Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tiredness and fatigue that accompanies Halloween for a lot of us? Man, for the past week and a half I've been setting up pallet walls, going to fields and cutting down truck loads of corn stalks, moving wall panels, building cage facades for our patio and moving all kinds of stuff around in the garage/basement and attic. I'm feeling the aches and pains, sore feet and muscles, and all that fun stuff. Starting to take a few Advil each day to stave off the discomfort. I remember this feeling every year, and Halloween is still three weeks off. I'm thinking by November 1st, I'll be ready for a long nap.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Nope, don't feel anything. Haven't started and with rain in the forecast, I won't start until Saturday...wait...Huskers in the morning and Red Sox later in the day...yeah nothing is getting done then either. OK, maybe we'll start on Sunday....what time is the Seahawk's game and the Red Sox got game two. I guess it's a good thing Monday is a holiday for me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
im fed up with washing paper mache glue out of my hair so far
plus spilling glow in the dark paint all over the kitchen floor managed to get it all up but i has left a very slight radioactive tinge to the floor in the grout (should have poured it down the drive )

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
Yep, it does take a toll....I know this upcoming weekend is going to be frenetic as I come down the final stretch.

All of the prop, audio, video loose ends certainly do place a great deal of mental stress no matter how much we 'enjoy it'. However, I think that pales in comparison to the moving of storage bins, unpacking of said bins, migration of furnishings, etc. that accompany all it.

There is no doubt that November is going to be all about laziness....
:cool:

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing jdubbya, with me, its sore feet from being in perpetual motion from the minute I get home from work at 5:30 and from 8 in the morning till sundown on weekends sometimes I question my self "do you really have to put in these many hours and effort?" But the answer is always "yes" if you want to finish in time by Halloween so you can realize your vision.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yep, I'm feeling it too! Next weekend is our party and my to-do list is getting longer instead of shorter. I know everything that I want to get done isn't going to but I will try like hell to make sure it does! Luckily, with us planning a trip to Salem, I will be able to enjoy the season this year, where usually I am too busy and stressed to really sit back, relax, and take it all in.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
I was up until 11:00 last night trying to finish my cemetery columns (except for the foam stones). I got the frames all finished, including access doors and hardware for connecting the fence and gates. However, I am SOOOO feeling it this morning :eek:.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is the time of year that I would be pulling out my hair...if I had any. Football is a religion all in itself in my house so I am trying to fit all of the details between full time work, pee wee games, high school games, and Denver Bronco games. Trying a new theme this year so just about all of the props new and being built from scratch. About half way into the process, I get commissioned to build two sets of speakers and also have to write and record the music for a movie trailer.
I am only half way where I wanted to be and starting to look at what I can realistically get done this year and figuring out what needs to be pushed back to next year.
My feet hurt, and I am sore, but I am going to bed with a sense of accomplishment each day. At least now that some of the props and decorations are making it outside.

·
The Great Crazy
42,937 Posts
Lol... I am feeling the pain everyone around me has their Halloween stuff up and I have been putting in late hours and days off and still haven't got the lighting done.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I woke up this morning so tired and sore! I could hardly lift my left arm and couldn't figure out why. Then I remember standing high on the ladder to throw a chain over a high thick branch then straining to tie and secure it. And I haven't even hoisted Houdini up there yet. That's on today's agenda. Along with painting some signs, making a fortune teller and rigging some tarps to look like circus tents. Oh, and did I mention that I first ripped apart the Houdini prop I'd built and rebuilt it?

I took an Aleve and tried to go back to bed but I kept thinking about all I have to do today. Last night, after running around for two days buying stuff, I felt jazzed. Today I just see a huge 'to do' list before my eyes

·
Registered
51 Posts
Add another one to the Halloween worn and weary!
Sore back from lifting totes, finding leg muscles I didn't know I had from constant climbing up and down the step ladder, gluing fingers together and hot glue burns on arm from dropping the glue gun and thinking it wise to swoop it up in my arms to keep it from hitting the floor --- Gosh I love Halloween and would --- will do it all again next year as it is all worth it on 10/31 when those squealing and screaming lil Trick or Treaters leave my door step and I am smiling ;)

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,361 Posts
WHY OH WHY do we subject ourselves to this agonizing torture EVERY YEAR?? Well - because it is the season for agony and torture! LOL Still - there IS something to be said for enlisting HELP!
Logic tells me that to ask for help, arrange to share the joy of the set up with a few willing neighbors and then ask if anyone wants to volunteer to share the frightful love helping on Halloween night would be the key to reducing my exhaustion each year.

But I must face the truth - I actually NEED the challenge each year! We have control over so few things in this life, ya know? Toying with the after-life fun of Halloween gives me the feeling that I alone can master the un-masterable!

Nevertheless, I always benefit from climbing those hundreds of flights of stairs, toting bins up and down from the basement. Keeps me fit! (Unless you count the trips to the ER for injuries, or the wallop to our wallets) Besides -- When it is all set and done, it always feels worth every minute. If I obsess over what could have been, I comfort myself knowing - hey - there is always NEXT YEAR!

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
I wish I had an exact clone of myself, either he could be at my job and I would be home doing stuff or both us at home, at the sane time doing work, he would be on my same wavelength, so he could accomplish something alse while I worked on something else too, I know I could trust him to get it right cuz he would be me;)...so how far away are we from actually cloning people?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Between work, home work for my night school class and building props, time is a luxury. This is my first year doing any decorating for Halloween and Im hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I have some finishing touches to do on my façade. I have a sleepy hollow style scarecrow to build this weekend. Im hoping it doesn't take me any longer than that to build. I need to cut a few more wood pallets into fencing and shred and dye a lot of burlap to make vines. The week of Halloween will be spent heading home and carving many jack o lanterns. Im feeling the stress of it all but I am having fun seeing things finally start to take shape. I was walking through Walmart with a cart full of pumpkins and just seeing and hearing the kids say "Mommy, mommy! Look at all the pumpkins!" was a good reminder of why I want to do this. Cant wait to see and hear the kids reactions on Halloween night :)

The biggest disappointment has been a scheduling conflict in my night school class. My teacher scheduled my mid-term on Halloween!! Of course, I talked to her and tried to get her to understand that Halloween is important to me and asked if I could write it any other time but alas, she would not budge so Ive decided to not write the test. Its a big hit in my overall grade but I cant re-schedule the holiday and Ive done too much work and spent too much money to pass on Halloween now

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
Between work, home work for my night school class and building props, time is a luxury. This is my first year doing any decorating for Halloween and Im hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I have some finishing touches to do on my façade. I have a sleepy hollow style scarecrow to build this weekend. Im hoping it doesn't take me any longer than that to build. I need to cut a few more wood pallets into fencing and shred and dye a lot of burlap to make vines. The week of Halloween will be spent heading home and carving many jack o lanterns. Im feeling the stress of it all but I am having fun seeing things finally start to take shape. I was walking through Walmart with a cart full of pumpkins and just seeing and hearing the kids say "Mommy, mommy! Look at all the pumpkins!" was a good reminder of why I want to do this. Cant wait to see and hear the kids reactions on Halloween night :)

The biggest disappointment has been a scheduling conflict in my night school class. My teacher scheduled my mid-term on Halloween!! Of course, I talked to her and tried to get her to understand that Halloween is important to me and asked if I could write it any other time but alas, she would not budge so Ive decided to not write the test. Its a big hit in my overall grade but I cant re-schedule the holiday and Ive done too much work and spent too much money to pass on Halloween now
I left you a message on your visitor page. DONT BLOW OFF SCHOOL!!!! It is sooo much more important!

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
Yup very tired, working all day, getting kids to extracarricular activities in the evening, and trying to work on Halloween stuff is so tiring. To make matters worse, I often wake up in the middle of the night and start thinking about what needs to be done....and that is it I am awake for the rest of the night. On the upside, we do have our cemtery up, but I am still distressing props for the garage and corn maze!! This weekend we are doing same as jdubbya, hauling truck loads of corn stalks for our maze....is it November yet?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts