Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Trying my hand at DIY props this year. Looking to go Ardurino over Pico as it seems to be less expensive. So, sorry if my question is too vague or open ended. Basically I'm doing an human interactive electric chair with electric sander, vibrating motors, flash cracker and routed fog machine. I would like to have it so that all these are activated when a lever is pulled(the trigger). Is there an input for a trigger on an Ardurino Uno that will activate all these things when pulled and then stop them when the lever is put back or do I have to add or use a different controller. Or, if someone has a better and hopefully simpler idea to activate/deactivate the props with a pull/push of the lever, that would be even better. Again, sorry for the newbie question. Thanks for all the ideas I've gotten here from you guys too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. I think I've figured out an easier way than trying to use code to control everthing. I'm thinking I can install an inline switch on an extension cord and use this switch as the chair activator. I really wanted something like an electrical box throw switch like they used to use, but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to settle with a button system instead. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Super easy to do with an Arduino. You can also easily sequence the events - switch on, start the sander, wait five seconds, start the vibrating motors, wait ten seconds, ...

The Arduino has over a dozen inputs (your switch, motion sensor, etc.) and/or outputs (lights, fog machine, etc.) If you are OK with the inline switch, fine. If you want more be specific and you can get the answers here!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Question on the fog machine then. I would like to end the sequence with fog coming out near the "victims" head, as if the head finished burning. Is there a way to trigger the fog machine using ardurino without the fog machine turning off and then back on again? I would think it would need to remain on and heated and then be triggered to activate the fog. Thanks again and sorry for the newbie stuff.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We were all newbies at one point!

You are correct about the fogger staying on so it's heated. How you trigger it will depend on the machine. How is it triggered now? Most have an external timer. I've never had occassion to tear apart a remote but there's usually only three wires. I'm guessing one is hot, one to the pump and I'm not sure on the third. You could jump the wires that go to the pump. Perhaps someone else has torn into a controller and can provide some insight.

Now - to the Arduino controlling your prop. Ther are several things to think about. Will the three switches be independent or does #1 have to be on before 2 or 3? Will the trigger be a momentary push that starts a timed routine or will the routine run as long as the switch(es) are closed? The Arduino can only handle a low power load so you will need relays. Do you know how to wire relays? Do you have the parts you need? Shipping time will be an issue with only a few weeks to go.

Let us know!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL! Guess I should have looked into Arduino a little bit sooner than now with Halloween just around the corner. Looks like I'll be sticking with a large knife switch instead to control all features at once. Thanks very much for the advice though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello bmacd88,

I am working on a project kinda like what your doing. It kinda got stuck trying to see how to do it. You just need a little code and not to hard. For the fog machine if you end up doing it. Or trying to see how to hookup stuff to the Arduino. Use frightprops doc's to give you a idea where to start.
frightprops dot com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=4&id=103&artlang=en

You will need a Arduino Uno.
need 3 reply switch.
Here is code for just using one
int in1 = 7;
void setup() {
pinMode(in1, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(in1, HIGH);
}
void loop() {
digitalWrite(in1, LOW);
delay(3000);
digitalWrite(in1, HIGH);
delay(3000);
}

You can use this guy tutorial
Control High Voltage Devices – Arduino Relay Tutorial
youtube dot com/watch?v=LLFQ8sBWc80&t=44s

In this Arduino Tutorial we will learn how to control high voltage devices using the Arduino board. You can watch the following video or read the written tutorial below.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts