Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of unbiased opinions. I am working on turning my house into a creepy castle, and I notice amongst other things in creepy castles, there are usually paintings everywhere of family and /or royalty. so I decided I should paint portraits of "horror royalty" and I need to know if they are any good or not. so if someone can actually recognize who this is, I might feel better about it! :D and any constructive criticism is welcome
Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 3.42.23 PM.jpg

·
Registered
262 Posts
Even though I can't tell you who it is, I still think it is a GREAT picture. I am betting that me not knowing who it is says a lot more about my lack of knowledge of horror royalty than any lack on your part. I say paint on!

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Cushing for the win!

Reactions: JennWakely
1,319 Posts
There was a young artist in Portland who did all the monsters and creatures as High School yearbook portraits. I managed to purchase about 6 or so of them. So I love your idea of doing the "Horror" royalty portraits. I Hope you share any others you do. This first one is great.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes it is the one and only late great Peter Cushing! Thank you!! Can't deny those cheekbones!
peter-cushing.jpg

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Peter Cushing.. looks almost painfully English. Looks like my family. Laugh or run away but we save tons of money not needing make up or masks!!!hahha!

Reactions: JennWakely

·
Registered
317 Posts
Great Job! Love the idea of Horror Royalty. Will there be a spot for Christopher Lee?

If I may be so bold as to offer one opinion (even though I could never even come close to something like this): Make the subjects look directly ahead. This will create the "Eyes that Follow You " experience that will push the creep factor even further!
Here is an example: http://www.instructables.com/id/Creepy-Eye-Following-Pictures/
To quote the page: Research has shown that any picture in which the subject is looking directly ahead will have eyes that appear to look at you no matter the angle from which it is viewed.
Great job

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started with Elvira. i thought she would be easier because she is almost cartoon like.

Elvira.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well its supposed to be Edgar Allan Poe, but i kind of think it looks like Mark Twain and Hitler had a mongoloid baby!
Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 10.34.17 AM.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes definitely going to do Christopher Lee. I just haven't found a pic that speaks to me yet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
More great pictures. Really like the Elvira picture. Poe is instantly recognizable as Poe but your comment gave me a chuckle because somehow I see exactly what you mean. I don't think there is any deficiency in your painting; I think Poe just actually resembles the other two. You as an artist were just talented enough to pick up on it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts