Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for any props that might use the magic beer fountain to incorporate it in my pirate theme. Maybe mounted on a mini barrel or some kind of rum drinking pirate. I was thinking of mounting it on a barrel and maybe have a pirate holding the mug. Or can it be used to do the drinking pirate somehow? I was unable to locate any after going through many pages so thought I would ask if any come to mind. Thanks in advance for any info.
image.jpg

·
Registered
668 Posts
The drinking pirate is on my to do list. I haven't found plans for it, but figured a cheap recirculating pond pump would have ample power to work. First I need to make my busted pirate ship to go with my skeletal helmsman I made last year. If you can't find a tutorial for yours, be sure to post up along your making of it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have made one of these before, but with a water spigot in a pond. You basically need a clear tube, and a small pump.
The pump is in a reservoir, and the liquid is pumped up the tube to the spigot, or beer tap, etc.
The trick is getting the liquid to come out around the spigot and flow evenly back down the outside of the tube back into the reservoir.
Its a fun project and a good illusion if done properly.
Pete

·
Registered
356 Posts
"Tutorial".....I saw "tuts" and "magic beer faucet" and looked here to see how you planned to incorporate a beer faucet into a mummy exhibit! I'll just go back to browsing the posts now.....

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
That is an interesting notion....I think if you have a barrel available, or can get/build one, this could definitely make a pretty nifty companion piece to a 'Drinking Pirate'!

However, if you decide you'd rather take a run at a more traditional 'Rum Drinking Pirate', it is actually a pretty simple build. It can be done several different ways, but in essence you need:

- a small water pump (such as you would use in a backyard pond)
- a clear tube of appropriate size for the pump to transport to the jug/goblet
- a water container to house the pump and recirculate the water (I used a half-barrel planter from Lowe's)
- something for him to drink from. (I used a goblet, but a lightweight bottle could be used just as easily).

The pump is placed in the large water container you select; some bury it, but that offers a whole separate list of challenges. ;)

We elected to use a reservoir that just worked with the display, and eliminated the need to hide, disguise, or bury it. A half barrel planter from the home improvement stores was selected to house the pump, and provide a 'base' for the pirate to lean against.

The tube is then run from the pump, and up the skellie's arm (easily obscured by a shirt sleeve) and then through the bottom of goblet/bottle/jug. The water pours through the skellie's wide open mouth into the large water container, and the whole cycle starts over again.

There are more detailed elements such as how to form his hands (I used a heat gun to bend the fingers), attach the tube (I used zip-ties), pose him, etc. but those are largely details that can be worked out based on the individual design.

Below is a picture of our version in action; he simply leans up against the half-barrel, and the water is recycled:

Drinking Pirate.jpg

A video walkthrough of a permanent installation version can be seen below (along with a whole bunch of other cool pirate props from the same user on his channel); it might help in case folks decide to tackle one:

Hope that helps!
:)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is an interesting notion....I think if you have a barrel available, or can get/build one, this could definitely make a pretty nifty companion piece to a 'Drinking Pirate'!

However, if you decide you'd rather take a run at a more traditional 'Rum Drinking Pirate', it is actually a pretty simple build. It can be done several different ways, but in essence you need:

- a small water pump (such as you would use in a backyard pond)
- a clear tube of appropriate size for the pump to transport to the jug/goblet
- a water container to house the pump and recirculate the water (I used a half-barrel planter from Lowe's)
- something for him to drink from. (I used a goblet, but a lightweight bottle could be used just as easily).

The pump is placed in the large water container you select; some bury it, but that offers a whole separate list of challenges. ;)

We elected to use a reservoir that just worked with the display, and eliminated the need to hide, disguise, or bury it. A half barrel planter from the home improvement stores was selected to house the pump, and provide a 'base' for the pirate to lean against.

The tube is then run from the pump, and up the skellie's arm (easily obscured by a shirt sleeve) and then through the bottom of goblet/bottle/jug. The water pours through the skellie's wide open mouth into the large water container, and the whole cycle starts over again.

There are more detailed elements such as how to form his hands (I used a heat gun to bend the fingers), attach the tube (I used zip-ties), pose him, etc. but those are largely details that can be worked out based on the individual design.

Below is a picture of our version in action; he simply leans up against the half-barrel, and the water is recycled:

View attachment 194722

A video walkthrough of a permanent installation version can be seen below (along with a whole bunch of other cool pirate props from the same user on his channel); it might help in case folks decide to tackle one:

Hope that helps!
:)
That is so cool. I have to incorporate a drinking pirate somehow. I was thinking the magic faucet so I can hopefully get an easy look but not sure how exactly now to do it yet. Thank you for the reply and great tutorial video.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Danski, at the suggestion of my grandson I made a drinking pirate that may be the very thing your are talking about. I used two 1/2 barrel plastic planters that I got from Walmart for $14 each and put them together to make the rum barrel. Then I put a wooden wine spigot in the barrel with a plastic tube running from the spigot through the back of the barrel and down to a small fountain pump that is in a catch basin under the pirate. The pond fountain pumps the water "rum" from the catch basin up through the tube going through the barrel then out the spigot. The "rum" then flows from the spigot down into the pirate's mouth and finally flows back into the catch basin under the pirate. The wooden wine spigot cost about $3.00 plus shipping. Actually this was a pretty simple prop to build. I have a tutorial on how I built the barrels on my website below. There are so many cool drinking pirate props out there. I can't wait to see how you do your drinking pirate.
IMG_0097.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts