Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post this message for my fellow UK haunters. Their collection for this year is now online at http://direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=halloween

To be honest, nothing great IMO and much like previous years, although previous years have been probably better for BIG props. The giant skull looks good value at £15 ($23) and seems very much like the ones I've seen across the pond (Walgreens/Target/Spirit Halloween?) for the $40 - $55. Other than that, nothing floats my boat I'm afraid, but at least Asda have a go!

Looks like I'm going to have to go shopping over there across the pond in a couple of weeks - my family will be so happy about that.................................................

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a shed full of lights that I have bought in previous years when over in the states. I have about 5,000 orange fairy lights, about the same number in purple and a few thousand in green, plus garland/cluster lights and various other types. In all I have about 50,000 fairy lights in various colours and lighted lengths that I have accumulated over the last 10 years or so - I usually go across this time of year, but have skipped some years. They are so cheap there - 100 fairy lights on a length of about 25ft or so costs around $2.50 to $3.99 a box, depending on where you get them (I usually buy mine at Walmart, Target and Lowes).

We have practically none over here so that's why I guess I go mad over there. Another reason the wife and kids hate us going this time of year - last year I broke all records by bringing a total of 9 large cases/holdalls back with goodies - I explained that it could have been worse as we were entitled to bring 12 cases back in total (3 each). Truth is that fitting 8 large cases and 4 people in a People carrier over there is no mean feat! 12 just wouldn't be possible, although I'm keen to give it a go anyway!

Halloween lightbulbs, awesome!

I'm easily pleased ;)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Way to go Phil-the-fear , i know i would do exactly the same if i were to have a trip to the states so near to Halloween , and thanks for the heads up with the Asda link i hope to go to my Asda home today to see if they got any stuff in shop yet .I just got a prop woman,s head from the states but customs caught it on way through and charged me £3.21 V.A.T. etc , i would accept that but ROYAL MAIL also stung me £8 set fee for handling fee etc on the parcel after that , when i picked up the parcel from the depot as they would not deliver it even though the postage from the U.S. was correct but made me go and pay the £8 before i was allowed to have it , i don't know if any of the U.K. haunters know this but the £8 charge is standard now no matter if you are just over the boundary price by a penny or ten pound you still get hit with the set £8 handling fee from royal mail if you parcel is opened and checked and you are over the taxable threshold .I guess that's the last time i ship from U.S. for a while , another good reason for loading up on a trip cheers again.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Pacman,

I thought the customs allowance for receiving things from abroad had gone up a year or two ago? Google it to see. It may be that if an item is undervalued from what is stated on the customs label, even if it is still below the allowance, then they charge duty on it as a punishment. I really don't know, but I think I'm right in saying that you have to take into account not just the purchase price but shipping charges too to arrive at the total cost for customs purposes.

As for going over, I've just had a quick look at flights to New York (probably the cheapest option for getting to the states but check other destinations on the eastern coast) and they're starting from about £420 return.

You could always cover some of the cost by buying some things to sell, but then you'll be taking up valuable luggage space for items you want.

I remember about 3 years ago when I saw a prop over there (can't remember where) for $45. It was an animated skeleton hiding behind a tomb stone and when you walked past it was triggered and the skelly lift the stone up above his head to say something, then slowly lowered it down again for the next time. I couldn't believe it when I got back and saw one on ebay (I never bought one as I didn't have enough room left in my luggage :mad:). It eventually sold for £284!!

We used to go over in September 2 in every 3 years from 2001. As a family that cost a LOT with accommodation and car, but I'm lucky now that my wife works for an airline and gets free flights to most parts of the world, although having said that we have to pay the taxes (grrrr!) which are about £100 to the states.

Still, it means we can all nip across as a family for a holiday and be able to shop too!

I think customs allowances for bringing stuff from abroad back to the UK are now something like £375 per person. Despite all that I've brought back before, we've never gone over our limits (only once did we come close) so if you can get there it's worth it - plus you'll see just what is available over there! If you do go, just remember to keep all receipts in case you do get stopped by customs. Unlikely, but you're better to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I had been told it had gone up but i wasn't aware of how much , i checked my item and with the transfer rate i was 57p over the threshold for taxation so i was unlucky as the seller stated the correct U.S. price as per required but when the exchange rate was worked out i just felt that i got really stung for 57p , another week with the exchange rate i could have just slipped under , i expected i might get a charge for customs etc which was actually £3.21 as this is a gamble you take but was not aware that royal mail would then sting me £8 making a total charge which i had to pay to them before i got the parcel of £11.21 . It was an expensive prop in the end but a lesson well learnt . Glad you can get over there as often i do hope to go over in the next few years , as my kids are getting older but wait and see how finances pan out .As for the prop you mentioned i have seen a automated reaper prop on eBay for around $100 price range and an identical prop just available in my local costume shop is up for £189 ..... nuff said . I now have this vision of you coming through customs with your family and as you travel through the airport all you can hear as you go past everyone is moans and groans and screams coming from all the props and Halloween accessories in your suitcases ...... lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
pacman
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing