats are totally independent, Im assuming they will not be able to interact but instead just do there own scripts
2) Can I use a loop feature thay will make sure they are alll doing something...(thinking using VLC)
3) How do I use audio...would each laptop have to have its own set up speakers as well now?
4) Im also assuiming the "Scare" button will not be available now because its a digital file on my computer, unless would a presentation remote work?

Thank you all

·
Registered
530 Posts
How do you accomplish this? I have a Micca, but haven't played around with it much more than getting it to play the movie file I'm going to loop (a series of the Unliving Portraits).

I can also set it up for scare mode where pressing play on the remote triggers the scare scene and then it goes back to a scene where the woman moves her eyes once in a while or a static scene of her holding the flowers.

·
Registered
671 Posts
How do you accomplish this? I have a Micca, but haven't played around with it much more than getting it to play the movie file I'm going to loop (a series of the Unliving Portraits).
Didnt think this could be done with the micca speck, it takes a triggerable media player like the sprite or the hi-rez designs triggerable player. basically loops a specific file until a trigger is set (step mat or motion sensor) and then a different file is chosen

·
Registered
170 Posts
No, you use a trick with anything that can play a dvd with vob files. The menu is the start scene. It is just full screen instead of multilpe choices. That menu is linked to the scare. When you press play, it runs the scare video and then goes back to the "menu"just like when a movie is over. You can also aythor your own dvd to do it however you want if you want different scenes

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions and your experince with this projection. So I have 3 24" widescreen computer monitors that only have VGA and DVI connections. I have the ability to connect 3 computers to these monitors as I need the 2 projectors I have for other props, I just feel using a TV or Monitor for these particular projections is ideal, since they are already in a frame type setting. So since this post I have purchased the Digital downloads of all 3 portraits and was bascailly going to hook a laptop to each monitor and let it play. So now I have additional concerns with this type of setup.

1) So since all the portriats are totally independent, Im assuming they will not be able to interact but instead just do there own scripts
2) Can I use a loop feature thay will make sure they are alll doing something...(thinking using VLC)
3) How do I use audio...would each laptop have to have its own set up speakers as well now?
4) Im also assuiming the "Scare" button will not be available now because its a digital file on my computer, unless would a presentation remote work?

Thank you all
1. No, they won't interact

2. Yes, you have seeral methods. A dvd can have loop encoded in it if you author it. If you use a dvd player or a spec, just use the remote to repeat after it runs through all the files.

·
Registered
170 Posts
1. No, they won't interact

2. Yes, you have seeral methods. A dvd can have loop encoded in it if you author it. If you use a dvd player or a spec, just use the remote to repeat after it runs through all the files.

3. Yes.

4. See the other reply. Some media software on a laptop will do the same thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts