Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
Nice Video. I have been thinking about putting in a camera to have it for security reasons (Prop protection and stuffs) but never really thought of a scare cam.

BTW what does the prop look like on the other side?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can see full prop from when I was building it at the end of that video
Here is one from this year in the dark, but it's a bit hard to see.
You can see the camera just over his head (it has infra-red led for night vision so it appears really bright in the video but a person can't really see it)

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Scare cams might be fun since I don't see most of what goes on inside of my haunt..

However, I am more interested in your prop than your scare cam. Do you have separate video/pics of it. Is it a manually controlled pneumatic or is there a prop control board involved?

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
Guess I got caught! I didn't watch it all the way through -_- lol

I see it now. Amazing job on the prop!

I have been looking to build on of these, but wanting to know what budget to set. Whats your estimate of materials and such for it ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try and post some details on this prop.

It runs in a 4X8 plywood wall with some old shutters.

There is a single pneumatic valve that drives all the cylinders . I run this manually for two reasons. First this gets very close to people if they stand in the wrong place and I don't want to hit anyone. Second my wife does not like it when I scare the really little ones.

There are 2 cylinders mounted on the inside window sill mounted at about 45 degrees and they push on metal plates on the plywood that backs the shutters pushing them open.

Then one larger cylinder that brings up the torso. Because of the weight it takes a bit longer to for torso to get moving to the shutters are well open before it gets there. The only other adjustment is a speed control on the exhaust to prevent the torso from slamming back to the ground.

I thought this was going to be a cheap prop, I got all scrap steel (cheaper but not free) and have a friend who welds. The walls you can find at any hardware store. The shutters came off my house during a renovation and I kept them for this but they are cheap plastic that just go over plywood.
The torso was a cheap styro zombie I got just after Halloween one year and I keep meaning to replace it with something better. At least it puts up with all the movement. Probably ended up costing me about $300... I lost track of all the little bits.

IMG_9603.jpg
IMG_9600.jpg

I have a visio diagram somewhere with all my dimensions if someone else wanted to try

·
Halloween Elitist
2,890 Posts
I've always wanted to set up a video cam but never do..be nice if someone had 2014 video footage of the jumping spider scaring people

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I get mostly screams from the Bad Dream Bed camera. Sometimes I use those sounds on the answering machine greeting.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Pneumatics can get pricey. Like you I run all my pneumatics manually to avoid smacking people and I also use crates to keep people from wondering into the firing zone of my scissor props.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Do you put up a sign to tell people they are being filmed? I'd love to do this but I'm afraid parents will get stroppy about their kids being filmed without permission. (You can tell I work with kids, can't you!)

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Yes we have two scare cams, I went through a bit of footage on our drop panel camera last weekend, some are very funny! We were open 4 nights so I have a lot of footage to review yet....we post signs about video use on the front of our facade to make people aware....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts