Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on using a projection this year and want to keep it inside and either project in a single window or dual windows that are side by side.

My question is what material do i use to accomplish the rear projection look at still have the quality.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep... shower curtain is the way to go... Go to YouTube and search "DIY Rear Projection Screen Approx $20" and you will find a great starter video by 3DpastorDOTblogspot that explains in detail how to accomplish this. I followed this guide and it worked PERFECTLY.

·
Registered
354 Posts
As long as your viewers aren't at an angle where they would be looking directly down the lens if the curtain were gone, I don't think that you'll have too much of an issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We're thinking of projecting between two manicured trees - about a 4 foot space. The website suggests various mesh-like materials. You guys are using shower curtains for the same concept? I would think it shows up as white when there is no image projected.

·
Registered
207 Posts
We're thinking of projecting between two manicured trees - about a 4 foot space. The website suggests various mesh-like materials. You guys are using shower curtains for the same concept? I would think it shows up as white when there is no image projected.
I've always used thin cheap, flat white bed sheets in my windows with excellent results, but this year I'm going to try the holographic effect using wedding tulle from a fabric store. I want to do the skeletons coming out of the ground.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've always used thin cheap, flat white bed sheets in my windows with excellent results, but this year I'm going to try the holographic effect using wedding tulle from a fabric store. I want to do the skeletons coming out of the ground.
Yeah that sounds more like the material we used on our crank ghost.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The problem with hanging a sheet or shower curtain between trees is that the "screen" will be very obvious and depending on the effect you're going for could ruin it. If you're going for a pepper's ghost type effect that would simulate a ghost floating mid-air, then you'd really want other material like the mesh, tulle or Chiffon. These materials in the dark will disappear more easily, because they're semi-transparent. Here is a link to another discussion here on HF suggesting Chiffon from Joanne's Fabrics. I've personally had some good results with this material. I bought the "Platinum" version and like it quite a bit.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/133130-most-invisible-scrim-6.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is awesome. Curious how you got your projector to not light up the whole room? We found in testing last night that our 2800 lumen projector lights up the flipping world.
Hmmm, I believe my projector is around 2500 lumens. It is a short throw so I'm not sure if that would make a difference on how bright it lights up your room. It sits on the floor about 5 feet in front of the screen. Did you try messing around with the brightness settings on the
projector?

·
Registered
697 Posts
The mesh WILL hotspot, the only way the hologram 'illusion' works is to hide the projector at a angle, and prevent observers from walking to a point where they see the hotspot. I have beat this to death, a white shower curtain seems to be the best way to do reverse projections

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmmm, I believe my projector is around 2500 lumens. It is a short throw so I'm not sure if that would make a difference on how bright it lights up your room. It sits on the floor about 5 feet in front of the screen. Did you try messing around with the brightness settings on the
projector?
Will do more testing tonight. Was adjusting quite a bit last night and will continue to do so. We were projecting a good 10-15 feet so that might be part of the issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The mesh WILL hotspot, the only way the hologram 'illusion' works is to hide the projector at a angle, and prevent observers from walking to a point where they see the hotspot. I have beat this to death, a white shower curtain seems to be the best way to do reverse projections
Yes, we're aware of angles, etc. White sheet/curtain is not an option as it will be used outside. We're looking into ways to simply reduce the projection as we've done with our sensors for our grave jumper. Same concept... beam is too wide, then some simple mods will make it narrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts