Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just moved into this neighborhood last year in October, but didn't do a whole lot in my yard because I didn't have time to plan much. This year I decided to go all out. My yard is now almost done and, of course, I'm the only one that has anything up. Seriously, not even a pumpkin in sight. This week, I spotted two different people walk up to my yard to check things out, give a disapproving shake of the head, and move on. One lady looked so disgusted I thought she was going start kicking things down. Neighborhood kids will stare as if they've never seen anything like it before, and maybe they haven't. I don't have anything offensive up. There isn't anything gory or otherwise in bad taste.

I've still got a few things I don't put out until the week and night of because they are weather permitting. There are a few new things I am excited about including a thunder and lightning machine and a projector. But, now I am debating just axing them because my yard seems to be so much of a misfire here. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Can't say that I have that problem, at least not with neighbors seeming to be disgusted by my decor. I'm sorry that your neighbors are not enjoying what you have put out. Some people can be such prudes and poo poo all over everything. Just don't let them dampen your Halloween spirit.

My problem in my neighborhood isn't so much as people are prudes, I just have a lot of older neighbors who are worried about someone trying to force their way into their home so they don't invite strangers to their homes by leaving a porch light on on Halloween night, or I have neighbors who have young children that they take out TOT and are not home to hand out candy to TOTs. So my neighborhood is pretty dark on Halloween and a lot of TOTs don't want to walk for blocks for one or 2 houses, or parents don't want to wrangle small children in and out of a car for one or 2 houses. Hoping that as their kids age and no longer need to be taken by their folks to go TOT the folks will stay home and turn on their lights. As far as the older neighbors go I totally understand their worries, even though it is very unlikely someone would try and force their way into their homes, there is always a slim chance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My street could definitely be better.
There is a couple houses with spiderwebs/pumpkins, but for the most part - nothing.

On Halloween night, only a handful give out candy.
What helps me get trick-r-treaters is the fact that my yard is so lit up, that the kids (and parents) will walk down to see what is going on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Havent had any disapproving looks but we dont have sidewalks in our neighborhood. Our neighbors directly across the street are Jehovahs Witnesses and Im sure they dont like seeing our display everytime they come out of their house but theyve never said anything. I keep it non gory and non offensive out of respect for them. I say keep doing what youre doing. There will ALWAYS be people that disapprove no matter what you do.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I wouldn't trash the entire neighborhood based on disapproving looks from one or two people. Of course you won't please everybody! Just do your own yard for your own enjoyment and don't worry about it, a long as you aren't breaking any HOA rules obviously. Next time you see the frowners, just smile and wave as though you are the happiest guy in the neighborhood. It may make them rethink any negative ideas they have about "those Halloween people". ;)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Our neighborhood is getting darker...last year they had a doing in town. My town is very small. We did not have many folks show up at our house...maybe 250. You may think that is a good number but after years of more than 600 coming 250 is hard to swallow. This year may be worse...Lexington 8 miles from me is shutting the whole main street down and the vendors are giving out treats and they are having a band. Will be curious to see what happens.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yep! Im the only one who decorates at all. However, I do have 1 neighbor that loves my display. I always look for any type of decorations when driving though the neighborhood...and nothing. I do think this "trunk or treat" thing is taking away from thr traditional beggers night. I was shocked and disguted to find out that my 2 year old niece is NOT being taken trick or treating???!!!! I offered to take her and was told "we dont do that type of thing"?? Like its frowned upon??!! Im so glad I dont have to grow up "nowadays". Udderly disappointed:-(

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've got nothing but lots of unsolicited positive comments from sidewalkers when I'm out working on my haunt. People tell me they wait to see what I'm going to do every year. That's an AMAZING compliment and feeling :) We give out between 400-600 pieces of candy. Our neighborhood has kids trucked in from elsewhere. I'm very sad for those of you who either have few visitors or disapproving prudes. That truly sucks when no one appreciates your massive amount of work.

Scarab

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,288 Posts
Our neighbors directly across the street are Jehovahs Witnesses and Im sure they dont like seeing our display everytime they come out of their house but theyve never said anything. I keep it non gory and non offensive out of respect for them.
kudos to you and them both for respecting each other. the world needs far more of that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Luckily mine is not like that. My old neighborhood I didn't decorate because a new development was built next to ours so my area became dead, not in a good way. Our current neighborhood is full of children, steady flow of TOTs for about 2 hours . I started decorating then noticed other houses around started to put some up too, nowhere near as much as I do but at least I'm not the only one in my immediate area. I add more and more each year. Last year I added 2 bloody bodies wrapped in plastic prominently displayed on our tree that faces both streets on the corner we're on. I thought I'd have a problem but no one said anything. I did have one guy tell me on Halloween last year that his wife wasn't keen on them and asked if anyone had complained to me. I told him no one complained. He asked what would I do if someone did. I told him that there'd be 4 bodies next year instead of 2. It's funny because my house is a bus stop for the schools so the kids stand there by the bodies while waiting for the bus. They love it and know its just trash wrapped in a sheet with fake blood.

·
Registered
575 Posts
We moved to a new house last year after 17 years in a town that didn't really do trick or treating, they had someting down Main Street for all of the kids and nobody went house to house. We tried decorating but it became a complete waste of time. Last year, we didn't do much here because we didn't have time, but this year we've started to get back into the groove. There are a couple of pockets of haunters around here, but in our neighborhood, we started out being the first and the biggest. Now, we're seeing more and more people putting out decorations. I don't know if they got inspired by us or if they just do it late, but at least we're not alone anymore. We're still the biggest, but maybe we can get people motivated in years to come.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You would think this day in age, with all of the negative stuff going on, that MORE people would appreciate such things. Real life is scary and distasteful. Halloween and monsters are just fun!

Luckily, lots of houses decorate in our neighborhood. It's kind of known for Halloween now, cars line the street on Halloween, a lot of people from "bad neighborhoods" bring their kids out here to TOT. And we're fine with it.

We're planning for over 700 TOTs this year.

If we didn't get very many, or we had to deal with "negative" people like you, it wouldn't be as fun. And I'd get mad, which isn't fun either!
While I do make some pretty scary stuff, I also am tasteful, no gore, etc...

·
Registered
396 Posts
All I have outside is a wreath on my front door. I decorate inside first. A lot of people wait till closer to Halloween to decorate outdoors. The longer your stuff is outside the more chances of vandalism, theft, and damage from weather. I'm sure some of your neighbors just aren't ready to put out their decorations yet.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
We moved this spring and I am not sure what to expect. The families which I have asked what to expect range from, we get a lot to we get a few. Of course no-one counts the numbers so a few and a lot could be 20-500. We averaged 250 TOT's at our last home and it seems to have about the same number of kids on the street....I might be in the same boat, as far as neighbor acceptance as we haven't seen anything up yet aside from a few very small decorations and I don't typically put much out until the weekend before.

I hope that everything perks up in a positive way for you mfenske78..you probably won't know until Halloween evening how well everything is accepted by your neighbours and the TOT's.....don't worry about it until then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep! Im the only one who decorates at all. However, I do have 1 neighbor that loves my display. I always look for any type of decorations when driving though the neighborhood...and nothing. I do think this "trunk or treat" thing is taking away from thr traditional beggers night. I was shocked and disguted to find out that my 2 year old niece is NOT being taken trick or treating???!!!! I offered to take her and was told "we dont do that type of thing"?? Like its frowned upon??!! Im so glad I dont have to grow up "nowadays". Udderly disappointed:-(
I hate those trunk or treat things. I don't see the point. Is it laziness of the parents not wanting to walk their children all over the neighborhood? Those poor kids will not know how fun Halloween really is with traditional trick or treating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We're the only house on our street that decorates. We also don't really get any/many trick or treaters. There's a street a few streets over that goes all out and is a ToT hot spot, so the very few kids on our street go there instead.

That being said, we got our outside lights done in advance of our party for once and have been turning them on every night, so I suspect that might draw in at least a few local kids. I'll have some candy ready just in case. If not, more candy for me. :p

·
Registered
396 Posts
I definitely think trunk or treat is a threat to halloween. Some do gooder where I live thinks we need trunk or treat on halloween night in town center because of harvey flooding. Nevermind that quite a few churches do trunk or treat on halloween night already. Any families that can't trick or treat on their street or neighborhood would be welcome to trick or treat in unaffected streets/neighborhoods. I plan to make extra treat bags just in case we get more kids because of the homes that were flooded.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I hate those trunk or treat things. I don't see the point. Is it laziness of the parents not wanting to walk their children all over the neighborhood? Those poor kids will not know how fun Halloween really is with traditional trick or treating.
There is some good aspects of the trunk or treating. I can see it being a way for folks who live way out in the boonies or live in college dorms to have a spot to park and hand out candy and see the kids in their costumes who otherwise would not get to do so. That is where the good aspect stops IMO. We have a nice big church parking lot right across the street from us, that would be a good spot for the above mentioned to park and hand out candy. I think it is ridiculous though for those in town, or do not live in college dorms to participate in trunk or treating. Stay home and turn on your lights for goodness sake and let the kids have some fun and it wouldn't hurt ya none to at least put out a jack-o-lantern either while your at it. All this darn trunk or treating business is nonsense. I assume they started doing it as a way to keep kids safe, but all it is really doing is teaching them to be scaredy cats, afraid of their own shadows.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts