Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a pirates theme for part of my yard...and recently have been inspired with some under the sea decor (from my birthday sea witches tea party) to possibly add a mermaid area to my pirates scene.

I'm thinking skeleton mermaid since all of my pirates are skeletons
mermaid.jpg

Has anyone ever attempted this?

I'm not sure if I would do an under water cavern type set up for her, or maybe she was a pirate prisoner or caught in a net.

Looking for ideas/photos that other's have done & also any suggestions for making the mermaid skeleton tail :)

I also just bought the silver/black life size skeleton from Michaels & was thinking I might use that one as a base (it is quite a bit smaller than the pose n stays from costco which my pirates are...height is comparable, but front to back it's very compact, so might make a good female skeleton I'm thinking)
chrome.jpg

Ideas & photos Much Appreciated!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Someone on here did a pirate theme and had mermaids in their display, I would say checkout the photo albums. Maybe there would be some inspiration there.

I like the pirate skeleton idea but instead of a skeleton mermaid, what if you made her a regular mermaid but with hypnotizing eyes? Maybe she sang the pirates to their death or maybe she seduced them and sucked the life out of them? Sort of like a Medusa character but instead of turning them to stone she turns them into a skeleton? Might be a cool setup and you would just need to worry about getting the top half of a female mannequin. A wavy wig, an adult mermaid tail and VOILA! A green spotlight on her would be eerie.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooh, that is a very interesting take :) I searched for mermaid on the forum, didn't turn up much, I have never searched the photo albums before, I will see how to do that, thank you!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We did a Scary Tales theme one year. I needed a space filler, so threw together a "Little Mermaid" meets "Deadliest Catch" prop.

Simple, but it received some nice comments at our party.

Eric

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey TZGirls -

We did Pirates last year and had an absolute blast - 7-foot cannon, selfie-pillory, Kraken Sea Monsters, and yes - a Mermaid. Our Mermaid was based upon another design from HF and used the clear packing tape concept to keep it lightweight. She was suspended in a fake tank of water with an underwater tank lighting effect. Some kids panicked when they saw her on the porch - it was terrible fun! Check out our builds through our profile!

20151025_165836.jpg

20151028_184624.jpg

Mermaid 88.jpg

Mermaid 62.jpg

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutor...e-themed-mermaid-prop-using-packing-tape.html

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey TZGirls -

We did Pirates last year and had an absolute blast - 7-foot cannon, selfie-pillory, Kraken Sea Monsters, and yes - a Mermaid. Our Mermaid was based upon another design from HF and used the clear packing tape concept to keep it lightweight. She was suspended in a fake tank of water with an underwater tank lighting effect. Some kids panicked when they saw her on the porch - it was terrible fun! Check our our builds through our profile!

View attachment 281843

View attachment 281844

View attachment 281845

View attachment 281846

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutor...e-themed-mermaid-prop-using-packing-tape.html
LOVE this mermaid!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great mermaid props everyone!! So talented & creative :) Thank you all so much for your replies, I have a great place to start!

·
Registered
738 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Nice job on all including the mermaid Frightshow. I can't even imagine trying to sculpt a human (or mermaid) looking face lol. It was a Glow in the dark skeleton I used tzgirls123. I sorely lack the skills and originality of others on here :) I had quite a few I picked up from GR on clearance and tried painting it a bone color. I will humor you by telling you what I did and maybe you can use a little of everyone's ideas and see what you come up with. After removing legs I attached pvc to it. Off hand I can't remember where as it was a few years ago. I cut small varied size circles of pool noodle and stuck skewer sticks in them and used the cotton ball/modge podge over all of it, thinly on sticks too, to blend them in and painted. End of tail is construction foam. I used the flexible cpvc (?) so her tail was able to be bent easily.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts