Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want so bad to put out some props full time in my graveyard but I don't want to take a chance but at the same time I want to make the most of the month of Oct. to treat myself and the public with my props.

Do you wait to put out the big guns for the big night or they out full time?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Big guns (large inflatable hearse, figures) go out before our party (the 26th this year) until Halloween. Cheaper items - bluckies, wallys, tombstones, lights, etc) are up as soon as I cut the lawn). Sad, but I'd rather be safe. Most of my items are in the haunt/garage, so I can lock them up safe. Those I start putting up around the end of September...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I typically put out a few items such as webbing and a tombstone or two. I also have a fairly big wooden grave popper that I would be devastated to lose, but I do put it out as well with the hopes that it's just too cumbersome for someone to steal. Outside of that, far too nervous to put my stuff out, even though I work for my local PD and can get extra patrols. They simply can't be there all night :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
This subject is part of the reason I stopped doing props a few years ago, just now getting back into it. I had a casket with a popup stolen from my yard a couple of days before Halloween that year. It was the same year the entire graveyard got destroyed by a bunch of kids and adults that showed up off a bus. I blame myself for the casket since I never thought to have cameras and let myself believe that no one would mess with it in my stuff.

I've learned from that, and now once my daughter and I get things built again, I will be more cautious about what I do.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I do spiderwebs and some lit foam pumpkins in the yard. One full-sized Michael Myers prop on the porch. The platform he is anchored to is screwed into the porch and he is put together well so he would be tough (but not impossible) to steal. His mask is not my "good" Myers mask; it's one of those $15 ones. The coveralls and boots were free. Nothing else comes out till Halloween.

I had a cool dummy stolen from my porch when I was like 9 years old. It totally made me paranoid about decorations being stolen, to the point where I would sit out on the porch and do my homework and "guard" when I was in high school. At this point I basically put my "b" stuff out early. "B" stuff being stuff I won't be super upset if I was to lose it. The "A" stuff Halloween only.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It takes me a month to set up, so I start around the end of Aug. or at the very latest the 1st of sept. Most of my stuff is all homemade, but it is all behind a pvc fence. On Halloween I do put out a few of my indoor stuff outside and take it back in that night.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I put out things that wont be ruined in case the weather gets bad. We get really bad wind with storms beccause we are on the east side of the BlueRidge and those winds howl down the mountain. I always save some stuff to a few days before.. This year on the Saturday before ( if its not raining) We have invited my husbands siblings and their famlies so we get a test run. I use those battery operated candles out in the 3 graveyards and they look really great. I dont leave them out overnight because I think some of the wildlife would eat them LOL ~ Pat

·
Registered
148 Posts
I do the same thing, the buckies and tonbstones and lights etc are all out. Its the stuff thats expensive or with things that will damage in the weather I leave in the garage. Sometimes I cover stuff so I dont have to take it down. I have one of those 15 foot inflatables and that wont be out until the 26th ( the night of our party as well) Years ago We always insisted our friends and family come on Halloween. They knew that was the big deal and you were expected to come in costume.. As years have past and our friends have gotten older, they dont want to go out on a work night, or a school night and they dont want to wear a costume.. We stopped being so serious about it and just let them come in whatever and we try for the Saturday before. We do have a small group of friends who come for drinks on Halloween ~ Pat

·
Registered
148 Posts
I do that as well. I have homemade stuff of paper mache and also some props that were from a store ( Fortunoffs) that closed in NY and those go out at dusk and in when I walk the dog and the lights go off at 1am ~ Pat

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
My swinging skeleton stays out full time. I just try to cover the motor with a bag if it's going to rain.
My Styrofoam gargoyles on top of my small fence pillars are out 24/7 also.I also leave out my big vampire bat from Walgreens and Dollar store tombstones.
Nobody really bothers anything in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Nooooooooo... I normally do not put out anything much until the actual day of Halloween, since I do not trust people and don't want my items being damaged or taking a stroll.

·
Witch of the Midwest!
912 Posts
I have tombstones out and quite a bit on my porch. I have a fenced yard with a locked gate, although I don't trust that some little maggot wouldn't jump the fence to steal something.

Too bad these little thieves don't live in the middle east where they chop your hand off for stealing. Bring me those kids and an ax! ha ha!

:)

Nooooooooo... I normally do not put out anything much until the actual day of Halloween, since I do not trust people and don't want my items taking a stroll.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Yep, I leave my stuff out. Too much to move back and forth and the thing is, if I was really worried about vandals and things getting stolen, I wouldn't be doing this to begin with. I want folks to see my haunt. I want the kids to be talking about it all month. I like the drivebys and folks taking pictures. It's all part of the process and setting up at the last minute takes all that away and minimizes what I want to do.

We get lots of threads like this throughout the season and I still haven't heard of anyone getting caught and punished. They do a great job of pushing out paranoia and discouragement but aren't really helpful in my opinion. You can arm yourself with cameras and sensors but that won't stop those intent on mayhem, and besides, the court system doesn't have time for someone who breaks a few foam tombstones. So, you either trust your neighbors or you don't. If I didn't trust my neighbors, I would be out of the Halloween business and probably start looking for a new neighborhood to move to.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
I start putting stuff out the end of Sept and continue adding more each day up to and including Oct 31st! I run my lights and animations from dusk til dawn so everything is lit up and running all night long rain or shine.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
So far, I have only had one item stolen. One year, my decorations got covered with soot from the nearby wildfires. I think if I had more happen, I would be more cautious. There are several props that I leave indoors because they are special to me, and so many kids come through after school and on weekends that they do get seen and appreciated. But, for the most part, I put up my display on Oct. 1 and leave it out there all month to enjoy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts