Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My better and I were thinking about setting aside 5 or 6 big treats for really outstanding costumes but I'd appreciate some feedback since we don't want to offend any other kids we are wondering if its a good idea or not.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My better and I were thinking about setting aside 5 or 6 big treats for really outstanding costumes but I'd appreciate some feedback since we don't want to offend any other kids we are wondering if its a good idea or not.
I've never done that, but I think it is a great idea. Thanks!

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
I have never done that......but I like the idea of special treats for the most creative costumes.

I do give "tricks" to those adults that come with absolutely no costume! I write "no costume, no candy" on small strips of paper and tape them around a paper clip for weight so it sounds like I'm dropping something good in the bag.:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have never done that......but I like the idea of special treats for the most creative costumes.

I do give "tricks" to those adults that come with absolutely no costume! I write "no costume, no candy" on small strips of paper and tape them around a paper clip for weight so it sounds like I'm dropping something good in the bag.:D
You actually get uncostumed adults?!?!?! Wow, I've never had costumed adults, let alone uncostumed.

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
You actually get uncostumed adults?!?!?! Wow, I've never had costumed adults, let alone uncostumed.
Yeah we get 4 or 5 every year! They always say "my kids at home sick." Yeah right! I'm sorry but if you're kids at home sick, why don't you just go out and buy them some candy?

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
My wife still dresses up and goes out with the kids. She and our one year old are jack-o-lanterns this year and she has next year planned for them...she will be a witch and our little one will be her black cat. She carries a small sack for my daughters "overflow", but we both know she likes a little chocolate now and again!

We give out full size candy bars to the little ones and to the best costumes (usually leaning toward the home made or home designed over store purchased).

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well discussing it with my better we decided on the following special gifts

2 Yo Yos- 3 bucks each
5 Balsa Wood Airplanes- 1 dollar each
5 light up pens- 1.50 each

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,865 Posts
I like this idea! We got some teens (yes, teens!) last year that had fantastic costumes, so they got a BIG handful of candy... but a big candy bar would be even cooler.

(Several really good zombies, a Rainbow Brite, and one was a banana... I remember it clearly as his stem kept getting tangled in our webbing overhead :D)

Oh, and I don't care how young or old, costumed or not, if they come to my door THEY GET CANDY! (maybe not as much as the costumed ones, but they get a few pieces... ;) )

·
Registered
574 Posts
If a kid shows up at my pirate cemetary dressed as a pirate, they get the regular treat plus a handful of those gold foil wrapped chocolate coins. "Arrrr. Here be your pirate booty me lad!"

Craig

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
We tend to go with quantity over quality.

IE, kids that put effort into it get a handful and kids that don't even say Trick or Treat might get a piece.

We got a TON of those LED flashing pins of all kinds when a local party store closed shop, for like .11 cents each. I gave them out to the cooler kids. Ghosts, witches, black cats, bats, BOO, etc.

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
That'll show 'em....bwah ha hah hah haaaaa

We have a couple of special gifts to give. I personally like to give them to the really great costumed kids IN FRONT OF uncostumed kids.

That made me LOL.
B/C I do the SAME thing.
If a TOT has a really outstanding (ie: homemade)

costume, I usually hand to them a special treat too.
Usually 8 inch glowsticks, a color changing light up pen,
or light up necklace.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Texmaster, Oh, you cheapskate!!! Oh, boy, a yo-yo!! Are you out of touch with today`s youth...

We routinely feature DVD`s as prizes. And we`ve `toned it down`from several years ago when we used to give away DVD players and personal CD players as the big prizes.

Come, on, it`s HALLOWE`EN, lighten up a little. Give em something to talk about.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
For the Little ones I'll get a couple of $5.00 gift cards towards going to WOnderland AMusement Park. For the Teens "13-19" I usually buy a few $5.oo coupons for the Movie Theatre, or a movie rental, and a couple gift cards for the cd store in the mall. Adults is usually extra candy and a Halloween gift from the dollar store

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Texmaster, Oh, you cheapskate!!! Oh, boy, a yo-yo!! Are you out of touch with today`s youth...

We routinely feature DVD`s as prizes. And we`ve `toned it down`from several years ago when we used to give away DVD players and personal CD players as the big prizes.

Come, on, it`s HALLOWE`EN, lighten up a little. Give em something to talk about.
Its better than giving nothing to the kids who deserve it. And I think giving some toys that dont require electricity can be a good thing.

Besides, what if you give the kid a DVD he already has?

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
I was about to say that I never did this, and then I thought of the little boy that came to the door dressed as Harry Potter last year...I gave him one of the wands that my husband had made for our costumes!!

I usually give extra candy to the really great costumes.

And nobody gets candy unless they say "Trick or Treat!" Don't just be shoving the bag at me expecting to get something. I'm not afraid to prompt them, either. ("Now, what do you say???") They probably hate me!! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts