Halloween Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Well reading this thread sure made me certain that we could all get use of that all year long building social group!

Today I'm moving stuff around which is really a hassle. Things were in place in certain areas & because we did not get all our projects completed now we are having to rearrange things differently. We are seriously behind here so now its everybody works & we go one room after another. Outside has a few more props & inside we got to finish the garage which we are on right now. Just dressed the witch, dracula, his bride & a prop & getting ready to move the coffin in place.

Next is the completion of the dining room (almost done), which will be the witches spell room, then onto the "Bat Room" (bathroom), the haunted hallway & a few touches on the frighting foyer!

Tonight we make candy, tomorrow morning we dip & then tomorrow night we make treat bags for the kids, get the "Cadaver Cafe & Candy Kitchen" set up with its props & popcorn machine. Fill the candy coffins w/ chocolates for the adults & then Friday morning I bake whatever we are gonna feed them friday night!
Whew>>>will I make it??lol

Muf

·
Curator of the random
652 Posts
lol you guys always make me feel like such a slacker.

No servos, no pneumatics, no music/light integration software, no fog machines. All on a 20 sq ft or so piece of a trailer lot...

If any of you are interested, you can take a peek,as I have posted a Halloween'08 album in the member's section, and posted a link in my sig...

·
Registered
382 Posts
The past week has been hellish for me. I have really been cranking through on trying to get my props done. I think I may have put a little too much on my plate. Been up every night until 3am painting all my props.

- Last night I just finally finished all 10 of my custom made tombstones
- Also, I decided about last week I was going to make a graveyard fence complete with 7 columns. Got all the columns painted and completed last night as well.
- Fence is almost done just need to do the rust treatment.
- 3-axis bucky routine still needs to be finalized and I still have to mount it on my bucky. Hopefully I will get that done tonight.
- Lighting still needs to be completed. Going to get that worked our tonight I hope.
- Test placement of my new strobe that I got this year. Hopefully my lighting controller works with it. Still haven't tried it.

I think the biggest thing I'm worried about not working is the 3-axis.

I'm stressing out!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well reading this thread sure made me certain that we could all get use of that all year long building social group!

Today I'm moving stuff around which is really a hassle. Things were in place in certain areas & because we did not get all our projects completed now we are having to rearrange things differently. We are seriously behind here so now its everybody works & we go one room after another. Outside has a few more props & inside we got to finish the garage which we are on right now. Just dressed the witch, dracula, his bride & a prop & getting ready to move the coffin in place.

Next is the completion of the dining room (almost done), which will be the witches spell room, then onto the "Bat Room" (bathroom), the haunted hallway & a few touches on the frighting foyer!

Tonight we make candy, tomorrow morning we dip & then tomorrow night we make treat bags for the kids, get the "Cadaver Cafe & Candy Kitchen" set up with its props & popcorn machine. Fill the candy coffins w/ chocolates for the adults & then Friday morning I bake whatever we are gonna feed them friday night!
Whew>>>will I make it??lol

Muf
LOL- Where do you find the time to post?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
hahahahaha....you guys are nuts!!lol

No on a more serious note, I have some serious health issues going on & so now instead of going 100mph I had to really slow down a lot......my balance is messed up & I can't stand on my feet very much....sometimes it puts me in bed for a few days. Its a pain condition & since last year its become chronic so because I have to sit down so many times between doing things thats when I post & probably why I post so much

Do it all while you can kids cause when the time comes or if it comes & your health starts to act up, man it can stop you dead in your tracks. Take care of yourselves, my decorating days are coming to an end unless we can find a treatment. I have high hopes. Plus I just ain't ready to throw the towel in yet but it does help to cry alot!!lol

Muf

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I don't feel so bad after reading these threads. I thought I was the only one who procrastinates and is having probs. with the weather.

Two giants spiders: done ( one with pneumatics one without)
Spider webbing framework (done and overkill)
little graveyard (done)
lighting (not even close)
Pop up spider (wired but, the picoboo is just too much for me, no sound for me)
Ipod sound to speakers for spiders (done)
webbing (not even started)
Dead corpse (wrapped and ready to be put out)
Aging the light up skulls (done and outside)
Trash can popper (put back together and ready to go)
Extension cords all layed out
Fog chiller (scrapped for next year)

I'm finding myself with more time then I need. I scrapped the fake rock and it is laying next to my garage for next year. I just need to spin my spider webs tomorrow and then put things out on Fri. and get everything rechecked. I had plenty of time but, just ran out of money for supplies to create new things. Being on a limited budget sucks. lol I'm really going to need the support social group for creating new props for next year. Every month I want to get some stuff done for next year. After seeing some of these houses you guys have is making me think, Bigger is Better. lol

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Muffy, sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you can get a little energy every once in a while to do little things. I'm on disability now because, of internal and back probs. so my energy is really limited and I can't do the things I use to do just a few years ago. Like you, that is why I can post so much too. I just need to sit down a lot and catch my breath or pop some more pain pills.
Good luck with everything. I know the kids appreciate every little thing done. It doesn't have to be a lot, even the little things show that you care.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yup for sure you know what I'm talking about....now it takes twice as long to do things & I'm still trying to adjust to that. I'm on pretty high pain pills but they only work for about an hour every 6 hours so finally hubby got me an appt. at the pain management clinic, I go Nov.17th....Jeez I hope they got a cocktail that will help!You take care!!

Muf

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It's hard to focus on all the things you really did accomplish when you know your complete vision is not going to happen. I empathize with you.

We ...
  1. built a new fence in late August / early Sep.
  2. built a lab slab for Frankenstein / monster with plasma balls in early Sep.
  3. built a new cover for the fog machine with lighted guages, that looks like a lab electrical control box.
  4. built new lab tables that collapse for storage
  5. built a jail for Hannibal Lector
  6. built a giant "spider web" roof using clear 6 mil plasic and web covered wood and PVC.
  7. built a device to raise and lower the spider along the wall
  8. built a new large tombstone - twice (wind ripped it up).
  9. built a "Black Box" monster raises and lowers the lid.
  10. extended the entrance section 18"+ to accomodate our new coffin greeter.
  11. re-built about 10%+ of the haunt after record Santa Ana winds hit us in mid October.
  12. wired 7 new ghosts with LED eyes and mounted them onto rebar and or conduit for the first time.
We did not ...
  1. make a tunnel running the width of the three garage doors.
  2. make a witches coven at the end of that planned tunnel
  3. make a tricky exit from that tunnel as planned
  4. make the spell book for the coven
  5. assemble all of our monsters.
  6. make enough spot lights
The "Did Not" list is shorter, but was to be a big impact on the flow of the haunt. Oh well. We do our best and live with it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I appreciate everyone's posts very very much. It really helped me personally, knowing I'm not alone with "creation frustration" lol, new phrase! :p

Reading that everyone else is in the same boat as me helped me refocus and reboot, oddly enough.

I decided to scrap the skeleton warrior till next year (he's just gonna be a plain ol'Skelley!

All we are gonna complete now that most of our lighting is done is:

1. Our Waylighter/crypt keeper.

2. Create a small "viewing room" for our staked Vampire corpse in a toepincher coffin.

I completed a crawling corpse for our graveyard. The rest will just have to wait till next year.
The good news is, my friend's dad had 3 large foam insulation boards (the 2 inch thick kind) blow into his yard from somewhere in town lol.
He's giving them to us for tombstones I believe.

Three cheers to the longest thread I ever started lol! :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I appreciate everyone's posts very very much. It really helped me personally, knowing I'm not alone with "creation frustration" lol, new phrase! :p

Reading that everyone else is in the same boat as me helped me refocus and reboot, oddly enough.

I decided to scrap the skeleton warrior till next year (he's just gonna be a plain ol'Skelley!

All we are gonna complete now that most of our lighting is done is:

1. Our Waylighter/crypt keeper.

2. Create a small "viewing room" for our staked Vampire corpse in a toepincher coffin.

I completed a crawling corpse for our graveyard. The rest will just have to wait till next year.
The good news is, my friend's dad had 3 large foam insulation boards (the 2 inch thick kind) blow into his yard from somewhere in town lol.
He's giving them to us for tombstones I believe.

Three cheers to the longest thread I ever started lol! :D

Good for you!! You know what ... You're the only one who knows (in your head) what the haunt was supposed to look like. My bet is that on H'ween night, lots of folks will be dazzled by your haunt and will give you loads of complements. Focus on what they say that night, not what you wanted to do ... You'll have a great night.

Then start making one prop a month in November and next H'ween will be less stressful. But I'll bet there will still be a couple of things you wanted to do that you won't have time for. Its the nature of the haunt :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
ok, I feel like the guy who came to the party way to late. I just finished my headstones and all but 3 dont have epitaphs on them. The reason for that is, I checked a few of them in my lights to see what they will look like (first time haunter by the way) and they looked pretty good but you cant see whats on them AT ALL!!! I did go out last night and buy 2 more lights to put in front of the back row of headstones so I hope that will fix the not enough light problem. Of course I dont have time for a test run before Halloween so I hope it will look good.

I also just finished my fog chiller Tuesday as well as painted my fence poles. This does take much more time than I thought it would. The guy down the cul-de-sac from me is having a huge BBQ for Halloween night as well as showing a movie on his garage door. He put out a TON of flyers all over the neighborhood so I am expecting a huge load of trick or treaters this year. This does work out well for my haunt if it looks good. If it doesnt, I could be committing Halloween suicide.

I do hope this comes out ok.

Have a great and safe Halloween and Happy Haunting.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well, we did a whole lot more this year than we've ever done but still not everything we had in mind. We intended to put out most of our stuff Thursday and Friday for Halloween night but instead got it all out over the weekend. We ended up entering a Haunt Your House contest last week and the judging was Sunday night. So we busted ass on Saturday and Sunday and got everything done. Well, almost. We did not have time to make the FCG. Oh well, next year. Also didn't have time to make the flicker candles posted somewhere around here. Next year for that as well. All that rushed work turned out really well, I think, but we didn't place in the top 3 or get an honorable mention in the contest. Argh! I am already planning next year, we will win!! Or at least get an honorable mention. :D I have one more project I wanted to do which is make sugar skulls for our party and I'm not sure if it'll get done or not. Have so much other stuff to do for the party!

·
Curator of the random
652 Posts
ok, I feel like the guy who came to the party way to late. I just finished my headstones and all but 3 dont have epitaphs on them. The reason for that is, I checked a few of them in my lights to see what they will look like (first time haunter by the way) and they looked pretty good but you cant see whats on them AT ALL!!! I did go out last night and buy 2 more lights to put in front of the back row of headstones so I hope that will fix the not enough light problem. Of course I dont have time for a test run before Halloween so I hope it will look good.

I also just finished my fog chiller Tuesday as well as painted my fence poles. This does take much more time than I thought it would. The guy down the cul-de-sac from me is having a huge BBQ for Halloween night as well as showing a movie on his garage door. He put out a TON of flyers all over the neighborhood so I am expecting a huge load of trick or treaters this year. This does work out well for my haunt if it looks good. If it doesnt, I could be committing Halloween suicide.

I do hope this comes out ok.

Have a great and safe Halloween and Happy Haunting.
If you would like I can post my epitaphs, which are , IMHO quite good and clever, I'll post a thread marked 'epitaphs' As a bonus, I'll even throw in so new ones that I brainstormed up yesterday. Stay frosty, audible, one thing I can say having been doing this for 19 years is it can and does get easier and better (eventually)...

EDIT - Done and done!http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/74311-epitaphs-beginners.html#post555051

21 - 37 of 37 Posts