Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm considering getting a Firefly controller to simulate lightning for my graveyard this year. I'm curious if anyone here has some feedback on how well it works etc. If you're using a different controller, I'd be curious to hear about it.

Also, if you're using one of these, how are you securing it? These simulators aren't cheap and I'm curious if you're keeping it inside and running the power cords out a window, etc. I can't imagine putting it in a box behind a bush considering they cost a few hundred. I suppose I could put it in a locked box and secure that to the water meter outside. That still seems like a risk though. I'd have to buy a steel box.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have one. Works a treat. Use it to sync my cannon explosions to my hi-Rez designs pirate element dvd. I think they work well. Some of the cheaper models might work for your purpose but I think the quality is what attracted me to the firefly. I have an older model.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I also use a firefly unit. I keep the unit in my garage and run the power cords out to the yard. I think it works well and would recommend it. I have not used the cheaper units. For the lights, I use camera flash bulbs. They work well and are less expensive than other options. You also need a good sound source to sell the effect. You can use used stereo receivers and speakers from Craigslist to get good sound for a decent cost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought their top of the line model and I use it for a indoor haunt, it adds a lot of atmosphere and is very realistic. I use mine with hopedepot halogen work lights and they work fine, eventually i want to buy their LED lights but they are expensive. Buy one you wont regret it!

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! Great feedback.

I'd love to put this unit in the garage, and I have room for it there. The part I'm uneasy about is that the cords would have to cross the front walkway in order to reach lights that would be at the front of the yard. I suppose I could put an archway that goes over the front walk, and simply run it over that. I'll need to find long black extension cords though. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've used the Perfect Storm box for the last couple years. Very basic but works well. Have to modify the sound input with a 3.5mm jack though. Good if you're on a budget

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've always used the generic Lightning FX box that was sold at Tuesday Morning about 7 years ago for $8 and it's always worked for me. Spirit did their own version of it a few years back and charged around $30 if I remember correctly. Here's a couple pictures of the different versions, they did one for Halloween and one for Christmas, (they did the exact same thing). TNLFX__BOX.jpg XMASTREEFX_BOX.jpg

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After some careful consideration I decided to spring for the new digital 301 unit. I hope it works how I'm thinking it will. I plan to set it up in the garage (Great idea foolishmortal). I'll run a couple of black power cords from the unit out of the garage and over the Halloween archway I have. I wasn't planning to set up the archway, but think it's a good way to get past the front walk. From that point I'll use some standard green extension cords I have and run those to the lights. I'm planning to use some outdoor LED lights I have. I'll test to make sure they respond well enough, but they're dimmable so I expect them to work.

So, I've been thinking about also using a fogger for some low-lying fog, but as I think about it... how often is their fog during a thunderstorm. I think that answer is almost never. Guess that doesn't make sense anymore.

·
Registered
49 Posts
After some careful consideration I decided to spring for the new digital 301 unit. I hope it works how I'm thinking it will. I plan to set it up in the garage (Great idea foolishmortal). I'll run a couple of black power cords from the unit out of the garage and over the Halloween archway I have. I wasn't planning to set up the archway, but think it's a good way to get past the front walk. From that point I'll use some standard green extension cords I have and run those to the lights. I'm planning to use some outdoor LED lights I have. I'll test to make sure they respond well enough, but they're dimmable so I expect them to work.

So, I've been thinking about also using a fogger for some low-lying fog, but as I think about it... how often is their fog during a thunderstorm. I think that answer is almost never. Guess that doesn't make sense anymore.
I have the same unit and it works great, you should love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts