Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gosh, like 3 days away and we are so behind on this year's projects.

the list:

1. Crypt Keeper/Waylighter guy (bout 75% completed)
2. Graveyard static corpse (rushed but completed, some paint chipping >.<)
3. Armored skeleton warrior (bout 60% complete)
4. Giant spider for the roof with a child spinning on a Rotisserie motor to simulate being spun in a web (SCRAPPED)

Due to it raining all last week, High wind advisories this past weekend, temps below 50% currently, 4 personal surgeries, and equipment failures we don't think we can make the deadline for this season :(

We did get a bunch of flicker candles done and now that we are on my fifth projector we have hallowindows working as intended...finally

We've had power outlets fail, the ballast in our flourescent lights in our garage caught fire today, sheesh, I even had a projector catch fire this weekend!

Other projects we scraped were a vampire room, crypt and more realistic headstones.

Always next year I guess, but gee wiz, we feel like we are being sabotaged!

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I sympathize. I have to repair one scarecrow due to wind damage. None of my other props are set up and can't be set up until after the tree service I expected next week finishes driving on my lawn tomorrow. I'm not happy with my lights. I haven't tested the crypt retrofit yet. I still have to finish the new scarecrow [50% done] and carve a couple of JoLs. I'm not sure where all my costume parts are. I have no idea of what I'm doing for a sound track. My new digital camera crapped out on me less than one day out of the box. I'll return it tomorrow and get another. Worst of all, I have a late afternoon appointment on Friday. On the up side I did get a set of 9 LED tea light flicker candles made and I managed to repair a broken tombstone, alter another, and finish 3 new stones. We also have all our candy ready and we've managed to not open any of the bags [yet]. My wife actually has a costume plan and it's pretty much ready to go. I'd really really like to cancel that appointment and I might knuckle under and do so. I guess it depends on how much I get done by Thursday.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow! did i hear an echo? hehe

I got a Dr's appt tomorrow and my co-haunter is having a Stent removed from his kidney on Thursday (valuable crafting time).

AND the Lithium battery in his camera crapped out! lol

The high winds knocked over our headstones but only one broke, he repaired it today.

Our scarecrow has been surprisingly sturdy though :)

I hope you get everything out on yer end. If yer anything like me, this was prolly all supposed to be done weeks ago, eh?

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Wow....that's such a close parallel it's a little freaky.

Done weeks ago? I wish. We found and bought this house in early August, closed on Sept 3, and I got my wife moved in around Sept 20. I was camping in one of the few rooms I was not splattering with paint or ripping out carpet left from an era devoid of good taste. the wife compromised--I didn't move a bunch of boxes in from the garage because I had to find where my Halloween totes got stashed so I could get to work. she didn't even roll her eyes when i unpacked tombstones and foam skulls before I unpacked our dishes. She understands my Halloween obsession even if she doesn't quite share it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nope.

Nowhere near finishing what i wanted to but......no worries here. I'm going to work up to the last minute and do what I can do.

What doesn't get done this year will be moved to next year stack.

This is supposed to be fun and not work....and I almost forgot that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I doubt I'll get it all done in time.

Also the list gets longer, tensions were high last night in the haunt. Too many loafers and not enough helpers :rolleyes:

But some stuff will just get put back to next year. :)

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
Will I get all my projects done.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAAAHAAAHAAA! You funny! :D

I won't get all of my projects done in my lifetime, much by Friday. The key ones for this year that aren't happening are major repairs to all tombstones ( moving damage) and a coffin. Between work, school, other work and baby, nope didn't happen. Should get them done next year. I hope. At least the coffin, since I'm going to be buried in it (not next year, I hope, but it pays to plan ahead, no?)

·
Registered
629 Posts
My projects for the year:
Vince the Vandal.......DONE!!
3 new tombstones....2 done, 1 about 20% finished
coffin pop-up.............45% finished
Cemetary gates........well maybe next year

2 days wasted doing repairs from last weeks storm, and it looks like another days repairs from the storm last night. At least I have Thursday and Friday off, I might get the coffin project done:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts

My effort last year amounted to one rushed days work to get a prop rigged up on a flying fox. It was very simple and required a very hands on approach to setting\releasing\voicing it but very effective in getting some scares. I also received a heap of positive feedback from the neighbourhood folks so I embarked on a year long 'obsession' to get a whole bunch of projects finished for this year;

* Gravestones - 14 completed
* GravePopper - Completed, just gotta test it under a full test tomorrow with my other pneumatic prop
* Popup Dude - As above
* Scrim Dude - Completed, just gotta get it mostly assembled tomorrow (thursday)
* Fog Chiller - Completed
* Fence - Completed
* Graveyard sign - Completed
* Various lighting\Vid cams to record it all\speakers setup etc. - Mostly completed.

Plus I've had to purchase the big stuff like an air compressor, the fog maker, some Pop1 controller boards etc. The term 'obsession' was coined by my wife, who I'm very fortunate is still putting up with me and all of this. This haunting caper sure is infectious :)

I've got the rest of the week off so hopefully will get it all sorted tomorrow and then setup Friday all ready. Then all I have to do is hope the famous Sydney thunderstorms don't hit as forecast Friday night. Fingers crossed.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
My projects for this year:

Cemetary fence: done and up

Fog Chiller: completed and tested

Pumpkinrot style scarecrow: Completed and in position

Two columns (for JOL display): Done, however I cheated and bought two casted concrete columns from local shop, but got a great deal!

Graveyard lighting: purchased and mostly in place, a few tweaks the day of is all that remains.

Toe pincher coffin: 85% completed, will finish up tonight and then have to install the pnuematc, light and trigger on Thursday.

Corpse a latex half skeleton: 10% complete, inserted support wire into limbs and back....don't know if this will get done or not, leaning toward not.

Spider victim: 50% complete, meaning I have everything ready for final assembly scheduled for Thursday evening.

Webbing and web caster: this will all be put into place on halloween day.

All in all, pretty happy with where I am and if the half skeleton isn't finished I'll survive and just keep it going as a fall project. Next year will be easier as I am retiring from youth soccer coaching after our season wraps up, four years with a great bunch of local girls and parents (that also love my yard haunts). We will be hosting all of the "extended soccer family" at our home for a potluck halloween party on Friday. Everyone will be in costume and most are handing out their candy from our house so the ToT'ers will be getting plenty from this house!

·
Doomed to walk the earth
1,062 Posts
down to the wire for me too..
trash can truma 90% done
put out more toumbstones ( to hide the spotlights)
re do my spooky town
and decorate the inside of the house 30% done
and 2 days left..its gonna be tight,, alot of you have way more to do, but we all pull it off somehow don't we LOL

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes and no. I was able to do 8 out of 9 of my planned projects.
Of those 8, all but 3 are 100% done.
Those 3 are now in the final touch up stage and will be done by tomorrow.

Although I have to say, not all my things are ever 100% done. I always end up tweaking and improving them

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have you seen the weather here in the northeast? I had a lot of painting to do this week and it is taking way too long to dry. At this rate I will be putting the final touches up on the house as the TOTs are coming to the door.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,881 Posts
haHaHAHAHAHAHA *snort*

Um, no.
:rolleyes:

I've had wind damage to repair, scrapped the idea of having a "flying" crank ghost (she's just going to be hanging in the crypt) and there are lots of little things that are just going to have to wait until next year.

:(

Don't get me wrong - my setup is going to look lots better than last year, but there was sooooo much that I had to scrap/put up unfinished.

I figure that no one but me and my hubby know what isn't complete, so it's not going to matter to the TOT or our party goers. (thank heavens!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Checklist for The Pirates Of Evergreen 2008:

...in no particular order...

Haunted Pier/Dock - Finished.

Fog Chiller - Completed and tested

Wrap front of house in tattered fabrics, netting, etc. - Need to add netting, will be finished today (Thursday)

Electrical - 80% finished. Just need to run some power cords and power strips to certain areas around yard.

Lighting (Overall) - Grid constructed and hung. FX projectors hung. Ground lighting still needs to be done, gels and focusing will be done by end of Thursday night.

The Cursed Treasure - Will place today (Thursday). All elements constructed and wired

The Captain - Need to construct a base/stand for the wheel, but other elements finished. Will finish today (Thursday)

Party Area - All elements finished, just need to place. Likely do it Friday during the day

Additional Suspended Elements (lanterns, signs, skeletons, etc.) - Simple matter of hanging things from tree and lines, still more to go

----------

Lots of unfinished items there, but trust me, it will all be completed in time (shooting for having it all up, lit and running by Thursday night so that we can get some really nice photos). We actually had one year where we were forced to do our entire set up in a single day (we're talking 12 large plastic bins of props, lighting, effects, etc.) and it looked pretty good. This year we're taking more time and feeling confident!

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
I just put the finishing touches on my POTC display yesterday. I have been working on it for four weeks and I am beat!

I am going to take it easy for the next two days............. and then get started on next year's project:D!!!!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow....that's such a close parallel it's a little freaky.

Done weeks ago? I wish. We found and bought this house in early August, closed on Sept 3, and I got my wife moved in around Sept 20. I was camping in one of the few rooms I was not splattering with paint or ripping out carpet left from an era devoid of good taste. the wife compromised--I didn't move a bunch of boxes in from the garage because I had to find where my Halloween totes got stashed so I could get to work. she didn't even roll her eyes when i unpacked tombstones and foam skulls before I unpacked our dishes. She understands my Halloween obsession even if she doesn't quite share it.
Wow! Ondeko! that wifes a keeper for sure!

two questions:

1. does she have any single sisters and do they like short lil fat dudes? hahaha
2. would said sisters be willing to move where they grow corn...lots and lots of corn? :p

Attain: I've had the same problems with paint and liquid nails drying slowly :(

Hey OzHaunter, I play warcraft with a bunch of Aussie peeps (some from Sydney and QLD), and some Kiwi's too! on a Oceanic server.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,747 Posts
My giant Spider and Boris miner are all ready to go.

I have the garage (mineshaft) 95% done.

Some outdoor lighting up, the mine entrance is up, and the house windows are boarded up.

My father is coming over tonight to help me finish detailing the mineshaft with cobwebs and such.

Off tomorrow and Friday. Need to put up my fence, outdoor lighting , and the cemetary. Should be in good shape. Wanted to have more outside done at this point, but with our weather so far this week, it is just not happening.

Fortunately it is clearing up over night and we are to have sun the next 2 days. :D

·
Curator of the random
652 Posts
Hey great username Diabolik, and you're from Pittsburgh no less, Hmmmm....

Anyway, We've had high winds, snow and rain for most of the week. It sooo nasty out that I'm not setting foot outside to do repairs until tomorrow. Its' supposed to dry up (and warm up) Fortunately the repairs will be minor as it is ALWAYS like this here in Erie. (more often than not)
So I've made it a habit to make sure that all my signs/props/lights are of a rugged nature and otherwise I give them a LOT of support (literally!)

The one possible exception are the two 'Real Estate ' signs that I bought early. By that I mean when I first saw them for sale I hadn't planned on buying them until Nov. 1st for next year. But the local grocery store discounted them earlier than I had anticipated, and I reached the decision to get them now before they ran out, rather than buy them later at a higher price. They were being sold for about $30 online, and at the store, they started @ $18. I was able to get both for $8 a piece.

I also got a 3 ft tin sign of Snoopy, who was dressed as Dracula, and sitting on a Huge pumpkin. I came w/ it's own flood/spotlight. These were being auctioned off at e*Bay for $75-100 a piece. The store started @$50 an I got one for just under $20!!!

As to projects, I only got about half of what I wanted done. Over the spring and summer months, I picked up 3 blowmolds. 2 Gargoyles and 1 ghost. They were all acquired from different locations, and sadly the two Gargoyles were of significantly different shades of grey. I may re-paint them for next year. Also the cord/sockets for one of the gargoyles and the ghost are totally non-functional. I went so far as to replace both the bulbs AND the fuses, but no joy.

Also I think that next year, I'll have to replace the mini-strobe that I have behind my Grim Reaper, as it appears to be on it's last legs. Not a major loss, since I fished it out of a dumpster of the local Spirtit store afte Halloween about 3 or 4 years ago.

I had planned to create a toe pincher coffin and a sarcophagus from 1/2" rigid foam insulation. Unfortunately, I waited too long to get started, and then there wasn't anything in the budget for it this year. My other big project, my 'Fog Dragon' will be making an appearance, though sans fog. I was able to get the headpiece, a Don Post Albino Dragon Oversized latex mask, but no money was available for the fog machine, or for the hose to have the fog come out the dragon's nostrils. Ditto for the spot/blacklight to highlight him, ever so slightly obscured my the bushes of pampas grass. Likewise I had to scrap plans for a fog chiller for the front yard graveyard.

Other than that....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts