Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally decided to pull the trigger and have a Halloween party. I've always wanted to, but I live alone and am self conscious about the cleanliness of my house. I decided "life's too short [redacted] it!"

I'm a huge Batman fan both metaphorically and literally (too many carbs) so I decided on Arkham Asylum for the criminally insane as my theme.

I don't particularly want people going into the bedrooms so I decided that I would keep the doors closed and decorate the doors to look like cells. I have five doors (including closets) so each can be the cell of a major Batman villain.

My plan for the doors is three parts. The simplest part is a room number which will be stick on numbers from the craft store. The really cool part will be a fake bared window. I plan to put a picture of various Villains matted in to a padded cell back drop.

The third item is where I decided to start. Cells would obviously need locks!! none of the doors in questions have locks. I decided to make a fake lock to attach (temporarily) right below the handle to look like an old antique lock. You have to start some where...

After making some sketches and deciding on a design I started construction. I made a master out of wood and polystyrene. Then I made a mold so I could cast enough for all the doors. Here are photos of the stages of construction...

Wooden Master
IMG_1016[1].jpg

Test fitting the master
IMG_1017[1].jpg

Resin cast
IMG_1019[1].jpg

Finished lock plates
IMG_1022[1].jpg

Finished Test Fit
IMG_1025[1].jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh my gosh...it's these little details that really make the event for me! I hope your guests appreciate the effort you're going to invest in this - I can't wait to see more!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great theme and I absolutely love the locks that you did! Such a great detail!! The bars look great, excited to see them with the photos behind

·
Registered
895 Posts
You're well on your way to having a house decorated months in advance. Like you, our party days are sometimes the motivation we need to get our house cleaned up. But the work on those locks is quite amazing. We're sure the cell windows will be just as much fun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's some more progress. At the entrance to the hallway with the "cells" I wanted to hang a sign. Since these are the most dangerous Batman villains the choice was obvious...

In place...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts