Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many others out there are singleton Haunters? And how many are in relationships with someone who is not into Halloween?

The upside of doing it on my own is I get to realize my own vision. The downside is I have to pay for it all myself. ;)

How about you?

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I have always been a singleton haunter. I haven't been able to decorate much in the last few years; last year not at all. That wasn't his fault in any way, though. This year we have our own home with a nice front yard. It's not a huge yard, but it will do. He's definitely not into it like I am, and he likes to give me a hard time about it, but good-naturedly. I think that he likes it more than he lets on, and he's just never had the opportunity to do something like my display before.

He went "Halloween shopping" for me twice already this year; and every weekend since things started hitting shelves, he's encouraged me to at least go look to see if I find something that I like. I hope that he gets more into it once he sees what it looks like put together. Right now it's just boxes of stones n bones!

That's a WHOLE lot more than my ex husband ever did; he was the Halloween Scrooge.

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I was married ,she didn't help but she didn't complain either (only when it was inconvenient for her) but this will be the first year as a single man ..but I can't see it being any different...so I'm unsure why I even bothered posting this because it's neither here nor there...LOL, sorry for wasting our time...lol

·
Never try to eat a zombie
778 Posts
I am a single dad of two toddlers, I don't have a girlfriend, have'nt even gone on a date in years. I just focus my attention on my kids. I want to start dating again but don't want to deal w/ drama lol I guess I am scared lol!!!

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Hey you single guys and girls out there, hang in there. Yeah dating is scary but not as scary as Halloween!

Hubby definitely has a bah humbug of halloween mentality. But he's still a keeper and does occasionally support my efforts to decorate. Still have hopes one day he'll wake up and smell the pumpkin spice and cinnamon and get excited it's halloween time. At least he's not a total Scrooge about it. Hey, he's that way about xmas too. Just not into holidays. I grew up as a kid loving holidays.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
SIngle here too, and like Bl00d, I'm not putting any effort into fixing that until my daughter has her degree.

It would be nice to find someone who's into haunting, but it's not a prerequisite....that one's down a few rungs on the priority list

·
Registered
178 Posts
My husband helps when I ask and he knows my Halloween side. His whole family knows after the 4th of July I am pretty much in full Halloween mode. I am grateful for the extra help I receive this time of year.
I knew he finally understood when I was trying to get blood off of everything from a special effects look I did for a Zombie walk (which we had a party to go to afterwards)
I said I bet you didnt think this weekend youd be helping me get blood and latex off of the shower, he said meh this is pretty normal now. Hahah

·
Registered
210 Posts
Recently single here too, and it had something to do with my Halloween stuff/religious bull****...crazy women. 8)

I do it all myself...Huge yard haunt, indoor setup, and this year my first garage walkthrough, Ive been working on that for 3 weeks, it takes my mind off things and keeps me busy. Im from Mass, I was going to do an outside walkthrough, but due to the last couple years weather, I decided I would do it indoors so I dont have to deal with wind/rain/snow/hurricanes.

I would LOVE to find a girl that shares in my love of Halloween, I try, but never have any luck. Maybe she is lurking on these boards somewhere? 8)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ohhhh the other half just doesn't understand me! He doesn't tell me 'no' though, so that's a bonus! Lol He'll help me put things together, go shopping with me, he doesn't complain. He just isn't as thrilled by holidays as I am. He has said before that he hates decorating because a few weeks later everything has to come down and then we're onto the next holiday. He tolerates my madness quite well! :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have always been a singleton haunter. I haven't been able to decorate much in the last few years; last year not at all. That wasn't his fault in any way, though. This year we have our own home with a nice front yard. It's not a huge yard, but it will do. He's definitely not into it like I am, and he likes to give me a hard time about it, but good-naturedly. I think that he likes it more than he lets on, and he's just never had the opportunity to do something like my display before.

He went "Halloween shopping" for me twice already this year; and every weekend since things started hitting shelves, he's encouraged me to at least go look to see if I find something that I like. I hope that he gets more into it once he sees what it looks like put together. Right now it's just boxes of stones n bones!

That's a WHOLE lot more than my ex husband ever did; he was the Halloween Scrooge.
Your guy sounds like a real sweetheart. :) You have to love someone who encourages and supports your passions when they don't share it or understand it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have always loved Halloween and when we first got married my husband could not have cared less.However over the years we have both grown to love the holiday together and he is my partner when it comes to getting ready for halloween. He is right beside me helping come up with new ideas and we share the same vision more often than not. Our anniversary and his birthday are two days apart in September and we always buy new props for each other. He got me the Misfortune Teller and I got him the Wacky Mole Clown. We have worked together in the garage all summer building new fence and egyptian columns tombstones etc. Our friends think we are weird but they can't wait to come over every year. He is great howver he needs to get off the couch now less than forty days!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HE just doesn't get it, and he never will.
To me the downside is no help with rigging things together and also no one to share the joy I get from it.
I know exactly what you mean. People are amused or befuddled by my Halloween passion but they don't understand it. When I tell hthem in late August that I am behind on my H'ween stuff they look at me like I'm nuts. :)

Then again my ex was into it but didn't seem to get much joy from Halloween. It was all about getting it up and pulling it off but without the fun inherent in the process. He was also quite the bossy boots and liked things HIS way. I like things MY way so we basically divided the yard into his kid friendly, game centred Halloween and my spooky, scary haunt. I also come from a theatre and film background so details are very important to me. For example, I liked to decorate right up to the roofline with rats and severed heads and so forth. He said no one would notice them so it was a waste. My view is that they would FEEL them in the ambience.

Anyway, I'd still like someone in my life who is into it AND enjoys it. Is that asking too much?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am a single dad of two toddlers, I don't have a girlfriend, have'nt even gone on a date in years. I just focus my attention on my kids. I want to start dating again but don't want to deal w/ drama lol I guess I am scared lol!!!
Hey, there are a lot of great things about being single and nothing wrong with being focused on your kids! :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I was a singleton haunter for years with help from my father occasionally. What I had wasn't large but it was mine.

Once I started dating the man who is now my husband he started helping. He takes the day off with me, he helps build stuff & critique stuff, he'll pretty much do whatever I ask of him except he thinks I have too much Halloween stuff & I say "That's crazy talk!" Though I am weeding things out now & getting down to what I really like & want to keep just to make more sense of what I have & to free up some space.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts