Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone hooked a fogger up to a corrugated drainage pipe to spread ground fog? (as in it trickles out the slots along the pipe length)

I have seen several people mention as such on the forum, but the last time I tried it all the fog just pooled in the pipe. I need to ground fog the yard - am expecting 40F damp weather, with a yard slopped to the road. This sounds like a perfect idea, but I was hoping someone could tell me yes/no before I purchase the piping.

Corrugated Drainage piping http://www.google.com/shopping/product/2563112667519006721?lsf=seller:8740,store:15173898733384859030&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100537518&ci_sku=100537518&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
me me! i do and have, i dont have that problem ............ok this is easy, if you want cooled fog, take a bag or two of ice and put it in the pipe and jiggle it down to even it out..., then heres what makes it work, just duct tape up the other end of pipe or i have also put two foggers on one pipe, one at each end.............but the ice works pretty good............you can get creative and tape over some of the holes too..............i put mine in my beds in my yard up hill and up wind if you have any so it will flow across your area/yard

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Well I am in a much warmer climate but the perforated drain pipe has been used down here in Texas but we freeze water bottles and feed them in from the opposite end from the fogger. works well in costume here grab a cold bottle of water from the fogger end then add a frozen bottle to the other.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You can even spread leaves over it then wet down the leaves. If you put a small fan inside the pipe like a computer fan it will help push the fog thru

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have seen someone put that moss everyone uses over the drain pipe and wet the moss. The liquid in the moss helps cool and keep the fog on the ground.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey at my Home Depot we have the corrugated pipe with the slots in that accordions up (think bendy straw) so for 12 it collapses down to under 2' folding in half.

I will snap a pic today when I get back from lunch.... I am planning on trying it... however my chiller with trash bag spread out to distribute fog worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:D Thank you everyone for the feedback! I think I have an old computer fan and I know I have a 12V charger around here somewhere. The frozen water bottle trick will not go unused BTW! And than you for overlooking my misspelled "sloped".

HallowweenKat - thank you for the picture! It takes much of the theory out of the guessing... thousand words and all.

heresjohnny - I will ask around. Carpet vinyl tubes don't sound as if they would be flexible - are they?

TNBRAD - Good video - but I'm not certain of what we are looking at. Could you explain what you have under the coffin/mound?

·
Registered
36 Posts
A common mistake I see with adding fans to a pipe is to place the fan behind the fog intake. Most people place it so the fog is pulled through the fan which breaks up the fog. Putting it before the fog just acts as a strong wind and does not break it up, you get a thicker fog then.
Also make sure you leave an opening behind the fan to draw air in. An easy way to burn up a fan is to not give it air flow!

Depending on your setup I would probably recommend a T style insertion point. I would get a ridged PVC T point and place the fan on one end blowing in, then the fogger in the middle junction, then attach the hose to the other end. Tape up the far end of the hose to force the fog out of the smaller holes and it should work. When I get a chance I will try to draw something up to show what I mean.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't remember how warm it was when taking the picture (probably in the mid 80s) & it was my first try at using ice in the scrap piece of pipe I had. Having a strong enough fog machine would be another factor, I would think. Plus as others have suggested, dampen the ground where you are going to have it. Good idea on wetting spanish moss to lay over the pipe to add more moisture if needed, although by the time I'm setting up fog machines I don't know if I'd have enough time to drap the moss on the pipe. Maybe wet burlap would work, too. The one thing I really hope for is NO wind, LOL.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Matt S. Drake - thank you for the design layout. I know exactly what you mean.

@UnOrthodOx - 6" by 10'. Got it. Thank you for the specs!

When the season gets a bit closer, I will post some pictures to let you all know.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have been using flexible dryer hose for years. I spray painted it flat black and cut slits in it at random spots. It's about 3 inch diameter and hides easy through out my graveyard scene. Since it's flexible you can bend it any which way between props and such. I think it's about 20 feet when fully stretched out. I use two separate pieces on two of my five foggers . The ice tricks work great. I actually use coolers full of ice and attach the flex hose to a pipe I inserted in the cooler. I personally never tried the drainage tube since the diameters are usually so large.
Happy Haunting. The dryer vent hose I use is the foil covered type NOT white plastic. Got it at HD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts