Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the cool tutorial on the DIY mini spot lights and was wondering if any one has any other ideas on where to get some cheap lighting. I was considering the ones at frightprops but thought I would ask to see if there are any other sources I have not found. I have some of the spirit spotlights but they are rather large. I would like some nice and small, easy to hide lighting. They may need to light up from around 10 to 15 feet away. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Not sure if this will help, Danski, but for small spot lights we purchased mini flashlights from Harbor Freight. They were on sale for 9.99/pkg of 10, which included the batteries. I used electrical tape to attach flashlight to lengths of cut clothes hangers. Worked great to either poke into the ground or wrap around something.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Not sure if this will help, Danski, but for small spot lights we purchased mini flashlights from Harbor Freight. They were on sale for 9.99/pkg of 10, which included the batteries. I used electrical tape to attach flashlight to lengths of cut clothes hangers. Worked great to either poke into the ground or wrap around something.
This can be enhanced with theatrical color gels. These are sheets of colored, transparent, heat resistant nylon used to color spotlights in theatrical productions. Costs about $8.50 for a 20x24 inch sheet, which is enough to tint the projected light of many dozens of those flashlights. AND you get to select from a few hundred colors, not the limited selection of colors LEDs are available in.

Colors I use the most are Urban Vapor, Gaslight Green, Skeleton Exotic Sangria, Flesh Pink, Iris Purple and Chocolate.

EDIT: Also, these LED flashlights are typically 3-cell flashlights, meaning 4.5 volts. That means they can easily be adapted to connect to a 5 volt power system with inexpensive modification.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. Will have to give those a look. We just opened a HBF in my town too. I am after some colored lights but I suppose it doesn't hurt to add some white lighting which I currently do not own. Thank you for the great tip. I suppose these are white as I am on my way over to look at these online now.

·
Super Moderator
5,661 Posts
This can be enhanced with theatrical color gels. These are sheets of colored, transparent, heat resistant nylon used to color spotlights in theatrical productions. Costs about $8.50 for a 20x24 inch sheet, which is enough to tint the projected light of many dozens of those flashlights. AND you get to select from a few hundred colors, not the limited selection of colors LEDs are available in.

Colors I use the most are Urban Vapor, Gaslight Green, Skeleton Exotic Sangria, Flesh Pink, Iris Purple and Chocolate.

EDIT: Also, these LED flashlights are typically 3-cell flashlights, meaning 4.5 volts. That means they can easily be adapted to connect to a 5 volt power system with inexpensive modification.
Or grab your kid's markers to color some ziploc bags and use a rubber band for your gels.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never thought of using those mini flashlights. I don't do much outdoor haunting and can see where these would be great to stick on some wire in the ground. I mainly do indoor garage stuff but I can see how this would work for me there also. The color gels are a great idea also. This could very well be what I need. No power needed. You guys are just a wealth of knowledge. Thank you. Any sources for the theatrical gel sheets I should consider.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I never thought of using those mini flashlights. I don't do much outdoor haunting and can see where these would be great to stick on some wire in the ground. I mainly do indoor garage stuff but I can see how this would work for me there also. The color gels are a great idea also. This could very well be what I need. No power needed. You guys are just a wealth of knowledge. Thank you. Any sources for the theatrical gel sheets I should consider.
Last time I bought color gels, I ordered them from adorama.com

But start out buying a swatch book. It will cost you $5-$8 with shipping, and you'll get samples of every available color and diffusion filter in a particular product line, allowing you to try out the many colors available. The samples are 1x2 or 1x3 inches, plenty to do up 1-3 lights, depending on their diameter.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
We have SO much stuff plugged in; lighting, props, foggers, etc~discovered about 4 yrs ago this was a good, cheap alternative to lighting those out of the way spots in the haunt without the risk of blowing the transformers out in the neighborhood. For me, fewer power cords=happy haunter :D

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,936 Posts
I like these... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JHZSEG/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a few drawbacks. They don't default back to whatever color they were set on when shut off when turned back on, and the color is a little harsh and off, but the color can be fixed just by taping a circle of wax paper over the lens as a diffuser. I bought 2 last year and was satisfied with them even with the quirks. The price is right. I use them in those green yard stake fixtures.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have SO much stuff plugged in; lighting, props, foggers, etc~discovered about 4 yrs ago this was a good, cheap alternative to lighting those out of the way spots in the haunt without the risk of blowing the transformers out in the neighborhood. For me, fewer power cords=happy haunter :D
Yes I TOTALLY agree with this. Even for my situation. Less wire is way cool.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like these... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JHZSEG/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a few drawbacks. They don't default back to whatever color they were set on when shut off when turned back on, and the color is a little harsh and off, but the color can be fixed just by taping a circle of wax paper over the lens as a diffuser. I bought 2 last year and was satisfied with them even with the quirks. The price is right. I use them in those green yard stake fixtures.

Oh yah, that's a good idea too. I have some of those green yard stakes too.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wish I could find that deal. Our HF only has a two pack and single ones. Gonna keep looking though. Might find some at a yardsale or flea market.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm gonna give these a try. 9 dollars for 12. So 15 delivered. Says there super bright and shows them lighting up some halloween stuff. I can always use them for close illumination if not bright enough. image.jpg

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wish I could find that deal. Our HF only has a two pack and single ones. Gonna keep looking though. Might find some at a yardsale or flea market.
The Dollar tree and 99cent stores have them, but don't come with batteries. But you can get the batteries there so for around $14 you can have 8 working lights.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yah I was thinking about dollar tree. Then thought I would give something with a clip a go after seeing those stealth lights.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Somewhere on here is a thread about a dollar tree light holder as well, but I cant seem to find it? It was something that stuck into the ground and held the light up about 4-5in?

Maybe someone else will know what Im talking about?

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I didn't see those other light. Yeah they look cool, lets us know how the work.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Somewhere on here is a thread about a dollar tree light holder as well, but I cant seem to find it? It was something that stuck into the ground and held the light up about 4-5in?

Maybe someone else will know what Im talking about?

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I didn't see those other light. Yeah they look cool, lets us know how the work.
Will do. Just a bit concerned about the throw distance. May just be used for some closer type illumination but I can still get a use out of them. I think I will still be out to find some mini flashlights with the color gels though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts