Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spirit Halloween sold these fortune teller Spirit Balls (produced by Gemmy) that were heads inside faux crystal balls back around 2007. They were so prevalent that I (foolishly) thought for sure they would be around in subsequent years. <sigh> Anyone know any other brand or seller of these or something similar that doesn't cost $100? Thanks! :eek:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've seen them at Spirit Halloween but they are expensive. I'm just making a crystal ball. It won't have the face inside or sound but it will cost me about $5.00. :)

You may be able to find a tutorial on the internet for a more sophisticated spirit ball. Good luck!

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Aside from a listing on Craigslist, a resale shop donation, a yard sale or maybe flea market, no. Spirit Halloween cleared these out over a few years after they were a featured item. Found a few set out for clearance when they first opened. Long gone but might be worth asking your local SH manager. My guy was good at locating a few past items for me. It's a long shot though. A few years back now Ross Dress for Less had a bunch of Gemmy Halloween props including Spirit Balls but I've never seen Gemmy since then there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have one and it has the fortune teller's head inside. I want to sell it as I don't use it anymore. Only problem is feasibility of packing it and shipping it. I have original box. If you are interested I'll send a picture.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My Spirit Ball finally broke. Bought it in 2007 and it died 2013. I think I got mine in a drug store (CVS, Walgreens, Longs, etc) in Northern California for $20. I see some on Ebay for over $75. Not sure why someone would spend that much on a used product, since they aren't built forever. It doesn't appear they can be taken apart either to fix them. Be careful buying these used.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
DJ John, while nothing last forever and many of the Gemmy and other manufacturer props aren't built as well as we would like them to be, the Spirit Ball heads can be hacked in some cases. The White Haired guy one pictured above has a remote mic and can be converted to add an mp3 player so that he says what you want him to off of the mp3. Not all Spirit Balls have this ability (mic in). The larger ones are pretty life-size so make good prop heads. The white haired guy is also the same head as Dr. Shivers, Gemmy's full size mad lab doc. You should look up Open Track Racer's thread from maybe 2010-2011 on his hack of the white haired guy spirit ball. He did a great tutorial on hacking it, which hubby and I followed and made into our own talking head. Open Track Racer also used his with is Dr. Shiver's lab haunt that year. Super pics of the lab.

I've seen the witch head one used for a prop head. The swamy and fortune teller ones for circus prop heads. The globes and stand make a great Madame Leota base to work with. My guess is that people are looking for them to remake into other props. And there are hacks and some repair tutorials out there so hope you didn't toss your broken one. If nothing else great for parts someone might need to fix theirs. The larger Spirit Balls are the most desirable ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts