Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have horror/halloween inspired art they've done to share? I'd love to see it.

My oldest is studying portraiture this semester .. This is face 3 out of 9 .. Not all horror inspired, but this one is. Done with prism pens and water colors.

She has recently read " The Yellow Wallpaper" a Gothic inspired story about a woman's decent in to madness, who feels the wallpaper in her room has trapped beings in it .. Below is some cliff notes for the short story.

" Has the old mansion stood empty for many years because of legal entanglements, or is there another reason no one chooses to live there? Who previously occupied Jane’s bedroom? Was it a nursery, playroom, gym, and boys’ school, as she conjectures in an attempt to explain its unusual features, or were there other reasons to bar the windows, bolt the bed to the floor, and install “rings and things” in the walls? Are the rings perhaps the kind to which chains could have been affixed? Was it children who gnawed repeatedly on the bedstead? One wonders when reading Jane’s account of biting off a piece of it. Is the estate a former asylum, or is it the home of someone else who once was driven mad in the bedroom? Whatever the room used to be, the reader knows one thing for sure: Jane is not the first person to tear the yellow paper from the walls. The story is filled with specific details about the bedroom, but they create ambiguity rather than clarity.

Reading Jane’s journal leaves the reader with a final question. Is she an unreliable narrator recording her own descent into insanity at the hands of a domineering husband, or is she a reliable narrator overwhelmed by supernatural forces and ultimately possessed by a demon? The answer, however, is unimportant. Jane is destroyed either way, and whatever it is that extinguishes her spirit and steals her life is truly evil. "

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Garthgoyle .. The story is just a short one they did in AP Lanugage .. You can read it here.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1952

She loves a good creepy story and this one stuck in her head as a neat inspiration for her art.
She's been pulling inspiration from all over, social issues, working with face structure with different ethnicities, all sorts of stuff .. Just really enjoying portraiture and using different mediums for each one. She'll be doing a double major at Chapel Hill ( just enrolled) next year, art will be one and she's also going for Bio, hopefully leading into their Genetics program.

Hope more people will join in, I know there was an art thread here last year .. But I couldn't find it. I remember a lot of talented folks sharing their works though!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nightmarefamily, I hope you share pics of her once she's done!

If anyone wants to share off topic art, I'd love to see it too. Let me know and I'd be happy to start a post in the off topic section. All three of my kids are artistically inclined, so this is a big part of our household. I would enjoy seeing people's work, I know there's a lot of creative, out of the box thinkers here and loads of talent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's a great portrait, It's actually larger than I first thought, I noticed the hands just about visible in the photo, and it looks like it's quite a large piece of card or paper. Thanks for sharing.
If I get around to it, I might post some of my drawings sometime.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I love your doodles, home brew!

I made this for our living room a couple of weeks ago. It's not really "horrific"by my standards, but for some ...

View attachment 241026

It's acrylic on canvas, and embroidery.
Looks Great!!!! Very cool piece:)

Art inspired from Horror?

Have you seen my wedding pictures? Just kidding.
I look like I want to run in my wedding pics. Soooo surprised that it ended. NOT!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts