Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've kind of run to a point where I'm not sure what I need to do to add a wow factor for the front yard.

Last year I had video eyes in the roof dormers, a large inflatable hearse, and a couple characters.
This year most of my effort has gone into the backyard for a haunted cemetery and crematorium.
I'd like to add something to the front, for more street appeal but just can't think of what. Looking good in daylight too would be a plus.
So I'm asking the forum, there are a lot of talented people here, and I'm confident a couple great suggestions will come my way.

I've attached a picture of what it looks like tonight. It's okay (IMO), but lacks wow.
There are 5 skeletons, 1 climbing, 1 child in swing, 1 at each dormer, and 1 at the center ridge (will add light for this one tomorrow).
Atmosfearfx shades of evil DVD running as projection in window. Some jackolanterns in porch corner.
The porch and dormers are not as bright as shown, I have adjusted exposure so you could see details of yard and darker areas.

So what would you do ? Thanks for giving it some thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
How about some spiders? They would show up great against the light colored house. The eke lies could be getting away fron the spiders. Maybe even having a skellie with a chair and a whip aka training the spiders.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I had some spiders last year, I didn't mention them in the first post because they didn't work out quite as expected.
You are right they show up well. However I learned last year the webs and the victim in a web pretty much disappear against the light color.
But having the skels running from them is a good theme. Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
how about making the white spots a more dark color. Blue or Red,

you could try making some more pin pointed lighting be using 2 or 3 inch PVC pipe painted black with a light inside it pointed at the objects
on the roof.

A Pepper's ghost is always easy to do with windows.

black lights on the porch with objects that GLOW on the front of the house.
Ghosts, and such.

You could cut out neon paper inthe shape of eyes, use a sharpie to add detail and tape them to the walls to make it look like the ghouls and goblins are watching them.....

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks pretty cool. I have all of the available tombstones tied up this year in the back. I do like the use of blacklight on your porch.
Thank you.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the idea. I originally considered coloring the lights, and that may be the way to go.
My thought at the time was more along the line of a normal house is being taken over by skeletons.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how about making the white spots a more dark color. Blue or Red,

you could try making some more pin pointed lighting be using 2 or 3 inch PVC pipe painted black with a light inside it pointed at the objects
on the roof.

A Pepper's ghost is always easy to do with windows.

black lights on the porch with objects that GLOW on the front of the house.
Ghosts, and such.

You could cut out neon paper inthe shape of eyes, use a sharpie to add detail and tape them to the walls to make it look like the ghouls and goblins are watching them.....
Thank you again. As I mentioned we had moving video eyes last year. Using eyes this year is not out of the question but I think people would be looking for the video eyes. Here is a picture of the house from last year, if that helps. Coloring the light does attract attention, adding to the wow factor and curb appeal.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you for the idea. I originally considered coloring the lights, and that may be the way to go.
My thought at the time was more along the line of a normal house is being taken over by skeletons.
you could do that theme, but maybe using white pin spots to hi-lite the skeletons taking over.
Maybe buy a couple peices of Sod Patches and have a half skeleton coming out if the ground pushing up the grass?
again using pin spots on the event.

you could do the same on the porch if it's wood. have some planks painted the same color as the porch then use black paper to make a hole, put a skeleton
half body coming through the porch with planks of wood being pushed up.

I really like the black lights AnnaMaryKahn had on her post as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you again. As I mentioned we had moving video eyes last year. Using eyes this year is not out of the question but I think people would be looking for the video eyes. Here is a picture of the house from last year, if that helps. Coloring the light does attract attention, adding to the wow factor and curb appeal.
What I ment about the eyes is like this. They glow in the dark / under black light

You could spray paint your pet (Cat or Dog) with glow in the dark Hai Spray and make them a ghost LOL.. I did that one year to my Cat,
funny thing was that the Dog never barked at the cat that night.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The idea of using sod is a very good one, as long as I move it around so it doesn't kill the grass.
Airblown hearse used last year left a dead spot that didn't go away until July rains.

On painting the dog or cat, another mostly good idea. I'm afraid it would not work here for a couple reasons.
1. The wife would beat me if I painted her dog.
2. Dog would be but a streak heading off in the distance if let out in the front yard.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I too love realism...and I love the idea of the house being attacked by skellies :) That being said I think the colored lights are the way to go...it won't take away from the realism but simply enhance it. We are having a similar theme only our house is being attacked by zombies...we are doing zombies, boarded windows and maybe a victim or two...in my head I thought it was enough but as I have started decorating inside for our party it seems a little minimalist. My thinking was to use candle light as red, green, blue and black lights won't work....WRONG...not only do they add excitement and bring attention to your beautifully displayed props but they add feeling to the props...

For instance:

The little skelly on the swing (she's sweet and innocent)...use blue to give a sad feeling or wash her with warm tones of orange for happy
As for her sneaky family, wash them with reds and greens...I think lighting is the best prop we have in our arsenal and is often overlooked (especially in my past haunts)...so try them out if u don't like them u can always take them back (btw Lowes has them on sale $3.98)

You might even try the boarded windows...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts