Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am scrambling to throw out as many ideas that i have for 09' to you guys since its only going to be about another month till construction begins for me.

Another idea i had was to add real flames to my front yard to add a creepy lighting atmosphere. I looked into the fake flames but what i hate about them is that they are all rather expensive and all need power to light them. I am not huge on electricity and the outdoors. So i like to stick to static props and flood lights. I thought about Tiki Torches and those aren't a bad idea to get a creepy sort of look to everything, but i don't like the look of a tiki torch because i think it looks more like a BBQ than a haunt. If i wanted to go bigger than a tiki torch but use the same sort of concept would anyone have any ideas on what i could use/build?

I also love the idea of a pumpkin head made of metal on fire but have no idea how to make something like that. But that more than likely won't happen.

But yeah does anyone have any ideas on how i can incorparate real flames into a yard haunt?

·
Registered
152 Posts
This may help

Hey Nick,

I found this link on here that may help with your Tiki Torch idea: http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutor...ing-skull-torches-out-basic-tiki-torch-2.html

The only thing i would warn you about is if you are doing a walk through garage type haunt... you might want to stay away from flames, as a crispy ToT would probably lead to some sort of neighborhood argument or lawsuit as the least :) With that said though, if your just doing a front yard display I think the lighted torch would give great ambiance to it all.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just decorate the front yard and i wouldn't put this anywhere near where the TOTs walk.

Thanks lonerogue2!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've used tiki torches in my cannibal camp scene, and it works pretty effectively. I think it's all about context. I used to put them all around my display for ambient lighting, but one year a TOT wearing a pointed princess hat with a tassel on the end was backing away from me (I was wearing a devil costume) with the tip of her hat headed right toward the flame. I had to figure out how to keep approaching her without scaring her and stop her from setting her costume on fire. Not a good situation. Needless to say I've kept any tiki torches well within my fenced area since, and have switched to spotlights for most areas.

I've always wanted to do propane fire balls. The kind that flare up intermittently and rise as a flaming ball as they burn. I'm pretty sure I could accomplish this with the proper plumbing ,valves, and relays, but it's extremely dangerous and I'm not willing to blow my self up with trial and error. I used flash pots in the 90's, but my Dad suffered a severe burn in an accident with them, so I don't recommend those.

I still think that propane is the best bet for quality fire that can easily be controlled.

-dgm

·
Registered
598 Posts
I used tiki torches once, but didn't have the time to alter the look, so I wasn't too impressed with the 'summery' look of them. Past few years I've used all my old dinner candle pieces to line the driveway in various glass jars, however that's only because I'm outside keeping an eye on them (too many stray dry leaves blowing around though). I love the look of real flames, but they need constant attention, and I like to have my yard covered in brightly coloured leaves.

I have done autumn bonfires before, just for one last outdoor party, and used those packages of coloured powder that turns the flames to blue/green- if you wanted to go bigger, maybe do something like that in your haunt (well away from props & costumes) and serve up treats like marshmallows and cider for parents and kids?
I've always thought of doing a big witches' cauldron scene for a haunt- saw exactly what I wanted for a real cauldron out at a maple sugarbush a few years ago, though I have no idea where I'd get one!
Good luck!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I'm not sure what a tiki torch is, but I have used the bamboo type garden torches for a few years. There's nothing like some real flames for a creepy ambience, and safe enough if sensibly sited of course.

Last year, Madame Samedi decided they had seen better days and got me some stainless steel ones.
I don't like them as much...look too "barbeque-esque" like Nick said, so I'm thinking of ways to dress 'em up a bit this year.... Any suggestions gratefully received.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hot glue Moss too them to give them a sort of old look is one way.

Dadgonemad,

I too wanted to do the fireballs with propane but i too worry about blowing myself up or getting arrested.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I use tiki torches...but not where the kids can get to them....although I did have a kid run through my yard a couple years ago that I read the riot act too...

Parents please teach your kids to use sidewalks..

anyway...I lay out a pentacle in the yard and have ten tiki's for the points of the star and where the lines intersect for the inner pentagram. I then put one of them "Heads on a stake" in the middle...tis a cool effect when dark. I run lights along the ground to accentuate the pentacle

there are some pics, although not great ones of it in my album

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i was looking around online adn home depot sells these tiki torches that supposedly have a far bigger flame that your regular tiki torch but at $40 a pop it ain't happening.

I did however find a pack of 16 tiki torches on ebay that are only 2' tall. I was thinking about getting them and painting them black and adding moss to them.

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
i was thinking of doing some sort of fire ball machine shooting up into the air....but when it came to safety i decided to scrap the idea...

Ruggerz

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
The easiest route may be the modified tiki torch with foam or plastic skulls. The link provided by lonerogue2 offers a good tutorial. Just be sure to keep them out of the reach of the TOTs.

Here's my version using a pair of $2 tiki torches and foam jawless skulls.

I am also thinking of making some fire bowl columns similar to the ones offered at Costco, but at this height, I'm not sure real fire would be safe.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use pumpkin head tiki torches for my yard haunt.

Fright catalog sells them. tiki torches

They're expensive, but they look awesome.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
OK...Tiki torch = Garden torch. :) Who was it said we were "2 nations divided by a common language"?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the dress-up tips for the stainless steel ones guys. I was thinking of painting them with black hammerite and maybe "rusting" them up a bit, but still the lines look to clean and modern looking. I like the idea of hot gluing moss to them though..thanks Nick.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've use tiki torches for years and they work great. Keep in mind they put out very little light for trail walking so I had to add some blue spotlights to see the ground. Check out my album pics in my profile. Tiki's with fog are very creepy. Again they are more for effect and add very little light. I saw some cool new ones at K-mart that have the creepy bambo frowning Tiki faces on them.I used about 12 5' tall tiki's last year on our backyard trail as seen in my pics.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi,

We use tikki torches every summer for our group campout. They are the tan bamboo types and look great. They aren't plastic or summery. They also give off a great flame with black smoke.
I think they would go great for that cannibal scene mentioned earlier. As also mentioned, put them well away from the kids, stick them deep into the ground, and have a hose and/or fire extinguisher handy. Also keep in mind the wind and any dry leaves or trees. We have too many of the latter to use fire. I hate the look of the cheapo fake flames and can see why you would want to go real.
A buddy who was into fountains tried to make a fire and water one but, it was a no-go. He wanted the water to shoot out over a ring of fire. He just couldn't get it to go.
If you were into giants you could do a bar-que pit with the giants roasting deformed human babies over it. lol

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
I agree with Bozz about the light output, not enough. But they are great to add the spooky look. You can see them from the end of the block and they are almost like siren songs. You can make the flame bigger buy pulling out the wick a little more. I dressed up mine with raffia and spray paint (to make them look older): Here's a pic but they are not lit yet. I only light them on Halloween.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nice pic Terra, love your entrance and sign, very nice.Your neighborhood looks like ours, ours is only about five years old. I ran my Tikis up my driveway like yours too and it does draw attention from a distance.Do you use your backyard too.....looks like you have the room to expand if need be.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts