Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I am panicking too early, but I sent about 60 invitations out this week and a couple people have commented to me that the date maybe an issue, or that they will have to come late because of TOT'ers.

Now, we live on a private drive in a very rural area. The issue is not TOT'ers at our house. And my wife an I are in our late 40s and most of our friends are in their 40s, and I would say that most don't have very youg kids.

My thought was that TOT'ing is usually over by by 7 or so, in fact I think our tiny town of 3000 actually mandates it (but probably wouldn't enforce it), but of course lots of our guests don't live in our town. We said 7:30 on the invite, but even on non-31st parties, the house doesn't fill up until 8:30-9:00 anyway.

Just wondering how big of a deal this might be. My thoughts were guests with kids would let them (or go with them) to TOT at dusk, or just past night fall, then come home, get in their costumes and come to our party, using sitters if needed. Our parties usually go pretty late, and have always been on the Daylight savings time Sat, so people always think they can stay later anyway.

Anyone else having a 10/31 party?

·
Registered
33 Posts
With Halloween being on a Saturday this year, you'll probably get more people than you think.

The problem with invitations (as cool as they are) is 1) some people don't open their mail until the weekend 2) some will open the invite and think "yeah, I'll go to that" but set the invite down and forget to r.s.v.p. 3) other mail gets set on top of the invitation and it gets lost. etc.

I've had this happen and end up having people show up and say, "Oh, sorry I forgot to r.s.v.p.!"

You'll have a good turnout. Have fun!!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I included a little fridge magnet with the "Omenwood Hotel" logo and date, AND I think that being on Halloween will actually help people remember, normally its "another" date and something else for people to lose or forget. Probably 95% of the people we invite get invited every year anyway, and most start asking me "when is the party this year" in Sept-Oct.

I find turnout very hard to predict. We've had years where we got less than 20 people and other years where we had 50+, for the same number of invites. You just have to respect and accept that people's lives are complex and sometimes they can't come even if they want to. And some people just aren't Halloween party people no matter what (like some of the neighbors, we live on a private drive with 4 other homes, so we are really not so much inviting as saying "this is the one night of the year we will be loud, lots of cars, and you'll see lightening......!" Get used to it.)

Then again, we have a decent group that say they "wouldn't miss it for the world". One guy is a part time disc jockey and told me he was approached to do a gig on the 31st and he said "Sorry, I can't do that date....."

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's hard to plan how much food to have and other things when you don't know how many to expect. I guess you just buy enough for 50, huh? Or do you do a pot luck?

You know you have great parties when someone passes up other great opportunities so they can be at your house.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oddly food has never been an issue. Most people RSVP so we get a sense of how many. People always ask if they can bring stuff and we just say any finger food. We usually do some oven heated wings or something like that, a huge beer cooler and some wine and NABs (non alcoholic bevs) and waters. There is always food left over..... that is why we let our teenagers have party the next night!!!

We just rearrange everything on the platters and go again....:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
We're doing our party on the 24th this year. However, we are in our early 30's and the majority of our guests are our age or younger so the kids would be a problem. We thought about the 30th, but to many people have to work on Friday, as do we, and that would leave us very limited time to decorate. If your guests don't have kids of their own to take out TOTing I don't think you have anything to worry about. You should have a good turnout.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If Halloween falls on a weekend night(Fri/Sat), then that's when my group holds the parties. The kids of any party-goers are welcome, or can be looked after elsewhere.

If that's when you want to hold it, go for it, I shouldn't see why it would be a major problem for anyone. :)
If some guests are going to come a little later, don't worry, you'll have a more stress-free beginning, and should be a little more 'laid-back';) by the time they arrive :cool:

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I live in the netherlands where there is no treat or treating and halloween isnt a holiday. So we do our parties the last saturday in october....so this year it will be on the 31th!

MsM

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy to report we have about 30 RSVPs so far, I know some will not come, but I also know some others who will not reply, but will come. 30 guests is critical mass in my book. I think we invited about 100.

A few said they will come later (Ok, by me, the big event doesn't happen until about 10p anyway) because they want to be home for the TOTers. Some asked why I did it on the 31st, I just reply "shouldn't be a problem. Any kids out TOTing after about 7-8 are older and trouble makers anyway......"

Q for the group: Do you think it is mean/unfair/unethical for us to set all of the clocks in the house back an hour BEFORE the party starts so people won't be inclined to leave too early? DST is that night (well , next am at 2am).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am doing one on the 31st! My party will start at 9pm to give parents time to take the little ones trick or treating. This is my first party and I am super excited......I have 47 ppl confirmed!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am having my party this year on the 31st as well. Totters around this area are done by 7:30 or 8:00pm. Even earlier sometimes. My party is starting at 9:00pm. I figure those who have to bring kids to a babysitter won't arrive till after 9ish. Which isn't a big deal for us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same here Fallendarkangel, ours also starts at 9pm., so far about 40 confirmed. This is our 1st Halloween party. We live in a cul-de-sac, so plenty of parking. I'm excited also, just still have lots to do this weekend. I have wonderful friends in the neighborhood and have delegated appetizers and other projects to them. Can't wait, just hope it doesn't rain!!

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
I'm having a 31 party as well but am running into the problem that I can't seem to get any of my friends to come. I'm getting a ton of maybes and a bunch of excuses but no I'll be there's.

Can't help it but this hurts my feelings, ALL my friends know how much Halloween means to me but still nobody is coming. This was to be my first and it looks like it will be my last attempt at a Halloween party. :(

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
We do a halloween party each year on the 31st. As far as TOTs for some odd reason the city officals mandate when TOTing will be done. Last year it was two days before halloween. But with Halloween on saturday this year we expect a big turnout. We scheadule our party to start at 8:00 PM which means most will show around 9ish. Most of the TOTS are done by this time so its relly not an issue. we had some stragglers last year but anyone that was in the house that heard them filled them up with candy.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ours is 31st, we're at 50+, more than doubled from last year - I'm a little scared, but really excited that people are telling me they are excited about it, wouldn't miss it, are working on costumes, etc. A few have kids and bring them trick or treating first, or send them out with grandma - I make it clear all year round kids aren't invited and the few people who can't be parted from their spawn just don't come - which is fine. The party starts at 8, and I always hold my and worry nobody will show, but so far so good!

·
Registered
97 Posts
we were thinking the same for our party when we decided to do it ON halloween - which hasn't been a Saturday for the last 4 years we have done a Halloween bash.

This year is our biggest invite list - 92, our biggest confirmed - 73, and strangely enough, going to be our smallest food bill.

how?

We are having a food contest. We do costume contests, so what's a few more trophies?

As for the 31st issue, we have a few ppl and families that aren't coming or "maybe coming late cause we always do BLAHBLAHBLAH on Halloween" because of the date. We usually go the Saturday after Halloween.

we have been decorating for a few days, and the cooking starts on Thursday.

·
Registered
203 Posts
In this area the TOTers start at 6 and finish at a little after 8pm. This is standard here in Ottawa and it was the same when I lived in Toronto. So parents with kids who TOT, they get home after 8 and usually sort out the candy (good stuff like chocolate and horrible stuff like halloween kisses LOL), then get the costumes off etc. I remember when I was a kid, we sured used all of those two hours to get as much loot as possible!

I would never expect those with kids to be at our house any earlier than 9pm. I have our invitations for after 8:30pm, so the TOT can clear off our street.

There should be lots of parties this year - it may be difficult for some folks to get babysitters as most of the teens will be at parties too.

I find people are slow to RSVP as well. It is pretty standard. I hope everyone confirms in the next couple of days so I can buy the food and booze for the party!

·
Master of Scaremonies
6,363 Posts
We are, because it is my wife's grandmother's 85 bday. So, we're having a bunch of family here for the pary, and then some are staying for the yard haunt and TOTers. I also have my nephew's birthday to attend that afternoon, so needless to say Hween this year is a lot!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This will be my first halloween party and we're doing it on the 31st at 8p. Kids are welcome at ours, so I figured after everyone is done they can just come by our place. I have 2 karaoke machines, so the guest room and our bedroom will be setup for the kids with their own karaoke and game cube. The adults will have the rest of the house. So far we only have about 15 ppl, but didn't plan for a huge bash as this is our first. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts