Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know whether it's the hot weather or that I have way too many outdoor house projects that need to be completed that's stolen my Halloween spirit, but I came to a complete stop with my builds. I'm struggling to get back into the spirit and plan the rest of my builds. I really think it's the distraction of everything else that's to blame. I see the countdown (today marks 112 days left) and it ignites anxiety! Anyone else feeling this way? :(

I'm on vacation this week and may dedicate the week to getting all the outdoor stuff done so that I can use the remainder of the summer to focus on Halloween. Ugh! So frustrating!

·
Registered
207 Posts
To me it's the spirit of Halloween that really makes the season. It's not something forced or something that you should feel pressured to do. Right now I'm excited for Halloween because I found something that I've wanted for quite a while so that has been a big motivation for me. I love seeing people happy because they bought something they love or when they got a great deal on something.

Like anything else there are times where we're more motivated by our interests than others. We all lose that spark for something every now and again, you just might have to recharge and get your bigger outdoor projects finished before you can get your head around your Halloween projects (clean slate)

You'll get it back I'm sure and at least this is the place to get that pep talk :cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
We all go through that at some point to some degree. Remember, this is supposed to be fun. If it's only going to cause you anxiety, step back, take a break and see how you feel later. If it gets into late September/October and you're still not feeling it, take the year off. Maybe put out a few token decorations to keep the spirit alive, just hand out candy and enjoy it.

·
Registered
14,231 Posts
I kind of felt that way earlier last month. Hubby is extremely busy at work now and has been working late sometimes during the week and even on Saturdays. It became apparent to me that what I wanted to get built for this year with his help was looking slimmer and slimmer as the weekends were floating away. So reluctantly decided I needed to switch themes or I wouldn't be happy with a partial theme. Pretty bummed and like you have been noticing the days counting down. Yesterday the mailman delivered my first prop ordered for the new season and it did help bring back some of the excitement. Hang in there. It happens.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,636 Posts
Threads like this pop up almost every year about this time! It's July, summer, lots going on. Can't work on Halloween every day. Yes the hot weather is draining and doesn't contribute to being in a Halloween frame of mind. Get your other projects done and out of the way. Clear your head for what you need to do for Halloween. Your motivation will return. I make it a point not to pay attention to the countdown calendars. It's another deadline. We all know how much time we have without a daily reminder! A lot of us get into this situation but come September we get a grip and forge ahead, and everything gets done.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Compared to many of you, what my DH and I do is rather small potatoes. We don't typically do any Halloween projects throughout the year & don't really start actively prepping until late August, early September. Although, thanks to this forum, I have learned to start shopping for Halloween items around now, rather than waiting because as we know, things sell out or can't be found if you wait too long.

I get a bit excited at this time of year now due to the merchandise that's coming out. I like to see everyone's photos & especially when Marshall's Home Goods puts their stuff out, I'll make a few trips there to check things out in person. I'll get another boost when Spirit stores start to open because my kids will be sooooo excited to go & we'll make a family event out of it. :D

But otherwise, I really need the change of weather to push me on. I'm too focused now on Summer things and working in my garden. I actually made some corpsed skulls a few weeks ago to give as a gift to a friend, and it didn't really motivate me to work on other Halloween stuff like I thought it might. That's okay though - everything has its season, and right now it's just not the time for me to be into Halloween. But it's coming! ;)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have with the stupid pumpkin project. It's tedious. I have plenty of spirit for other stuff but I just don't want to work on it.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
You know what anyone outside these forums would say in answer to posts of this nature? They'd say, "Of course you don't have any Halloween spirit - it's July, for Pete's sake!" And you know what? They'd be right! ;) I have learned to live in the present season and forget about preparing for Halloween months ahead of time. I know some of you are Halloween 365 but it just doesn't work for me and apparently I'm not the only one. Do what needs to be done now and don't worry about it. When fall comes around, you'll most likely find plenty of Halloween spirit! :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone. I guess saying I'm not in the spirit isn't exactly true, since I'm checking the stores for the first round of Halloween items and thinking about Halloween plans. I think it comes down to me being overwhelmed with other things on top of my builds. Normally, I'm able to focus on just Halloween but this year is different and I should probably cut myself some slack. You're right, ML, most don't think about Halloween this early so it's really unrealistic in a way.

I don't see my builds as a bother or anything like that, I'm just distracted and probably frustrated that I haven't been able to work on them. Once I get some home projects done I'm sure my spirit will come back. I'm definitely not going as all out as I originally planned, but I'm okay with that. I'll build what's manageable this season.

Thanks for the pep talk!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Last year really wore me out. Lately we've had about 1,000 toters. It's getting to be to much for me my husband and daughter. So this year we are doing something completely different. We are going to New Orleans for Halloween. I know I couldn't stay home and just not answer the door. lol I figure this will recharge our batteries and next year we'll be back refreshed. If you want to come along Rockstar feel free to join us. I understand they have a big parade like Mardi Gras. I'm hoping to be in a cemetery at midnight on Halloween. So if you want something with less work this year, join us in the Big Easy. :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
I fell victim to the same thing. I was refinishing my cabinets in the kitchen and overnight, our water main sprung a leak (second floor right over the kitchen), and it crushed my spirit. Then my Halloween budget got eaten up by costs not covered by insurance. Now that the work is done, I'm slowly getting it back. Just everything went wrong right when I'm usually starting prop work. I felt drained and not motivated at all

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have tried to work on Halloween year around and it seems to become a second job with really poor pay. :D I do not think about it once everything is put up until May comes around and I plant my pumpkin garden. Then in September, I start working on my display. For me, eight weeks of work is enough. I just have to realize that I will never have one those over the top displays, but I also will never feel like the world is caving in on me.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think it is the summer and other projects have derailed you, im going through the same thing but im still working on props......
I need to kick it inot high gear and make some big progress and I havent done anything in the month of June....

·
Registered
14,231 Posts
Every year lately (started a few years ago) I said I kind of want to skip decorating and spend the night going around the neighborhoods and checking out peoples haunts. Many only set up like we do on Halloween day for that night. Did a little of visiting on a few days before halloween and went into a few walk thru haunts but never on halloween. I always end up feeling like we should be home and greeting our ToTers instead. One of these years I guess... I really do enjoy seeing the kids come to our house and I do feel good after all the kids have come and gone each year.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Normally I'm full tilt boogie Halloween 24/7/365. Thinking about it, building stuff, whatever. Like many of you, this year LIFE has gotten in the way....not much accomplished in the Halloween arena. But!!! Seeing the threads on here with photos of Halloween item store sightings, the online H stores releasing their new stuff for 2016, vids I hadn't seen of wonderful haunts on youtube~my spirit is renewed!

We all have something that triggers & inspires our Halloween drive. Find it! If you can't, maybe this is the year you need to take a break and check out other haunts or visit a haunted attraction. When life hands you lemons, add Vodka;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts