Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a new archway I made for 2008. Sry I do not have the time to do a nice tutorial like Terra can do, but I will give you some images and the general idea.
It is a wood and metal construction. The first image is gluing up strips of pine in an arc. if you glue them that shape they will stay that shape and it is easy to do. I then ran them thru a planer to trim things up and started construction. The small scrolls are curtian rod ends from Odd-Lots. The large scroll I fabricated from 1/4 copper pipe. Finished pice soon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I will keep forum updated. I painted it black tonight and should get pics soon.
Until then here is a picture of the chandelier I made this month. I started with a plastic urn from Lowe's, cut off the bottom and installed a small 10' bathroom fan. This is for the silk flame. I then added skulls that I casted in hard foam and welded up 16 arms from 1/8 steel rod. They extend from a 2' steel band and end at PVC/hotmelt glue candles. All the candles are wired with a standard base and i will install flicker bulbs. Also the skulls have amber LED's and there is an amber down light in the center.
It was more work than I thought it was going to be (has over 90' of lamp cord" but it turned out good

·
Registered
994 Posts
Eerie... please don't ever leave us...

I mean... literally, don't sign off tonight... or tomorrow... never... never sign off Eerie...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, here is how things turned out. I bought nice cast iron finials from Ornamental Wrought Iron and Decorative Iron at DecorativeIron.com I could not use them directly because they are to heavy. So I made a mold and casted light weight plastic ones with products from smooth-on Smooth-On - Mold Making and Casting Materials for a World of Applications!
The bat in the center is 1/8 sheet PVC to hold up in the weather.
I painted it all with flat black and washed it with a little light brown. I also added a few vines for an aged look.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Ok, good job making my mouth dry from my mouth gaping open. Those arches are beautiful and just my style. Then, on the last picture I see your graveyard. Terrific, well done, bravo, hurrah...awesome.

How do you anchor the arches so the wind doesn't sway them?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx Terra, The columns have a thin layer of wood on the top and I just send a single screw down into it to anchor things.

Sereal, I make most of the props for our home haunt. And a few for a large Halloween party I help with.

Push, The seams don't bother me. I think they add to the aged look. But the did open a little more with the torch on that column project.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The graveyard fence is a simple construction that has worked for me for 3 years now. It is foam columns with 3/8 all thread rod running up at the ends. It is has a nut and washer at the top and bottom of the base plate to bolt it in place. The fence is made of pine with metal finials at the top. It is painted with a 2 part rust finish from Metal Masters. http://www.modernmastersinc.com/pdf/ME_RustFinishTDS2007.PDF
With the steel all thread supporting the fence it has a little give or flex when someone touches it, and it bounces back. People don't lean on it this way.

·
Registered
382 Posts
That paint is awesome! I have never seen it before. I checked and there are a couple stores around me that sell it. I wish I knew of that stuff before I would have used it on a lot of my props..hahaha. What are the dimensions of the wood you used for the fence? It looks like maybe 1x2s for the horizontal bars and maybe like 3/4" square bars for the vertical pieces? Are your fence sections 8 ft long? About how tall are the columns and fence? How far does that paint go? I'm wondering it a gallon of it would be too much?

Sorry for all the questions...your stuff is really just amazing..great attention to detail.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts