Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've started picking up bags of candy bars already. Thinking we'll go through at least 600 this year with it being on a Saturday. The fun sized bars are running about $2.67 a bag so we're spacing out the purchase so we don't get hammered all at once.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
They're really going high tech with those fun size bars. Don't know how they manage to keep making them smaller and smaller and.. It's not my imagination, right?

We get few enough kids that we try to get them either Pringles or Kinder Eggs. But we always have to hit a few stores to get enough stock, so the relay will begin soon. I don't know that we'd be able to afford 600 of anything.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
amazed at how much more expensive candy has gotten and how much less you are getting for it this year. I'm done with handing out full size candy bars and have picked up a variety of the "ain't no damn fun" size bars.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
amazed at how much more expensive candy has gotten and how much less you are getting for it this year. I'm done with handing out full size candy bars and have picked up a variety of the "ain't no damn fun" size bars.
Yup, it is pricey this year. Fun sized bars aren't really a bad deal. We get kit kats (my favorite!) and you get 21 in a bag so for ten bucks and change you get 80+ bars. The kids that come to our house see the candy as a token. They come for the haunted house. One year we ran out of candy and no one cared, they just wanted to go through the haunt.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I got 4 bags so far at Walgreens and pencils and some toys I may get 2 more bags in mid October

·
Registered
394 Posts
We buy chips. I already have 2 boxes of 50. I only buy chocolate the weekend before halloween...I have no self control with those!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ha..."yet". I've been buying candy for the last several weeks. Target had a good deal last week where they had several different bags of candy for 40% off. But my local grocery chain had an even better deal; they had buy one, get one free coupons. So I got 4 $9 bags of candy, 180 pieces each, for $18.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not yet. I'll wait until the weekend before and pick up 1-2 bags from Sam's. It's the best deal that I've found. If I buy it too early I end up having to buy more.

We have handed out Play-Doh in the past and that was a huge hit, especially with teenagers. We had candy or Play-Doh and let the kids pick. A lot of the little kids went for the candy, but pre-teens and up went for Play-Doh almost every time. We thought about Halloween comics this year, but forgot to order them from our local shop in time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah .. I think I'm going to beg off full sized bars this year too. :( We get almost 500 tot'ers now and the candy prices are insane this year!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Publix grocery stores usually start having candy BOGO that's a pretty good deal, so once those sales start I'll start buying. Then we do a major haul at Target as they usually have the best sale right before Halloween. They're also the only place here that sells Hersheys with Almonds bars.

·
Registered
414 Posts
yeah, I bought 3 bags of fun size kit kat last week, they're almost all gone lol! But yeah, I don't buy candy for the TOTers until the last week of Halloween, otherwise I would eat all of it. I have no will power
Glad I'm not the only one. Bought a bag of rockets (smarties for you Americans) and they're totally gone. I'll buy candy for the TOTs on Oct 30th.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I started last week. So far I have 110 Blow Pops and 110 Tootsie Pops. I expect at least 600 kids and I like to give 2 pieces per kid. I used to give a Tootsie Pop and a fun size bar but all chocolate has gotten so pricey and the kids couldn't care less anyway, so now the second piece is more likely bubblegum or sweet tarts, something along those lines.
I'll buy more of the tootsie/blow pops this week at $4.88 per 55 count bag. Since my son, dil, and daughter will be joining us this year I'm having them supply some candy as well to help ease the burden.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,035 Posts
Yep...picked up some Halloween orange frosted Kit Kats and the Charlie Brown/Peanuts character Fall Crunch Bars. I am desperately trying to not eat them, because I love both...especially the Kit Kats, lol. Also have stickers and GitD toys purchased. I need to get the treat bags, themselves, yet.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You guys are better than me. I don't hand out chocolate - too pricey. My trick or treaters get Nerds, Smarties, Skittles, etc. (I try to give out a small handful to each kid, since we don't get a ton of people coming by). The chocolate and peanut butter cups and the like, I save for my personal stash.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
You guys are better than me. I don't hand out chocolate - too pricey. My trick or treaters get Nerds, Smarties, Skittles, etc. (I try to give out a small handful to each kid, since we don't get a ton of people coming by). The chocolate and peanut butter cups and the like, I save for my personal stash.
I quit giving out chocolate a couple of years ago.
#1 It's too expensive
#2 My daughter, who is an elementary school teacher, convinced me that kids couldn't care less about chocolate. In fact, most would rather have bubblegum, skittles, smarties, nerds, etc.
#3 No more trying to keep my husband out of the trick or treat stash! ;)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts