Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying with the idea of getting a security camera or two for my front yard. I want to put out some decorations a little earlier this year, including a countdown sign, but I'm afraid somebody might try and steal something or tamper with stuff. I travel for a living so Im gone for days at a time. I know cameras don't nevessarily deter theft or vandalism too much but I can at least catch them on camera if somebody does try and steal or vandalize something. There are so many cameras online to choose from, I'd rather hear from you guys/gals and see if anyone uses cameras and get some reviews or recomendations as to what to get and what to stay away from. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
814 Posts
TEXMASTER: do you mind if I ask what kind of cameras you have and where you got them? I just put out a new thread that I'm looking to buy some but not sure exactly what to get or where to get them. I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions, thanks!
Not a problem! They are expensive though :(

I have 8 cameras in total. The two in the front are high dollar 250 bucks each.

The other 6 are 125 a piece.

The DVR was about 600 smackers. It does have internet access though and can be seen on my big tv.

Places to shop online are Coastal Video Security and Beach Audio

Please ask any questions you might have. Whatever you go with, make sure you get Wired cameras.

I do NOT recommend wireless whatsoever.

Remember, wireless runs on 2.4ghz for the most part. Now think about wireless internet, wireless phones, etc. Many of them also run at 2.4ghz. You will get interference :(

And remember, the lines or resolution is extremely important! You want at least 480 lines. Anything less you can't really see faces and then what would be the point right? The two bigger cameras in the front are 550 lines each

And dont forget infrared so you can see at night!

The link for the 6 cameras is here:

CAM74CIR vandalproof, night vision camera

The DVR: (looks like they have gone up too :( )

Alcatraz ALD-810U 8 Channel Triplex DVR With VGA, DVD Burner, USB Port, JPEG2000

And the two high end ones for the front:

Clover Hdc-560 : Wired Cameras / Surveillance Systems / Video

Here is a picture of all my cameras

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a problem! They are expensive though :(

I have 8 cameras in total. The two in the front are high dollar 250 bucks each.

The other 6 are 125 a piece.

The DVR was about 600 smackers. It does have internet access though and can be seen on my big tv.

Places to shop online are Coastal Video Security and Beach Audio

Please ask any questions you might have. Whatever you go with, make sure you get Wired cameras.

I do NOT recommend wireless whatsoever.

Remember, wireless runs on 2.4ghz for the most part. Now think about wireless internet, wireless phones, etc. Many of them also run at 2.4ghz. You will get interference :(

And remember, the lines or resolution is extremely important! You want at least 480 lines. Anything less you can't really see faces and then what would be the point right? The two bigger cameras in the front are 550 lines each

And dont forget infrared so you can see at night!

The link for the 6 cameras is here:

CAM74CIR vandalproof, night vision camera

The DVR: (looks like they have gone up too :( )

Alcatraz ALD-810U 8 Channel Triplex DVR With VGA, DVD Burner, USB Port, JPEG2000

And the two high end ones for the front:

Clover Hdc-560 : Wired Cameras / Surveillance Systems / Video

Here is a picture of all my cameras

Wow, that is some good stuff. And you're right, Expensive too! :eek: Kinda hard to justify spending that kind of cash for mostly just Halloween time :-( But thanks for the other info and the links! Appreciate it!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Wow, that is some good stuff. And you're right, Expensive too! :eek: Kinda hard to justify spending that kind of cash for mostly just Halloween time :-( But thanks for the other info and the links! Appreciate it!
If its only for halloween, you should be able to get away with the bare necessities.

An old computer, a DVR card one or two cameras. If you have the old computer, you might be able to get away with everything for under 400.

Here is the card

Digital Peripheral Solutions QSPDVR04

1 - 5 of 5 Posts