Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to do an H.P. Lovecraft themed haunt one day. The biggest obstacle is that most people have never heard of him and would barely understand what it's about. To them, it would be just a creepy monster with a squid head, or fish-human hybrids. Has anyone ever done something Lovecraft-themed?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I would love to do an H.P. Lovecraft themed haunt one day. The biggest obstacle is that most people have never heard of him and would barely understand what it's about. To them, it would be just a creepy monster with a squid head, or fish-human hybrids. Has anyone ever done something Lovecraft-themed?
I used to be with a theater group that would hire out to do various horror short stories for Halloween haunts for a split of the ticket sales. We entertained the crowds in line while they waited to get into the haunts. I did a solo version of Pickman's Model.

To be honest, even though I am a huge Lovecraft fan, there really isn't much in the mythos that will translate well into a haunt. I can see Pickman's Model being the basis of a garage haunt. The Herbert West, Reanimator is essentially a restyling of Frankenstein. Rats in the Wall and Cool Air might be somewhat easy to pull off, too. But the rest of it would be way too much time, expense and effort to accomplish and you'd still suffer a low recognition rate for it.

Remember, Lovecraft is more than just the cosmic horror mythos he created.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a single Lovecraft tombstone - "Abdul Alhazred, That is not dead which can eternal lie," And my talking skull recites "Memory" and "Despair." Nobody gets any of it. In truth, the skull could recite the ABCs; no one cares what he says, just that he is talking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts