Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a place to take the kids, but i'm still hesitant because of the ebola disease situation going around Dallas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Instead of having to walk all over the neighborhood this year, Im taking them to this pumpkin patch here in Texas. This should keep them occupied all day and there is plenty of activities besides looking for candy. I'm not sure people are going to want to go around trick or treating. what about you?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Heck no, I'm not ToTing anywhere near Dallas. That's like a 2 day drive from here, not worth the effort for a few hours of candy collecting. Besides,if I did, who would manage my yard haunt Halloween night?:D

Joking aside, I think the bigger worry is that enterovirus 68. Unlike ebola, we know that thing has spread nationwide and it is readily capable of causing polio-like muscle weakness, paralysis and death. You see a kid sneeze anywhere in the US on Halloween night and you have to wonder if its allergies, a cold, the flu, or enterovirus.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Blarghity, I agree that we are more likely to encounter the entereovirus than ebola. I refuse to be too scared to leave home. We don't have little ones any longer. I hope that all this does not keep kids at home. We always stay home because we are also busy with out haunt. Hope to have the come in droves as usual.

funofseasons that looks like fun, but you can be just as exposed there as out in the neighborhoods. I am headed back to check out the link. I live about an hour north of Dallas. However, we did decide not to go to the State Fair this year as just a precaution against all sickness even the impending flu virus.

Okay that pumpkin patch is about 30 minutes or so from me.

I was so sad to read and hear of the horrible accident at the professional hayride that happened on Friday. I can't remember where it was, but it was a tragedy.

If you are looking for a great Halloween experience visit Dark Hour Haunted House in Plano. It is on Hwy 75 across the road from Collin Creek Mall (behind the Olive Garden. It is an amazing show that is like a theme park experience only with a walk through. The props are first class and it is open year round with the shows changing through the seasons. All the waiting lines are in the heated and air conditioned state of art building and there is entertainment while you wait. This year Alan has a second haunt that is his personal project outside after you go through the big one. I have not been yet, to the Halloween season show but will be there next weekend. Well worth the money and time. Check out there website. I have numerous friends who work there.

F

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I live in the Dallas area and it saddens me to think that all my hard work to make my yard fun and the events I have planned will all go to waste if people decide to stay home out of fear of this disease. That being said, we live in a great city with all sorts of cool events. One idea would be Boo At The Zoo (I think both Dallas and Ft Worth zoos do it), there are several churches that are having fall festivals like Prestonwood Baptist, The Dallas Arboretum has it's Autumn event, Frontiers of Flight Museum is having a Halloween party, and the Sci-Tech Discovery Center has a Pumpkin Chunkin event on Nov 1. My advice would be to check out the Guide on the Dallas Morning News website for events.

·
black light queen
2,494 Posts
i'm kind of confused ... maybe someone can enlighten me ... but if people are worried about catching something, are they still sending their kids to school? i'd hazard a guess that being in close proximity to your classmates your chances of getting something is way higher than a someone you might pass on the sidewalk trick-or-treating, as there is more physical contact between classmates than strangers you might pass on halloween night ... and since this is the south, what about the people sitting beside you at church? ...

don't get me wrong, i'm all about being safe, but we also need to be logical and not over-react

ok, another of my rants is over ... :)

amk

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Here is another reason to not be scared in Dallas. This is the first highly publicized hemorrhagic fever event in the US, but it isn't the first such event in the US. Ebola is only one of a group of similarly deadly viruses that kill in the same way. I'm not talking about just the five strains of Ebola,but also Marburg, Lassa and several other viruses. People infected with these other viruses enter the US roughly 10 times per year without the media hurrah, and this rate of incidence has been relatively steady for the last two decades. How often can you recall hearing about those?

It is also a lie by the government that this is the first Ebola outbreak in the United States. It has happened once before, in 1989 in Reston, VA. However, at that time, it was a colony of macaque monkeys that were the victims, not humans.

And that's just the filoviridae viruses. Now consider all the times we've heard about people sickened by other highly infectious lethal diseases, like the various plagues and hantaviruses.

So the events we are seeing unfold so gratuitously on the news are simply things that have happened here in the US hundreds if not thousands of times before. The only real difference this time is the fact that this time around, it happened to catch the media's short attention span. We're pretty good at controlling and stopping the spread of lethal epidemics. No reason yet to barricade yourself into your homes in Dallas. Remember, as far as the news industry is concerned, your fear boosts their ratings. We really need to stop feeding that cycle.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
Ebola is NOT "going around" in Dallas. Far from it. One man has died of the disease that he contracted before entering the country. One other person, a nurse who tended to him has been diagnosed but has not yet experienced symptoms. The disease is not contagious until symptoms manifest. That's TWO people out of 1.25 million. Hardly a situation that would keep people from going out in public. Ridiculous, really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts