Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends - We are taking my Voodoo on the Bayou yard haunt on a road trip this year and setting up shop at Lake Rudolph (Holiday World) Campground. Any tips from experienced campers/haunters who have done this before?

I have quite a few props to take (skeletons, lighting, sound effects). Will probably add a foam board swamp shack since it'll be lightweight and easy to set-up, take down. I've never been to this campground before so I have no idea how my site is even set-up ahead of time.

My goal is to keep the haunt contained to a small area, get the lighting focused on a few small displays, and nail the swampy sound effects. Would really like to do fog but am concerned with keeping it in my site and not fogging up the whole RV park. Also curious if I should bother covering up my camper or just set up the displays around it?

Looking for any and all advice!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It pretty much sounds like a typical haunt since you are trying to keep it limited to a defined area. I would treat it like a giant back yard. You might want to check out the posts made by Scary Papa. He runs a trail haunt which might interest you. Plus, he is always into something. Just do a search for him and read his posts for the last couple of years. I promise that you will cull a lot of new tricks and tips.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's a campground with a lot of people then I would definitely recommend fencing your stuff in. I camp every year at our local place that has a great Halloween weekend in September, which draws in a lot of people(kids especially). Rather unfortunately though people who come by to look at it at night have a habit of stepping on some of our smaller decorations(one of my skeleton mice broke in half T~T). If you dont have fencing already and aren't opposed to making it I would suggest some PVC pipe and fake chain, it makes for realistic and cool look.

As for the fog concern I would probably ask park workers about it. Odds are they wont mind, seeing as how it's for a Halloween theme. I would also ask your neighboring campers just to be on the safe side. We've never had any issue with it but then again we also pick a site on the route of the haunted hayride.

And I wouldn't worry about the camper/rv getting in the way. You could just leave the lights in it off, and most people wont be able to see it at night. During the day it's not a big deal.

At any rate it sounds like a blast, you should totally post some pictures when it's finished!

Here's an example of how we do it when we go.
Apologies from the quality of the photo, it's a few years old since I haven't saved any pictures off my camera for the past few years. At any rate that's how we usually set it up, we make a lane for the kids who trick or treat. Then the sides are fenced off as well. Hope this helped you out!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts