Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like a vulture flying over the desert, i scoured craigslist last night and came across an arcade cabinet someone was looking to get rid of. had it not been free, i might have moved on. but after thinking about it for a few, i thought it'd end up being pretty useful for a future project. i have a few ideas, but i'm also curious to see what y'all might have in mind. obviously it's gonna need a little tlc and some new parts to make it look like an active arcade again, but i'm thinking about rigging it up to have a hand/arm come flying out of the screen with some lighting in the pit of the cabinet to give it an extra dose of "oh s**t!!". gonna have to get on ebay and hunt down some controls and other cosmetics... it'll take a lot of work, but i figured being new to the forum that i'd drop this here to show what one of my new "little" projects is.

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
You Go BoogieMan! Way to get your idea across! ( you made me spit my ice tea laughing)

Yah Know..... It does look like a good Zoltar Booth !
Perhaps you can put in a static/ animated prop for the week....
But during Halloween night or your party night ( if you have one) put in a Live Actor to give out insulting , funny or scary fortunes (if you can rig it, so it will be easy to unwire if you animated it . )
Funny.....
and a good unusual find Karloff !

It will be interesting to see what other's ideas are !

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been seeing a lot of them on craigslist here on the Denver area as of late. Been wondering 'why' and been thinking like you that they might be useful, but I just don't have the room for one. Unless I had a project already to go that needed one, it would just be in the way.

I'm keeping an eye for a cheap or free wooden garden arbor for a project right now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Somewhere on here was a fortune teller that was reflected from a television monitor from below. That might be an option since animation is hard & expensive. Just take a video of an "actor", burn it to dvd and run it on the monitor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny.....
and a good unusual find Karloff !
it was pure dumb luck i stumbled upon it. i didn't know exactly what i was gonna do with it at first, but between my imagination and some of the suggestions others have posted...i might be close to picking one and starting on it. i'd like to get it done before i move across town in august. :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had lot's of cabs and toyed with the idea of putting a gun on it with a cheesy little target...Of course when they concentrate, take aim and pull the trigger it actually has a pop up in it that scares the crap out of em.....Depends on what you want I guess....ZR
i like it :cool: might have to go pick up the second one they were giving away :p

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Look into the MAME emulator..Many people, myself included, have restored or built from scratch arcade cabinets that house a PC running the M(ultiple) A(rcade) M(achine) E(mulator), which runs the actual ROMS from hundreds of real arcade machines FREE. Here's a great site with some inspiring examples:

Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ - Step up to real gaming excitement!

Click on the Cabinets selection on the menu to the left. Lots of info and resources. Happs controls sells every controller or button you could ever want.
ROMS can be found all over the internet mostly for free and I have quite a collection I might be willing to share.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look into the MAME emulator..Many people, myself included, have restored or built from scratch arcade cabinets that house a PC running the M(ultiple) A(rcade) M(achine) E(mulator), which runs the actual ROMS from hundreds of real arcade machines FREE. Here's a great site with some inspiring examples:

Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ - Step up to real gaming excitement!

Click on the Cabinets selection on the menu to the left. Lots of info and resources. Happs controls sells every controller or button you could ever want.
ROMS can be found all over the internet mostly for free and I have quite a collection I might be willing to share.

Good luck!

:eek: sweet! i've been looking for a site just like that today. thanks for the link :cool: i was gonna make this into a scare for halloween, but now i know i have to go pick up the second one so i can set it up as you described :D thanks!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yeah, I've built 2 MAME machines in the past...My latest cab has a pc-pcb...Plugs right in to the jamma harness and your done...Bought it off Ebay awhile back...It has 1000 games but you can't add any new games to it and it works with joysticks only....You can spend ALOT of hours figuring it all out but well worth it if you like playing games....ZR

·
1,562 Posts
I like using a PC in a cabinet..not only can you emulate arcade games, but Sega, Nintendo, N64, Playstation, etc..I'll post pics of my control panel to show how I hacked a keyboard circuit to all the buttons and joysticks. It looks more complicated than it really is.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yeah, I definitely had more fun with the MAME PC cab then my current set up...I had 2 joysticks,6 buttons per side, 2 starts, 1 coin, arcade blue transluscent ball in the middle and 2 act labs guns on the sides w/ regular game controllers for the sega,n64,etc....I really wish I never sold that set up...It was a lot of fun...My other regret is the fully working dedicated outrun cab...I have the game on Xbox but it's just not the same....My name on here actually came from the game Zombie Raid by Sammy...Favorite cab of all time....I actually have the sides from one and the marquee....It has awesome side art with a definate Halloween theme...ZR

·
1,562 Posts
You should flesh out a replica ZR cab using those sides and marquee..That would be awesome plus emulate it of course...or, turn it into a ZR themed MAME machine, even better!:D

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You should flesh out a replica ZR cab using those sides and marquee..That would be awesome plus emulate it of course...or, turn it into a ZR themed MAME machine, even better!:D

I actually had the whole cab when I got it...It was incredible!...It was gutted of the monitor,game pcb,only had the base piece of a gun,etc...It's really ironic how my luck is...Back around 2001 I was into arcades big time and found a stash of all kinds of ZR parts in Canada-3 pcbs (2 worked), 5 guns/parts, 2 marquees, couple manuals...I bought it all and picked up the last remaining gun part inventory at HAPP...I was able to figure out the wiring and converted an operation wolf cab... Unfortunately, I sold all that stuff when I got rid of all the cabs...I just found this ZR dedicated cab last year and still wanted it for the side art....Didn't have the space to have 2 cabs anymore and it was HUGE, so I dismantled the ZR cab and screwed the sides onto the cab I'm using now...If I ever sell the cab now, I can simply unscrew the sides and keep them....I still have 2 marquess and a manual but that's about it....ZR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts