Halloween Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Need some of these white plastic parts that SVI uses in allot of their props they attach to the metal rods that hook to moving parts of the mechanism. My Hugz the clown stopped lunging because 2 of these stripped out the threads on the inside and slipped off the rods. Anyone know what these parts are called and where i can get some?
Land vehicle Leg Bicycle fork String instrument Bicycle part

·
Registered
636 Posts
It's a tie rod end ball joint link. You can pick them up from Amazon. You just need to find the right size.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
If they just stripped out you can try Super Glue. Put a few drops in the plastic rod end and screw it fully onto the rod.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,475 Posts
Local hobby shops will have them also. I always try to use them to keep the money local.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you have to order them anyway, switch to metal if they are available. The plastic parts in props like this break all the time, because they're cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some better Ace hardware stores may have them as well. If you know the thread size diameter of the rod it attaches to you can likely find a replacement at McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
131 Posts
DON'T use super glue to fix, because if/when it breaks, you will not only have to replace the tie-rod end, but the metal rod as well. 3D prints are not as strong as an injection molded part. So, if the original injection molded part broke, don't expect a 3D print to hold up either. So, I second the recommendation that you replace it with a new metal one. The important measurements are the thread size on the base, and the diameter of the hole in the ball-part.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello, I found this singing Fir tree which was popular in the 90's...it work okay but the eyes and mouth can't move due to the gears being worn in the box (of so I saw on youtube). Can anyone tell me where I can get the replacement part or a plastic gear (in the green box behind the eyes)to replace it? I got ti at a Goodwill and was on my list of things I always wanted to w find.

·
Registered
239 Posts
@Lokai You might want to find some one to model the gear for 3D printing. There are places that sell plastic gears, but finding an exact match could be tricky. Have you taken it apart and found a broken gear? It can be fixed, but it might be a lot of work.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
DON'T use super glue to fix, because if/when it breaks, you will not only have to replace the tie-rod end, but the metal rod as well.
If that happens, all you have to do is use a proper size steel nut, working the nut back & forth a little at a time to clear the threads.

·
Registered
100 Posts
@Lokai You might want to find some one to model the gear for 3D printing. There are places that sell plastic gears, but finding an exact match could be tricky. Have you taken it apart and found a broken gear? It can be fixed, but it might be a lot of work.
Hello , thank you fo the response. I saw a YouTube video on the gears being worn, The person replaced it and it worked. I think it is the same issue. You are correct 3d printing may work. I'll have to open it. I was afraid of messing thing up, but it is not working anyhow- The voice etc is working fine -so even if the motor is messed y up it will still stay as it is . My next option is to write the company and see if they will mail the part to me but have to look for the info.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If that happens, all you have to do is use a proper size steel nut, working the nut back & forth a little at a time to clear the threads.
Let me see if i can open it and see -the size may be really small so will have to look at options

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your replies! I will likely go with a metal one if I can find them in this size. And I don't plan on using glue on the original part as it will likely fail again, my Hugz was a store display and it was already packed in it's box when I bought it at the after Halloween sale in 2019 for 50% off + another 20% for it being a display. It looks like they tried to "fix" it by wrapping a bunch of duck tape around the 2 bad tie rod ends. It only lasted 1 season with their tape "fix" until it failed on one of the 2 parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts