Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, for those of you who don't know what a Real Doll is, it's a high-end sex toy... the 2000s version of the old party gag inflatable doll. I'm wanting to know if anyone has actually seen one of these in real life?

Here's my dilemma. I have a Creature From The Black Lagoon, and I want to recreate this famous shot...

The problem is no one makes a mannequin of a woman in this pose, and the only way to make one is to take a mannequin, cut it up, reassemble it, do a lot of sculpting, filling, and shaping, and then paint it so it looks halfway realistic. I've seen a couple of guys try this, and the Adams figure looks okay but you can tell it's a chopped up mannequin.

So I saw these ads for Real Dolls on DHGate, and they are supposed to be made of silicone and fully poseable... which I guess is a must for their intended purpose. If they really are that poseable, one of these might be the perfect solution to my problem. So I was wondering if anyone, or a "friend" might have seen one of these and can tell me if they are poseable and look lifelike when posed or look like a huge Gumby. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
The only Real Doll I saw in person was at the Sex museum in NYC. Other than that, I've watched a couple documentaries that involved them, and from what I could tell they are pretty posable, but not easily so, and there's always something kind of stiff looking about them.

I think your biggest concern if you wanted to use one would be the fact they seem VERY heavy.They are, after all, supposed to be like real people to some extent. It looks like most people, even grown men, have trouble lifting them, so mounting it to be held by another prop could be a big problem. I think that's why when you do see Real Dolls being used for modeling/advertising, they're sitting in chairs :eek:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They sell them on dhgate.com, which is like a Chinese version of ebay, for about the same price as a mannequin, so they aren't too expensive.

Weight is something I was worried about as they are supposed to be made of silicone and that's heavier than fiberglass, but I can reinforce the arms as needed to hold up to 150 lbs or so.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
I've only seen them on TV & in movies & it seems that the weight is a big issue. They're basically dead weight so they'd be hard to move around &/or pose by yourself. The price might be an issue too, they're not cheap. Even the ones that were mentioned that are on that dhgate site are close o $200 & that's not including shipping.

There's also upkeep on it too & from what I've just read they require a lot of it not to mention you'll need a place to store him/her/it since you can't just take him/her/it all apart & stick him/her/it in a Rubbermaid container.

From a doll site:
Storage:
Boy Toy dolls can safely be stored on any smooth, padded surface, either sitting or lying down. As an example, you can store your doll on a common chair, provided the surface of the chair is not textured, or you can put a smooth pillow on the chair if it has a textured surface. Your doll can also be stored on a bed in a reclined position. The idea is not to store the doll on anything that has a rough surface, as the texture of the surface could transfer to the doll over time. You can also hang your doll by the neck with the provided neck bolt.

Cleaning:
The body of the doll can be cleaned with a mild soap and warm water as needed. You can safely submerge your doll in a bathtub for short periods if desired. Powder your doll with talc or baby powder to eliminate stickiness after drying.
And if you get the "inserts" you need to clean them separately & make sure they're dry before putting them back. And NECK BOLT?!?! WTF?!

I don't know if I'd want one of those in the house either, they're even creepier looking than clowns. It's that whole uncanny valley thing with them for me. Plus they're anatomically correct so you'd have to be careful in dressing them too & keeping them away from...um...kids...yeah....thekids.:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
112 Posts
They sell them on dhgate.com, which is like a Chinese version of ebay, for about the same price as a mannequin, so they aren't too expensive.

Weight is something I was worried about as they are supposed to be made of silicone and that's heavier than fiberglass, but I can reinforce the arms as needed to hold up to 150 lbs or so.
I'd make sure you see pictures of what they are actually going to send you. A lot of those people on there just take pictures from the internet and post them to their ads and sell something really cheap and hardly anything like pictured. I've always thought they do it on purpose with those type of things, how many people are going to jump through hoops to complain and report getting ripped off on their pose-able sex doll?

I'm saying this as someone who deals with Chinese sales people very frequently, as my business is all outsourced manufacturing. I originally started by purchasing and dealing with people through DHgate.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great info guys! For my purposes, the doll will be mounted with the Creature and stay there, so I'm not worried about his scale pattern becoming embedded into the skin or moving it around. My big concern was with the knees and elbows. Do they look like knees and elbows when they are bent, or do they look like an unrealistic smooth curve? That's the biggest problem I've seen with the chopped up mannequins.

Price wise, $200 is about what I have to pay for a good mannequin. They're usually between $150 and $200 once shipping is factored in, so the price is right where I need it to be.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Most of the dolls on DH Gate are a scam. You will not get something that normally costs several thousand dollars for 200. What they do is take your money and send you a 20.00 inflatable that vaguely looks human. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Your best bet would be to get a volunteer or hire a model and do a lifecast. Your next option would be to make a mold off a mannequin then make your own posable body from that. Use latex and expanding foam. Or if you can get a volunteer you could make a tape dummy off of her. Make sure she is wearing tight fitting clothes, and light colored tape white would work best. Put some tan or flesh colored nylons on the exposed portions of the body. If you can find cloth tape, you could coat it with latex too.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Check with Lauriebeast, the absolute master (mistress?) of realistic sculpting arts. She may have advice on how to hack a mannequin to achieve a realistic shape/pose.

·
Registered
329 Posts
All of the soft posable mannequins I have seen look like stuffed clothes. They are fine if you put loose clothing on them, and don't have the arms or legs exposed. You could get the same look from rolling tubes of cardboard. They also would be heavy. Although I suppose you could get a pair of Mechanic's coveralls and fill them with balloons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts