Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
My lifesized demon had a few spots, so I made latex patches that I let cure, applied with more latex & clothespinned on until dry. So far, so good.
I will be using cr's technique in the future, especially if the silicone holds a bond that good~way cheaper too!

·
Registered
706 Posts
We patched some last year, and the patched spots have held up fairly well. The problem is, patches are just bandaids. Once that latex starts to harden, dry, and crack it will continue to do so. So there's going to be continual new damage. Perhaps an all-over coat of the silicone sealant will help ward some of that off?

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Okay, dumb question here....
so, when I unloaded 'Halloween' from the storage sheds this year, I found out that almost all of my latex props
that were in bins at the TOP of the stacks in storage, were basically ruined: 7 out of 9 zombie babies, 2 big boa constrictors,
a giant centipede, a few heads & masks(cracked, dried out, hard- or all three) All the other latex props lower in the stack didn't suffer the same fate, thankfully.
At this point, since my haunt is this coming Sat, I gave emergency medical aid with duct tape.
You are saying that I can completely cover, with clear silicone sealant, the entire prop? Am I going to have to
repaint, or is the sealant applied VERY thin?

·
Registered
265 Posts
No, you can cover the entire prop with this silicone and you will not have to repaint. Be aware that it will go on WHITE, but will dry and cure over a few days (I left mine outside in the heat, but out of direct sunlight). Once totally dry, it will be crystal clear (and shiny)...doesn't matter how thick or thin you cover the prop, but the thicker, the more protection, but takes longer to cure. If you store your props in the heat in containers, make sure your containers have "breather" holes in them. The reason yours cracked and dried out over the season was probably due to extreme heat building up in their storage bins. I keep mine in my static props in my attic (with plenty of exhaust ventiliation), but I don't store all of them in containers. Some I do, and those turned out just fine also after 8 years.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That's why I passed on a huge latex wolf at one point. I have some latex items that aren't even 5 years old and maybe been outside at halloween for a few days, slowly moldering away.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Like Hilda, I did not realize that latex deteriorates. I bought the Trick or Treat Studios Chiller mask this year. He is my Halloween muse, my Phantom (inspired by Disney Paris Phantom Manor). He kinda looks like he's a geeky school kid trying too hard to smile for school picture day. I think I might weep when he starts to fall apart.

I'll be storing the masks I bought this year in my master closet on shelves. Should I cover them with cloth?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts