Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the months leading up to Halloween these last 2 years and now this year, a third, I've tried to get in touch with them via email and phone and never get a response.

I have 2 full paid v5 VSA licenses (Pro and Hobbyist) and when I open the software it always prompts me to upgrade to 5.1 using login instructions sent to during purchase. There are no login instructions and the links I have to download the software are for 5.0.

Pretty frustrating. Anyone know if they're still around? Their support policy:
We realize that fast, reliable technical support is the trademark of any good company -- especially a software company. As such, we monitor our email constantly and try to respond within five business days.
Anyone getting any emails or calls returned in the last couple years?

My singing skeleton / pumpkin band, Frank Skinnottra and the Gabbing Gourds, depend on this software!

Cheers,
--Aaron

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,448 Posts
I've gone through the same thing. I sent an e-mail and no response. I have all of my info but like you there is not a login page to use that info.I also need to get a copy for my Windows 10 computer . I'm going to try to call a little later today. If I get anywhere I'll let you know.
On a side note , your display is awesome. I would like to know how you did it and what software you're using. I have some plans for about 6 skulls singing and trying to get just the vocals is a real pain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @bfjou812, yeah let me know if you get anywhere.

As for our setup -- thanks! We just used VSA with a joystick and individually program the tracks/servos. Then the last step is little touch-ups using the VSA waveforms to adjust any weirdness. Sometimes I'll use their crop tools to reprogram just a section of a layer. It's a lot of work but it actually doesn't take terribly long. I've got it down, which is why I really hope to continue to use VSA. v5.0 is mostly stable but there are a few crashes and glitches here and there I was hoping they've addressed in v5.1.

Cheers,
--Aaron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@LarryTheSkeleton that's a bummer to hear as well but mirrors my experience with trying to get a hold of VSA. Their phone number goes straight to voicemail. I actually mailed them a letter a few days ago to the address listed; maybe that'll get someone's attention? Seems the address is a residential address in Virginia.

Anyone know what the changes were from 5.0 to 5.1? Maybe I'm overthinking the need to update.

Thanks for the compliment! The skeleton is just a cheap hallow plastic one you'd get at a halloween shop or even a drug store. I didn't want one of the kits because I wanted something smaller that could have some body movement and the kits I've seen seem to pivot the head way high inside the head making an unrealistic neck movement.

What's nice about the cheap skeletons is the plastic is soft and they cut nicely with an X-acto. I'm kicking myself though for how cheaply we did the head because the servos are attached with glue and zip ties. If/when a servo ever dies I'm screwed because I'll likely never get the geometry just-so and the mouth movements are precise enough it'd look wrong. I've got a 3D printer I've been messing with and trying to design stand-in copy skeleton but with a frame internal to the head where a servo could be unscrewed and replaced in the exact same location. I'm hoping I can finish it before the other one dies and I lose my reference!

Here is an old Flickr gallery with lots of build-out pics:

Cheers,
--Aaron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I think the letter-writing trick worked. Out of the blue I got a new sales-order email from them with my email address as the buyer, but a new login which worked. I'm guessing that the creator has mostly moved on from supporting / updating it but felt sorry for me and took some time after work to get me access. So at least I can keep working on things without the frequent upgrade notifications. Will report back if there's anything noticeable in v5.1 from v5.0.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts