Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to begin working on a large spell book, where each page will have unique spells and potions on them. I am investigating various techniques to get each page completed with writings and artwork, you can see my post here in the tutorials section if you have any helpful input..... http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/148301-creepy-books-tomes-spell-grimoires-3.html

....but since I am not an artist, I think my best option is to use rubber stamps and stencils for the majority of the artwork that I can't do by hand.

So my ask is this: does anyone have any old rubber stamps or stencils that you don't use anymore that I could either buy or even borrow (of course I pay for shipping in either scenario)? Some of the rubber stamps I've found online are pretty pricey and I'm trying to keep costs down, and since it's a fairly large book, I need a nice variety to keep it authentic looking.

I'm looking for Halloween or macabre related, and anything Victorian.

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I think I have one or two hiding somewhere, but I remember way back in high school advanced art class we did linoleum block printing. Basically you carved your design into the block and used it as a stamp. Not sure what the supplies would cost or even if there's a more modern and easier alternative, but you could make your own unique stamps.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
If you can't find rub on transfers, you can find tutorials on Youtube for how to make your own. Might be faster and cheaper to make your own and then rub them onto your pages. That way you can also customize your font, your images and what you want as far as spells and potions.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I have one or two hiding somewhere, but I remember way back in high school advanced art class we did linoleum block printing. Basically you carved your design into the block and used it as a stamp. Not sure what the supplies would cost or even if there's a more modern and easier alternative, but you could make your own unique stamps.
I wish I was that artistic to carve my own stamps! Although if I was, I could probably just do the drawings onto the paper, as well!

I just bought a lightbox and am going to see how that works. The paper inside this book is really thick, like heavy duty construction paper, so I hope the light is bright enough. I may still buy some stamps and try doing each page differently.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found this tutorial for making your own rub on transfer using wax paper and an ink jet printer. She is putting it onto wood, but I'm sure it could be transferred to paper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VF57Ni75mw
Thanks! I saw something about wax paper yesterday when I was doing some digging....I may just have to give that a try! I bought a lightbox and am going to try tracing some of the stuff directly onto the pages, but this transfer method might just work better (and if not better, at least faster!)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
There were other methods of making rub on transfers too. Some used transparency paper like you would use on overhead projectors. The transparency paper can be used over again after you clean off the residual image with a baby wipe or something. I figured it might make things go faster and you could pre-stain/age your paper before you transferred your images and you could choose from all sorts of images and lettering fonts. Good luck with your project. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Be interested to see if the rub on transfer idea works or not. I'd probably test it on similar type paper first.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There were other methods of making rub on transfers too. Some used transparency paper like you would use on overhead projectors. The transparency paper can be used over again after you clean off the residual image with a baby wipe or something. I figured it might make things go faster and you could pre-stain/age your paper before you transferred your images and you could choose from all sorts of images and lettering fonts. Good luck with your project. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Be interested to see if the rub on transfer idea works or not. I'd probably test it on similar type paper first.
I saw the transparency film method too....watched a bunch of videos on it and they all seem to vary on the method. But I just ordered the transparency film and a jar of Goldens Medium Gel from Amazon. Between all of the supplies I bought, and all the time I am going to put into it for each page, this book is gonna be worth MILLIONS! hahahah

But it'll be worth it in the end, because I will have my very own "real" spellbook.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I saw the transparency film method too....watched a bunch of videos on it and they all seem to vary on the method. But I just ordered the transparency film and a jar of Goldens Medium Gel from Amazon. Between all of the supplies I bought, and all the time I am going to put into it for each page, this book is gonna be worth MILLIONS! hahahah

But it'll be worth it in the end, because I will have my very own "real" spellbook.
Sometimes DIY isn't always cheaper, but the finished product is usually a lot better than you could buy ready made, not to mention it is unique and one of a kind. You will be the only one who has a spell/potion book like the one you are making. So that alone makes it valuable and worth every cent and minute spent on creating it.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sometimes DIY isn't always cheaper, but the finished product is usually a lot better than you could buy ready made, not to mention it is unique and one of a kind. You will be the only one who has a spell/potion book like the one you are making. So that alone makes it valuable and worth every cent and minute spent on creating it.
Yup, exactly! A few years ago when I first got it into my head that I wanted a REAL spellbook in the mix of all my other Halloween decorations, not just some plastic replica or a book that only opens to one page, I looked high and low online for any that were already made. I found a few different ones but they were in the price range of anywhere between $300-500. I didn't want to spend that kind of money at the time, so I just let the idea go for a while. But then when I came across this large leatherbound book that I got a huge bargain on, I snatched it up with intentions of making a spellbook out of it. It's large and heavy and has all the foundations to make a great spellbook.

I'm excited to start working on this, but I have a feeling it's going to take me a while.....perhaps even beyond Halloween 2017. But that's alright, I'm ok with that, now that I have a game plan!

Thanks for your input on this....it's much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you could also press real flowers and hurbs and then attach them to the different spells you create
I may try to do something like that at the end on one or 2 of the spells, once I have all the pages done. Since this book is so large and heavy, I need to be careful of what I add to it. I don't want to add too much early on and not be able to close it once I'm done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts