Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
I have, but not that one. Mine was made by Rainwalker. I looked and he doesn't have any for sale right now. Meyer's Madness also bought one of his. He had a 4 RPM motor which I like better than the 5.6 RPM motor I have. The slower motion looks much better...more graceful and ghost-like.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,115 Posts
I'd much rather purchase a new set up including rig and motor for $149.99 from Kentucky Special FX: HALLOWEEN Floating Blacklight Flying Crank Ghost Animated Motorized FCG Deco, get my choice of color and head type as well. This is a great deal in my opinion (if you don't want to make your own) and I have a couple of ghost props from KSFX and have been very happy with thier quality, service and speed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks Johnny! Thats a great link... maybe I'll go with that. Sux that the body is a longer body, but I guess whatever. Wonder how big the moter is...cuz like Terra said..if it goes slower its more real. Thanks everyone!

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
I have last year. Bought one from a seller (rainwalker) looks like not selling since jan......not sure why, but had one of the best metal rig.
I have purchased other items from onestop zombie shop ( not an FCG ) had no problems with them............
I prefer a metal rig unit, so never have seen onestop zombieshop's don't know too much about his.
Would consider buying kentucky FX's if i had to another one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got one

I just bought one off ebay from this same guy (one stop Zombie shop) it was super fast shipping and the product is great! The motor is slow so it looks awesome. He has a video on the auction site and it is exact. We paid $130.00 under best offer and he accepted. We tried it out in the new mausoleom we just built and with blacklight it is great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
How i wish my neighbor showed me his first

well, now I feel ripped off. Last night my neighbor showed me his that he purchased from Kentucky FX. It is a red faceless demon ghost and it is way better than mine. It is about 6 feet tall and you would not appreciate it unless you see it. pictures on line dont do it justice. go to Ketucky Special FX and pick your color and model and you will be satisfied.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Motor = $10
hardware = $5
head = $20?? (made mine for $1)
cheese cloth = $5
Wood support = free
fishing line = free
wire = free

250% markup... am I missing something?

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Motor = $10
hardware = $5
head = $20?? (made mine for $1)
cheese cloth = $5
Wood support = free
fishing line = free
wire = free

250% markup... am I missing something?
Yeah, I know :eek: but I bought this because 2 years ago because I flat could not wrap my head around how to make these things. I thought that I'd buy one and then see how it's made and I could do similar props from there.

I discovered that I can indeed make simple motor cranks like this (see my weeping angle tombstone) but when it comes to welding rigs (like for pneumatic props), I'm going to stick to buying the rigs. The rig was the main reason I bought my FCG on eBay by the way.

Now with my new knowledge, yes, I could easily make one. But for newbie's, it's a valid short-cut IMHO.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That's cool Terra. The props you have shared on here definatley speak to the creative side of your brain. Being more on the logic side, this one seemed fairly easy. ;)

I am still bummed by how much anyone is charging for these! It almost seems like if a guy could sit on about a couple hundred worth of inventory that you could crank these out and sell them at $60 to $80 and still make a descent profit! Once you have your material list, it only takes an hour or two to make one. I bet with an assembly line setup in your shop, one could crank these out alot faster.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
That's cool Terra. The props you have shared on here definatley speak to the creative side of your brain. Being more on the logic side, this one seemed fairly easy. ;)

I am still bummed by how much anyone is charging for these! It almost seems like if a guy could sit on about a couple hundred worth of inventory that you could crank these out and sell them at $60 to $80 and still make a descent profit! Once you have your material list, it only takes an hour or two to make one. I bet with an assembly line setup in your shop, one could crank these out alot faster.
Agreed. I paid a lot for mine, ($200?) but, hey, that's all that was available (for a high quality FCG). I would think it would be an excellent business opportunity to offer these for a lesser price.

I do have to say that Rainmaker's props was 100% top quality and worth the money. This baby will last 30 years, :p The only complaint was that I wish it had a slower motor. I really do think the 4 RPM is a better speed.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Yep, I think a big of the cost factor for mine is because it has a Dayton motor. So, is the speed control switch something you could attach to a Dayton motor? When I break mine out, I'm gonna try attaching a dimming switch to see if it slows down any.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Price really depends on the motor used, mine cost me about a hundred to make. I have to say it is very good quality. You can actually slow the motor down or speed it up usung a speed contol switch. Halloween Forum - Arastorm's Album: Halloween 2008 - Picture
Beyond being able to adjust speed, what makes a motor of good quality? Earlier this year I ran my $10 disco ball motor pulling my fcg for a day with out any problems.

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
A ggod quality motor should have (relatively) a lot of torque, especially for an fcg. A disco ball motor isn't that strong, and may burn out after a while. the gear motors from grainger, etc. are meant to handle heavier loads.

Terra, I just tried slowing down my motor with a variable autotransformer (basically a heavy-duty dimmer switch, and it barely slowed it down at all, but instead made it lose A LOT of torque, not sure if it will do the same for you.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Terra, I just tried slowing down my motor with a variable autotransformer (basically a heavy-duty dimmer switch, and it barely slowed it down at all, but instead made it lose A LOT of torque, not sure if it will do the same for you.
That makes sense. Well, if it slows down, great...if not the 6 RPM is still a good speed.

I have that motor for my weeping angel tombstone. I don't think it has enough torque for a FCG. It would have to be really, really lightweight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have something similar to this... Donna the Dead. Only cost me $29.99 on BuyCostumes.com.

Don't see it on the BC site this year but you might be able to google/ebay it... and it looks pretty much as good as the one above.

Rp

1 - 20 of 58 Posts