Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to this English class, I made A's. This teacher is just, weird. My dad said that different English teachers have different ideas on what is correct, but really. My first paper I wrote about this adventure at a Church Camp when I was young. It was about how there was an abandoned house and we all thought there was a vampire in there (KIDS imaginations!), and how we went to look in this house. She DID tell me that there story was well written, very vivid, she actually pictured the said house. But, she edited parts I feel should not have been touched. The first, the line went something like: "Naturally, the idea to go take a look in the windows came up". Okay, maybe I should have put "in our conversations", but she took out came up. She said it should say "Naturally, the idea to go take a look in the window". PERIOD. What? That really seems like an incomplete sentence. The other line "Areas OF the floor were missing". As in, the house was so old that parts of the floor were missing. She said it should be "Areas ON the floor were missing". I mean. Really? So I ended up get a freaking 90.

I have another paper due soon, it has to be a how to. I picked "How to kick caffeine to the curb" (I just recently cut out caffeine, yay! I had a huge addiction and I would get so sick without it, but I finally gave it up). I am kind of terrified to see the absurdness she comes up with.

I have a B average right now. That might seem grand, but to me, it is not.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
yeah, that first edit makes zero sense. and the second one just seems entirely unnecessary.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I even went up and asked her what she thinks should be there. She said it was fine by itself? No, it is not! and I also told her what I meant about the floor and she still wouldn't budge :-/

This class meets once a week, for 3 hours. Twice now she has cancelled the class at last minute. I live 30 minutes away. I was rushing getting the kids with their dad (he works near my school so we meet and he takes them home while I go to class). I rushed to get up to the class, dropped all my stuff in the road. I get up there and sit for a minute and someone says that she emailed and cancelled class. TWICE now. We are so behind......

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just irked me. I really should have had at least a 95!

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
define what is "good writing" is necessarily subjective, but "Naturally, the idea to go take a look in the window" is not a sentence. that one baffles me.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
define what is "good writing" is necessarily subjective, but "Naturally, the idea to go take a look in the window" is not a sentence. that one baffles me.
It leaves a lot of questions. Go look in the window and do what? It is lame, and it pisses me off that I can't do anything about it and get the grade that I deserve.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just pray she will do some sort of extra credit so I can get an A in that class. Well, really I just need to make 100s on all my journal entries and do well on the remaining papers. She counted me off a few weeks ago because she said it wasn't long enough. It was a page, just like everyone else. I read fast, I don't mean to.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
In High Schools, my art and english and french teachers would almost fail me, as they could not believe I was the one writing my papers, stories and art.

Guess what, I am a pro comicbook artist and writer now, and teaches Animation and comicbook classes.

Suck it, teaches!

1508608-kXP1uD-Tlr8EyhIp.jpg

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
It leaves a lot of questions. Go look in the window and do what? It is lame, and it pisses me off that I can't do anything about it and get the grade that I deserve.
what's the context of that line? does the sentence before it give any insight as to why she did that? her change leaves it as an incomplete sentence, and that's not a stylistic choice or anything, that's just changing something right to something wrong.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"We all wanted to know more about this exiled cabin. Why had it been pushed to the side and ignored, and left to rot after all of these years? Naturally, the idea for us to sneak over and take a look into the windows came up".

This was copied from my paper.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
i'm not the world's foremost grammar expert, but i'd bet $100 that it's correct the way you have it and incorrect the way she edited it to be.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
"We all wanted to know more about this exiled cabin. Why had it been pushed to the side and ignored, and left to rot after all of these years? Naturally, the idea for us to sneak over and take a look into the windows came up".

I'm not a teacher or even a college graduate but I am the (uncompensated) editor & marketing director at work now (don't even get me started on that, it's for another time & thread) so the only thing I'd change is this:

"Naturally, the idea came up for us to sneak over and take a look into the windows."

Or maybe even leave out the "naturally."

Or "Someone had the idea to sneak over & look into the windows."

There's lots of combinations one could come up with, but none of them would be what the teacher suggested.

But don't feel too badly, this is an actual sentence from an article in the Washington Post:
The man lighted himself on fire just a few blocks from where federal agents killed Miriam Carey after a car chase from the White House to the Capitol.
LIGHTED! :rolleyes:

Link to story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/man-who-set-himself-on-fire-on-mall-dies/2013/10/05/2fc2932e-2ddf-11e3-b139-029811dbb57f_story.html?tid=pm_local_pop

From the Washington Post, a nationally recognized paper, just bought by Jeff Bezos of Amazon fame. I hope he hires some editors.:rolleyes:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'm not a teacher or even a college graduate but I am the (uncompensated) editor & marketing director at work now (don't even get me started on that, it's for another time & thread) so the only thing I'd change is this:

"Naturally, the idea came up for us to sneak over and take a look into the windows."

Or maybe even leave out the "naturally."

Or "Someone had the idea to sneak over & look into the windows."

There's lots of combinations one could come up with, but none of them would be what the teacher suggested.

But don't feel too badly, this is an actual sentence from an article in the Washington Post:
The man lighted himself on fire just a few blocks from where federal agents killed Miriam Carey after a car chase from the White House to the Capitol.
LIGHTED! :rolleyes:

Link to story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/man-who-set-himself-on-fire-on-mall-dies/2013/10/05/2fc2932e-2ddf-11e3-b139-029811dbb57f_story.html?tid=pm_local_pop

From the Washington Post, a nationally recognized paper, just bought by Jeff Bezos of Amazon fame. I hope he hires some editors.:rolleyes:
and holy run on sentence! I see it on fb and hate it! I almost want to delete the people who dont use punctuation! Lol

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
sorry folks...i'm with the post on this one. "lighted" is less common but still an accepted past tense of "light."

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Oh don't defend them too much, they really do need some proofreaders. That stuff happens all the time & not just in the blog sections.

It just doesn't sound right. Of course "lit" can also mean drunk so maybe they didn't wanna confuse people. I dunno, it just doesn't sit well with me.

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
All this talk of grammar made me go and edit my previous post and add a period.

I tend to let myself slack off on the internets but at work we have grammar nazi's so I try to stay on my toes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts