Halloween Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the haunted bust from Skulltronix.
But I think its a little pricey.
I own the skulltronix skull, cause I think I lack the skill and mostly time to make such a thing. Outta my league.
but I was thinking the bust could be a life cast of myself. Monster makers sells a kit that includes video instructions. I would video tape myself, burn to dvd and project.
I know I have over simplified, but my point is it could be done.

I really like the effect when the face matches the bust as opposed to projecting on a different bust or wig headform.

Has anyone done this?

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
I haven't done it with a lifecast, but I have done it with a custom head form (Conjuring Madame Leota). I have no doubt that your idea will work. The challenge comes in finding the proper scale for the video face based on the projector lens and distance to the prop.

A couple of things I've noticed about the Skulltronix bust:
The nose appears to be a still frame over the whole loop to ensure that it always matches up.
The eyebrows, although they move, also appear to be locked in place.
The upper teeth do not remain in one place, suggesting that the actor (Mike Fox, presumably) had some freedom of movement (I'm not sure what the purpose of this is, and I personally think the effect is more convincing if the upper jaw remains stable).
The skeletal makeup on the "Halloween Song" routine appears to be digitally superimposed.

Do you have experience with video compositing? I think it will be a great asset to make your project the best it can be.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No experience w/video compositing.
I was thinking of using make up.

I dont expect if I did this it would be as good as skulltronix, it wont. but it could be fun.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
I really like the haunted bust from Skulltronix.
But I think its a little pricey.
I own the skulltronix skull, cause I think I lack the skill and mostly time to make such a thing. Outta my league.
but I was thinking the bust could be a life cast of myself. Monster makers sells a kit that includes video instructions. I would video tape myself, burn to dvd and project.
I know I have over simplified, but my point is it could be done.

I really like the effect when the face matches the bust as opposed to projecting on a different bust or wig headform.

Has anyone done this?
I begged BigscreamTV to do something like this on their forum.
They desperately need some ideas!

With a generic looking foam bust BSTV could then sell dvds with faces AND the foam bust for a cheaper alternative to SkullTronix.

I tried to record some of my own stuff, but it looked too fake. I also tried Reallusion's Crazytalk 5 program to animate a face for projection and that worked pretty well!, But it's the blank-faced bust that's hard to get right!

If you attempt the project; I would give Crazytalk a try, then sculpt a bust to match the face.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember the thread on BSTV's forum.
I recently e mailed them. they said it was too difficult to get good results.

I ordered a lifecasting dvd today.
after I get it, I will determine if I am going to move ahead with this project.
I figure it will be more accurate than sculpting.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after thoroughly examining all aspects of this project. From lifecasting, voice talent and production. There seems to be too many potential set backs and problems.
My best case senario was to fall short of what Nightfrights offers.

The more I thought about this from every stage. The more I appreciated what Night frights has done and the value of their Expertise .
I have decided to leave this type of prop in the hands of the professionals. I have decided to buy the ghost bust from Nightfrights.

I understand Mike Fox is working on some add on stuff that will only add to the investment.

I will put my time into more suitable projects. Thanks to propboy for the inspiration on the spilled guts Illusion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.