1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this isn't the right place to post this, but here goes:

Here's what I've got available for trade:

The Good: He's charming, easy on the eyes, good sense of humor, holds
couch down nicely, house broken and well-maintained.
The Bad: Won't help me build any props, rolls eyes when Halloween
is mentioned, stingy with tools, will not hold still while trying to
put costume on him and sometimes "hides" during Halloween
parties.

Somebody help me before it gets ugly!

I will trade him for anyone (man or woman or even a child) who is Halloween crazy, has tools and skills, who will help me build props! I'm not even talking about complicated motorized props, I'm talking everyday props... you know, like tombstones and stuff. Let me know what ya got!

I know I'm not the only person on this forum whose significant other lacks a litle 10/31 enthusiasm. (pages shuffling) "where is that number for the
Rent-A-Man service?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Haha, I'll be of no help. Mine is the same way. I think I have talked him into helping with some tombstones but he thinks I'm nuts & makes comments like "You've got 5 months."

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ha! I get the same thing, although as years have gone by - my parents and everyone else have come to expect it.

I suggest you bring them to this forum and say "SEE" there is PLENTY of us that are here..thinking about Halloween all year round. I have even considered doing a Halloween xmas tree! But also, its almost july...if you want your decorations ready for early october, you have 3 months not 5.

Even show them ltdcommodities, they already have their harvest 2009 catalog out (granted there is only a few Halloween items but still). There are people out there that view Halloween not equal to Christmas, well it is! I think if something makes you happy, GO FOR IT! To me, Halloween isn't just a month a year or one day a year (and I am sure you all agree), I love Charmed, Buffy, Nightmare Before Xmas, Halloween (the movie), Elvira, Dead Like Me, Ghost Whisperer - these are all things "halloween" related even when its NOT even close to October yet. You should tell your significant others that in Salem, MA its Halloween all year round for them. It gets SO busy in the fall season that Salem literally closes streets for the whole month of Oct because of Halloween and the tourists.

I also think if your significant other is into say Nascar, or Football, or other things that are usually seasonal...they would like to watch it or do it outside of the season...or talk about it outside of the season. Basically reverse the tables for them, "well you like this (insert like here) - and I don't like it that much but I support your like for it." Or even show them Halloweenmovies.com, the john carpenter movie (and ones after it), there is a all year round message board where people talk non stop about the Halloween movie series...even YEARS after they came out and even when its NOT around October or anywhere near it. Want more? Also tell them about rfrpodcast.com - Its an all year round, WEEKLY Halloween/Horror postcast called Rotting Flesh Radio. Tell them there is also Halloween conventions in JULY, HauntCon, Midwestern Haunters Convention etc. These conventions bring thousands of people AND real businesses that sell props, masks, makeup, fog machines, props that cost thousands of dollars for big haunted houses.

·
Registered
210 Posts
BooBerrie, I so feel your pain on this one. My husband doesn't understand, and doesn't share my interest in it at all. He's never tried to make me stop doing Halloween stuff or anything like that, and thinks my creativity is cool, but he is 100% NO HELP either. It is ALL ME. No helpers of any kind. And yes, Bobzilla, it is kinda sad. :/

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,686 Posts
Yikes!

I guess I'm lucky as my hubband is into Halloween - he's a big help and loves the stuff I come up with. :cool:

I couldn't imagine trying to do all of this with a spouse that thought it was annoying or didn't want to help... :(

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Well mine will help out for whatever I need but now he is working on his own little (non-halloween)projects and keeps bugging ME to help him and taking my work table...ya just can't win with men ...LOL!

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
Don't get me wrong, mine enjoys Halloween and likes the stuff I do. In fact he LOVES to take credit for it when I get compliments from the neightbors!
But if he had his way, I'd start thinking about Halloween around October 1st.
Yeah, that aint happenin!

C

·
0 Posts
wish I could help you :( If mine was able to help ya, I'd gladly trade you if you threw in your Mustang! Cathy

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I can't help you either but sure did enjoy reading your request haha
Made me laugh first this morning while having my coffee :)
I have one who's nuts about halloween and prop building. If it makes you feel any better there are disadvantages to having one of those as well.

Things in the house not getting done because of his prop obsession.
Things outside not getting done because of his prop obsession.
Not wanting to socialize or go out because he's too busy with a prop.
Dragging dirt into the house from his workshop.
Getting funny looks from friends and family when asking if he can hack their dead appliances.
And the list goes on and on and on :)

MsM

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds a lot like my wife, although she is into the costume aspect of it all.
But I got my boys and I have done all I can to make sure they both have the proper attitude regarding Halloween.

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adam- I have shown him the forum, he's seen my latest LTD catalog, and (fortunately) for me, he's not into sports, not into Nascar. This sounds weird, but he's not into ANYTHING. He will be the first to tell you that he only wants to spend his time with me (which makes me the luckiest girl in the world), but usually I have to resort to trading out "favors" in order to get my props built. (Don't get mad Larry) I'm talking like "if you rub my feet I'll help you carve your styro pumpkin" kind of thing.

Cathy - sadly, we had to sell the Mustang. It was a kind of like a super model - it was a real head turner, but it had some issues.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
BooBerrie, you made me laught out loud!!

Fortunately, although my husband's Halloween enthusiasm is nowhere near the level of mine, he is a willing helper, and is extremely tolerant of all of the money spent and time put in. He is the major builder (since I have no skills in that area whatsoever :eek: ), and is becoming more of a costume enthusiast every year. He is the chief "hauler", getting out and putting away all the boxes of stuff, and he does it all to make me happy.

So, BooBerrie, I am also the luckiest girl in the world!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oh brother, I must have his twin. When I show him my plans. He says " your not building that" Then when I do, he shows it to his friends like he did it. It's strange when he need help holding a board/wire/flashlight. I'm there. When I ask him if I should nail or screw something he says "I don't know. I don't know what you are trying to do"? This is after me talking about if for a month and drawing pictures of it in every angle. But I do have to say that after 28 years of marriage he has stopped rolling his eyes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine is great!

I guess I am lucky too. My husband is all into halloween. I do the research and give him the ideas/inspiration and he dives right into working. He will work for months creating and building things. He gets the party set up, let's the 50 kids arrive and then he goes to the house to watch the house and do bathroom patrol. He's great! I wouldn't trade him for anything :)

Kaye

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
I will jump in here and say that I would just like to rent a hubby for 4 months. I will feed and shelter you thats all. You provide the tools and know how. I might even through in a a halloween t-shirt or two..

My hubby is the same, doesn't care for any of it, says that he has way to much other stuff to do, then to slave over styrofoam..

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
I am married to a Golden Boy with two Halloween faces. ( hey! might be a new horror costume?)
Anyway. He is "Golden" as far as husbands go. Wouldn't trade or swap him for the world.
But he is not without faults and for things to complain about. LOL !
He has come over to the dark side and does like Halloween and building props.
He is a member, here , and on other forums. So, I am way ahead of some of you ladies.
He even makes posts and threads and sends ME links. He indulges my halloween spending as do I, his. We be in luv.....lol !
However. He laspes into long periods of playing his stupid video game and cartoon watching.
( hey ! He does work hard everyday and is a fantastic husband & father...so I am not really complaining about his boyish obsessions.)
But he Looks, at me stupidly, when I talk about one of my projects and shrugs his shoulders from time to time. ( I know he is not listening to a word I say).
But he "adores and compliments" my projects and ideas when I am FINISHED.
Although he sometimes questions why I did something such and such way cause it would have been better or easier another way. HUM Where was he when I was explaining what I was doing?????? Roll eyes.
He doesn't help "make room" in the garage for props to be stored ( I have the sole duty of rearranging the garage- but not allowed to throw anything out....very frustrating).
His eyes glaze over and you can tell he believes the evil spirits will attack him if he sets foot
into the garage to clean it. He goes to the video game, couch for cartoons, or trys to seduce me to Home Depot or lunch. Anything not to help clean the garage.
He does not like anything to be thrown out, given away, etc. Including empty boxes.
It is a PITA. Open our garage and we definately qualify for inside landfill.

When he does get in the mood and creativity strikes him ( Scooby Doo inspiration ?) He is all a** and elbows on his projects and needs the audience of appreciation and my undivided attention to his "details". He also decides to build something that requires the
PURCHASE of a major tool. LOL. Hum. I nickel and dime and thrift store us into debt, and
he is like Disney purchasing department when it comes time for his supply list. LOL !
But it is my job to stowe the coffin or fence or whatever large project it is, when finished.

We both have very different visions of our haunt set up. Yet when we discuss the haunt set up....we agree. HUM. Something is lost in visual translation.
We agreed to the blue lights (I suggested.) ....and somehow its green and red.????

Sometimes I wish he was just involved at set up time and was my slave.....lol.
( I wonder if he thinks the same.?)

So, I am in the best and worse of both world.
My husband is great and I won't ever trade him. But I would like for us to be on the same pace and page one day. LOL !

okay honey HAMM...your turn .....( if you read this. LOL) You better not trade me in or swap me or reply to GothicPrincess rental request !!!!!!
I will use your new router tool on you !!!!! and forbid you to buy the whole house fan you want.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
O.k Boo..I would be more than happy to share tools and help you make props.

However, there's a downside.
I'm not particularly easy on the eyes, the nose or any of the other senses for that matter. I have a dark and twisted sense of humour that often causes offense. I make the couch look untidy and I'm expensive to feed.
I'm often "invited to leave" halloween parties after getting drunk and behaving inappropriately, and as for housetrained...well, the less said the better.

If you're still interested in a swap, I'll send you Mrs Samedi's e mail address.
I don't think she'd complain too much...
:D:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts