Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This the first day that I have actually had the free time to start my yard haunt. UGHH!!!!! My neighbors were probably wondering what the heck was going on. The Jehovah Witness neighbors were probably disappointed to see the tombstones go up today. P.S. they are super nice and have never said anything about the decor (to our faces LOL) Anyone else just starting? Heres a picture of what I put up today. Still have to put out lighting, webs, giant spider, yard bones, singing pumpkins, fence, cauldron creep witch. Were going to be busy!

Attachments

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
We normally don't put anything up until the final week, but this year may be an exception. A few tombstones, maybe...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just started the outdoors stuff today (I've been out of town for past 3 weekends) plus I have to figure out what is fireproof (i.e. still gets to mid 90s during the day),

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just started...not much out yet, lots of comments to my hubby from those concerned thAt I'm starting so late this year!! And I am, I also have less motivation as there is a huge fire in my area that destroyed half of my childhood home city (I live one city over now, but all my family and many friends still live there)...I've been consumed with news on the fire, location and safety of family, not sleeping, housing evacuated family & reall doent even want to decorate at the moment...but I will for the community because they count on it

·
Registered
689 Posts
Im not just starting but just buttoning up some small details. Im so bummed about the terrible weather we have had. Normally I have my display out the first weekend of October:-(

·
Registered
16 Posts
We had bad weather the first of the month so I started last weekend. One neighbor stopped by to say she didn't think it was October without my zombies up. It takes forever but hopefully everything will be up by the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Was going to start setting things up today, but the cold and the wind put a bit of a damper on that plan. The cold wasn't so much a problem, but the wind is not that fun and just makes the cold that much colder.
Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and less windy, so hoping to get things set up then. Got to figure out how to get my cauldron into the front yard. It is too big to fit through my front door. Thankfully I have french doors going to the backyard to get my cauldron out of the house. May have to go through the large gate between us and the neighbors and then up through their backyard. I need to get stuff out of my house and into the yard so that I can clean my house for my daughter's birthday party next weekend. Unfortunately I don't have a garage to work in, so my entire house becomes my work area.

·
Registered
520 Posts
We've had a lot of lighting effects up for a while, but we're just putting out the last of the big stuff, which I'm hoping will be done this weekend. What's the point of doing it if it isn't up for a while to enjoy?

·
Registered
348 Posts
*raises hand* my first Halloween in our new house too. It’s easy to get overwhelmed so I’m just putting out things here and there. Today is a lazy day. I have some pumpkin candles lit and am card crafting.

·
Registered
520 Posts
*raises hand* my first Halloween in our new house too. It’s easy to get overwhelmed so I’m just putting out things here and there. Today is a lazy day. I have some pumpkin candles lit and am card crafting.
Last year was our first in the new house and we didn't do a thing, mostly because we had no clue what to expect after spending 17 years in a house where we got 2 ToTers in 17 years total. But it was surprisingly heavy so we're back to decorating this year again. And while last year, nobody else around us did a thing, since we've had lights and decorations up, a couple of neighbors have gotten into the spirit too. Don't know if we got them going, but it would be nice to think so.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This year will be the first year with outside decorations for us. I haven't put any out yet though. I'm trying to figure out something to do to keep them from getting snatched. We have a huge skull from Home Depot that we bought this year. It is about as big around as a child's little tikes car is big, it cost us around $30 and I'd be furious if it was stolen.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This year will be the first year with outside decorations for us. I haven't put any out yet though. I'm trying to figure out something to do to keep them from getting snatched. We have a huge skull from Home Depot that we bought this year. It is about as big around as a child's little tikes car is big, it cost us around $30 and I'd be furious if it was stolen.
You can either stake it to the ground or get steel cable from Home Depot, drill a hole into the skull and glue an I-bolt into it, then secure the prop to any convenient tree or even a stake in the ground.

Something like this works great:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-3-16-in-x-6-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Security-Cable-Wire-Rope-64752/202972292

·
Registered
57 Posts
Haven't started at all yet! No time but I don't usually put a single thing up until Halloween day

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nothing actually out yet – everything in different prep stages. We had two big ash trees taken down in the front yard this month, and we're waiting for the guy to come back and grind the stumps (he already cashed the check, he better get his butt here soon). The loss of these two trees completely changes the landscape and means I have to come up with a new layout, new scenes, and ... groan ... eliminates my hanging decorations completely. I used to have a giant spider and web anchored to one tree's branches, and my Pirates Ye Be Warned sign and scene anchored to the other.
So now I'm getting old pieces ready, new pieces finished, and trying to lay it all out in my head. Bother.

Pirate a.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your house has great lines for Hallowe'en. Do you do up the windows?
This is only our second year in this house and I will probably just put a spooky background from the inside this year. We used to do the boarded up windows but we cant reach these very easily. Id like to try a projection next year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put a bunch of stuff up yesterday... Then today it poured rained and the wind was howling. So, now I get to try to fix the things that got destroyed and reset everything, :D.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts