Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone wondering about where the Halloween is I spoke with a few of the workers at my nearest at home and they said “due to the pandemic we won’t be getting Halloween in for quite a while”. They did say they would be getting stuff in sometime but I think it’s going to be in August not May or June like usual.

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
That's interesting and I guess not unexpected. Just yesterday I was reviewing my Amazon orders from the past looking at the photo backgrounds I had bought that came from China. I clicked on few current backgrounds from the same seller and if I were to reorder the same one now it wouldn't get here until August. Originally I ordered in November for a December delivery. Not sure if it's due to company's production being slowed down due to covid and fewer workers back at the plants, likely, or may also be influenced by the tariff wars and less exchange of product from China. We do know from last year that while Chinese produced Christmas decorations were singled out as being important to ship and reach American holiday consumers, halloween items were not. Shame because I believe halloween has typically been the second most important holiday for retailers here. Let's face it holiday decorations give joy to people, those decorating and those viewing, and simple pleasures are something we all could use more of right now...which is why I will at least decorate inside windows and maybe do a little outdoors decorating as well if just to be viewed passing by and nothing else.

I guess with covid here to stay for now we need to exercise a lot of patience about a lot of things, more so than we probably have ever had to before. I do feel the itch to plan for halloween displays myself but realistically don't think kids will be ToTing in neighborhoods this year, so very torn about how much to put into what I might otherwise be starting up doing now. Still I'm here on HF and working a bit on plans. I always loved to see At Home's early halloween releases that got posted here so looking forward to that time again. Nothing to do but hang in there.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That's interesting and I guess not unexpected. Just yesterday I was reviewing my Amazon orders from the past looking at the photo backgrounds I had bought that came from China. I clicked on few current backgrounds from the same seller and if I were to reorder the same one now it wouldn't get here until August. Originally I ordered in November for a December delivery. Not sure if it's due to company's production being slowed down due to covid and fewer workers back at the plants, likely, or may also be influenced by the tariff wars and less exchange of product from China. We do know from last year that while Chinese produced Christmas decorations were singled out as being important to ship and reach American holiday consumers, halloween items were not. Shame because I believe halloween has typically been the second most important holiday for retailers here. Let's face it holiday decorations give joy to people, those decorating and those viewing, and simple pleasures are something we all could use more of right now...which is why I will at least decorate inside windows and maybe do a little outdoors decorating as well if just to be viewed passing by and nothing else.

I guess with covid here to stay for now we need to exercise a lot of patience about a lot of things, more so than we probably have ever had to before. I do feel the itch to plan for halloween displays myself but realistically don't think kids will be ToTing in neighborhoods this year, so very torn about how much to put into what I might otherwise be starting up doing now. Still I'm here on HF and working a bit on plans. I always loved to see At Home's early halloween releases that got posted here so looking forward to that time again. Nothing to do but hang in there.
You sound really blue. If you want I can send you a few Jack B'Little seeds. They are so much fun to grow. They make perfect decorations 🎃
I grew them on an arch by the driveway. People loved it & it was so peaceful

Attachments

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Love your archway Kdestra! So colorful and such cute little things. Reminds me a bit of the little foam pumpkins that Dollar Tree has carried but better! Not a grower here but thanks. Very nice of you to offer.

Probably more bored than blue. I accept what it is although dying for both of us to get our hair cut already! Otherwise could look like a witch and warlock come Halloween if this keeps up. Hubby is on his laptop doing work related stuff right now and I've been reading a few books on dinosaurs that I recently bought off ebay and amazon. Never know where another inspiration for my park/lab/museum will come from! So just a quiet Sunday. Love to follow what others are scheming up during this time and what if anything people are finding. With stores just reopening I don't expect much. Had hoped At Home, which I think opened a store last year in southern California, would find it's way up here to the SF Bay area since you can see what they have online but can't order it. At least couldn't last I checked. I always find something that I'd like there. They have great buyers.

I just checked their website for California locations and they are getting closer. The one in Clovis is about 100 miles away...keep hoping to shop At Home one day. 🙂

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently it will depend on each store. There is someone who posted on a facebook group pics of a store putting some stuff out! Check your local store!
I did today nothing :( I also walked in the back a little bit lol didn’t see anything Halloween wise.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For some reason, it won't let me link to the post.

Look up the group "Fall Blessed and Halloween Obsessed"

The person posted some pics earlier today at a store somewhere. Posted by user: Crystal Goode
The person is out of Kentucky, if thats any help! :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,833 Posts
Our county in MD isn't open at the "going shopping at At Home" level yet. We're a hotbed here & only in Stage 1, moving to Stage 2 next Friday (I think).

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm going to preface by saying that I've never worked a retail job at all so perhaps my assumption is a bit ignorant, but don't these large stores usually have seasonal backstock they could put out anytime they want (basically)? Versus having anything shipped, I'm not sure (if this is true) what about COVID would delay clearing out their storage and simply shelving items left over from last year to this end in accordance with their usual schedule. It might not be the latest and greatest or a large quantity, but it's something.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm going to preface by saying that I've never worked a retail job at all so perhaps my assumption is a bit ignorant, but don't these large stores usually have seasonal backstock they could put out anytime they want (basically)? Versus having anything shipped, I'm not sure (if this is true) what about COVID would delay clearing out their storage and simply shelving items left over from last year to this end in accordance with their usual schedule. It might not be the latest and greatest or a large quantity, but it's something.
I don't think large chains do, for the most part. Small party store chains do, but the Targets and the Lowe's, and the Home Depots, and the At Home's and the TJ Maxx's all try to get rid of everything every Holiday season. That is why you see such incredible after season (or even before end of season) discounts. Spirit and, to a slightly lesser extent, Party City/Halloween City are a little different. Since their entire stores are Halloween, it is not reasonable for them to get rid of everything in a post Halloween purge, plus, if they did, it would hurt their overall % of list price (or whatever the metric is called) as more people would put off pre-Halloween buys waiting for the discount. So Halloween specific stores carry over merchandise. But the goal of the other stores is not to carry over anything. And most of them do not at all.

·
Registered
488 Posts
For some reason, it won't let me link to the post.

Look up the group "Fall Blessed and Halloween Obsessed"

The person posted some pics earlier today at a store somewhere. Posted by user: Crystal Goode
The person is out of Kentucky, if thats any help! :)
I just joined that FB group. Looks like so much fun!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just found a video on YouTube from Spookyoulaterz. If you can't find by this name, type in At Home Halloween 2020. Looks like some good stuff so far.
Can’t wait for my store to get stuff I’ll do a walkthrough video or at least take some pictures. I do see a lot of stuff from previous years unless I’m mistaken.

·
Registered
400 Posts
There is definitely repeats from last year but also new stuff. I will check out my local store soon. I had seen spookyoulaterz's vid and it got me excited to see Halloween stuff on store shelves.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Cool video, thanks ! Makes me want to go see what my store has .I really liked the metal carriage hearse thing

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't think large chains do, for the most part. Small party store chains do, but the Targets and the Lowe's, and the Home Depots, and the At Home's and the TJ Maxx's all try to get rid of everything every Holiday season. That is why you see such incredible after season (or even before end of season) discounts. Spirit and, to a slightly lesser extent, Party City/Halloween City are a little different. Since their entire stores are Halloween, it is not reasonable for them to get rid of everything in a post Halloween purge, plus, if they did, it would hurt their overall % of list price (or whatever the metric is called) as more people would put off pre-Halloween buys waiting for the discount. So Halloween specific stores carry over merchandise. But the goal of the other stores is not to carry over anything. And most of them do not at all.

That used to be the way. but now most places follow the just in time stocking method. This would normally not be a problem so long their distribution centers kept a decent stock of items on hand to fill gaps as they came up.

Unfortunately, they started applying those JIT methods up the food chain and now, as we are seeing in a lot of cases now, there are large scale disruptions to the supply lines that keep the economy chugging along.

On my end at the local store level, we're screwed if we don't buy up all of a product because if we buy too little, and sell it too quickly, the supply end of things hoses us for months at a time. Its really a crystal ball game of knowing what we need and hoping the guess works out. I love selling someone a $900 truck, that I can't get a $10 part for the forseeable future because the manufacturer doesn't keep their parts in stock....

Ah well, lets go Halloween! save me from this miserable timeline! ;)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
As far as when the merchandise is on the floor, I honestly don’t care cause the reality is it’s going to be there! To me, that’s a positive in a year that’s been negative for a while. Off to YouTube! Thanks @marlah!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts