Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Jeremy, and I'm an autistic person with Halloween as a longstanding special interest. And with all the reveals and such happening lately, I'm chomping at the bit for Halloween. But something feels wrong, like I'm too excited. Overhyping things. I feel like, while the Halloween season is on, it should be the planning phase, not the "Buy everything" phase. I feel like I need a period of clarity before I do something reckless. Anyone else feel overstimulated with all the Halloween things?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a break from Halloween. I just need to get ready at my own pace. Work on some projects instead of just buying things. Turn that energy into something productive. Because if I get burned out as early as July that's not good.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I think everyone goes through the same phases with Halloween especially as new products start to be found on merchandisers sites and shelves. And, it’s super easy to give yourself “Halloween burn out” before the season even arrives.

Hang in there! Pace yourself and if it starts to be too much and you’re overwhelmed, just step away. There’s still plenty of time to make lists and attack small projects and bigger projects before Halloween. And if nothing else, there’s always next year. Happy Haunting!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,369 Posts
Yep, the "buying things" can be addictive, expensive & too easy, but especially now that stores are starting to put stuff out it's kinda hard to walk away from some things.

But in the end I have to take a step back & say "They're just THINGS. Life won't end if I don't own (insert your much hyped/needed/wanted/etc. Halloween thing here)."

Stepping away from this joint more often helps sometimes because we can bit a bit "much" about a LOT of things ;) :). Not that that's a bad thing necessarily but it can give one a bit of anxiety on occasion.

Like Meadow said, make a list, make a budget, & don't sweat the little things.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I’m laughing at your post @RCIAG cause we totally get “intense” around here when we are super excited! I know I just went and bought all those flowers and veggies for our garden and I was probably on hyper drive at Michaels and now I’m looking at them scratching my head.

Halloween is so tough cause you wait all year for this one day. It’s ONE day! And you don’t always know your lighting scheme is trash until it’s too late. It’s tough! But, the forum is great. There’s not been a single time I’ve asked for an opinion or help and haven’t gotten more than I ever expected.

The good news is you’re in good company and we all experience the ups and downs of Halloween.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yes! I'm with you. In fact I got a message earlier today that my giant pumpkin guy from HD is back ordered and could get canceled and, after brief initial disappointment, my reaction was almost relief.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm actually OK right now, and I'm really enjoying the excitement of Halloween stuff starting to hit the stores. I keep dreaming of Halloween through the summer, planning, shopping, feeling occasional small pockets of over-stimulation and burnout, but then the fall weather starts and I'm reinvigorated. However...by early October, when the rest of world starts thinking about Halloween, THAT'S when I start to feel very much over it. Because at that point it's been months of Halloween obsession, and that's also the point that all the stress of the holiday starts setting in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Doing your own projects, taking things at your own pace, & limiting social media is a great idea. I personally love to see what stuff people are seeing out there, but I understand how it can be overwhelming & stressful. I tend to over analyze. I typically try to make a list of the things I really want so I can prioritize based on cost and space (our place is pretty small). I tend to gravitate towards items I can leave out year round. Projects can be so much more rewarding though. Just do what works for you & enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
This is probably going to sound silly..... but have you ever thought about growing pumpkins? You can grow big, small or in-between. Growing pumpkins from seed is a great way to relax & enjoy the changing of seasons. It also helps you to pace yourself. Then in fall when people ask you where you bought your pumpkins ~
you can reply: I grew them
The feeling of accomplishment is extraordinary

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is probably going to sound silly..... but have you ever thought about growing pumpkins? You can grow big, small or in-between. Growing pumpkins from seed is a great way to relax & enjoy the changing of seasons. It also helps you to pace yourself. Then in fall when people ask you where you bought your pumpkins ~
you can reply: I grew them
The feeling of accomplishment is extraordinary
It doesn't sound silly! It makes perfect sense!

That said, we've had a few pumpkin plants over the years. None really provided fruits worth the labor in time for Halloween. But then again, one was when I was a kid and the other was a mistake, so if I take the time to properly care for a pumpkin vine, maybe things could be different.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
699 Posts
Definitely feeling over hyped, especially for still being July. Coming down of the high of the HD release, where I spent too much money. But on the flip side, I'm liking that I'm getting my focus and plans together. I just re-organized my storage unit, did not bring the skeletons home yet, but made sure they were easy to get to. I promised the Mrs. I would finish the Kitchen remodel before starting any Halloween build, so now I'm using it as motivation to get the backsplash tiled up. Hopefully will be ready for building season by mid August.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It doesn't sound silly! It makes perfect sense!

That said, we've had a few pumpkin plants over the years. None really provided fruits worth the labor in time for Halloween. But then again, one was when I was a kid and the other was a mistake, so if I take the time to properly care for a pumpkin vine, maybe things could be different.
Come visit the "Pumpkin Growers" thread. We help each other, trade seeds & give advice (maybe to much advice 😉) I've learned a lot from other pumpkin people. A few are very professional but I'm just an amateur or home grower. I'm glad you didn't think it was a silly suggestion because I get a lot of pleasure from growing my own pumpkins.
Ya know... depending on where you live you might be able to grow "Mini pumpkins" before Halloween.

Best of luck

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Come visit the "Pumpkin Growers" thread. We help each other, trade seeds & give advice (maybe to much advice 😉) I've learned a lot from other pumpkin people. A few are very professional but I'm just an amateur or home grower. I'm glad you didn't think it was a silly suggestion because I get a lot of pleasure from growing my own pumpkins.
Ya know... depending on where you live you might be able to grow "Mini pumpkins" before Halloween.

Best of luck
I'll think about it as an activity next year. It's a little late for a timely - or even a successful - planting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Autism comes in a very broad spectrum. At the very low end, it may even just be considered a personality trait, or a gift for certain things. God made us all different.

But, at some point, autism starts to interfere with having a normal life. Knowing you are diagnosed really help you know view it from a more objective viewpoint, and you may already know signs to watch out for. So, you probably can recognize when it is going overboard.

Certainly, if it creates financial problems, or over fills your available storage space, then you should hopefully recognize that. I suspect that, if it is you only activity outside of work, then you may also have gone overboard, even if the money or space issues are not a problem.

If you can find some others to work together on projects, that may also be a good way to socialize more. So, your hobby can also be a center for meeting other people.

-Joe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, I'm Jeremy, and I'm an autistic person with Halloween as a longstanding special interest. And with all the reveals and such happening lately, I'm chomping at the bit for Halloween. But something feels wrong, like I'm too excited. Overhyping things. I feel like, while the Halloween season is on, it should be the planning phase, not the "Buy everything" phase. I feel like I need a period of clarity before I do something reckless. Anyone else feel overstimulated with all the Halloween things?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a break from Halloween. I just need to get ready at my own pace. Work on some projects instead of just buying things. Turn that energy into something productive. Because if I get burned out as early as July that's not good.
I totally relate to this. I had to unsubscribe to a lot of email newsletters and venders because I get overwhelmed with all the new things coming out at the same time. Then there is the "this will probably sell out" hype that makes me even more anxious. All that hype makes me feel like Halloween is NEXT WEEK and I start to. panic.

My way of coping is to focus on what I am working on (bats) and to try and spread out my browsing of Halloween merchandise. Hang in there - those of us on the spectrum can get really deep into things we love so we have to pace ourselves as best we can. ;-)

·
Crypto Hunter
1,369 Posts
While I enjoy seeing the new props from Home Depot and even bought a couple it really isn't that important.
We have been dealing with an ill pet for the past eight months. I would gladly do without all of this.
His health - and ours - is worth so much more.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I wouldn’t call it overstimulated, but once new products roll out, there is an excitement in the air. I don’t want summer to end, but am also looking forward to this season’s decorating and building. Hopefully it doesn’t come too soon. Saw this today, and got that warm fuzzy feeling….
I need every single one of my tomatoes to ripen before the 1st frost so Halloween can wait.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts